Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetsuit Alteration?

Options
  • 23-08-2008 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

i was just wondering if anyone has any experience in wetsuit alteration? Just got a nice Xcel 3/2 for cheap but the arms and leg are slightly too long for me - fits fine when dry but obviously stretches when wet.

was thinking of cutting the arms and legs myself and maybe gluing the seams. anyone done this before or am i crazy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

:eek: ok i think it sounds crazy!!! if i were u i would bring it to an alterations shop or somthing.... excel or real good wetsuit be a disaster if ya made a balls of it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 connell

I had the same problem with my new c-skins wired suit.I did alot of research as to how to alter a suit and from what I could see,although its not ideal,the only way is to cut the arms and legs to size,making sure to measure and mark them very accurately as you only get one shot at this.My advice would be to wear the suit for about a half hour or so to let it conform to your shape and size and then decide how much you wana take off.You then,using the sharpest scissors you can find,cut..You then have to put a stitch in on the seam near where you cut,much like whats there already.Thick nylon thread is your best bet for this.You then simply smear a bit of black witch,or the like,over this stitch.....

But Wait!!!!!Before you commit to doing this,take note that the arms and legs of a suit are tapered in from the ends up,meaning that the wrists and ankles of the suit are much narrower than further up on the arms/legs..So this could cause a malor problem if you need to take alot off the arms as you could end up with a suit thats baggy around your wrists and ankles and this would make it pretty useless!!!Youll prob get away with taking a nice bit off the legs but be very careful with the arms!!!

I luckily,did this to an old torn suit before commiting to it on my new c-skins and it worked out ok as i didnt have to trim much off and as long as the scissors is sharp there wont be any frayed ends.I however decided to try and "wear in" my new suit a bit more before cutting it and found that after about 5 wears it started to comform to me a bit better and when I pulled the excess neoprene in from my arms towards my chest I found it started to almost shrink...The reason for this I think is that my suit much like yours i imagine is made from 100% stretch neoprene and in the process of putting it on it was stretching and as its new it was taking a while to go back to its original form.You may want to give it another chance and try this before you cut it...But as you say it stretchs when wet I dunno would this work for you.

Anyway,I hope this helps!!And I hope you dont wreck your suit trying to get it to fit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 muzza78

cheers connell-still not totally decided on what I'll do. I'm tempted to follow your advice though.

it is a tough one as the suit is pretty much useless as is - the arms and legs are so long they fold mid-surf and I end up collecting alot of water which makes paddling a bit tougher :-) I may as well try to get some use out of it by cutting it.

unless anyone is in the market for a reasonably new Xcel Infiniti OS-Zip 3/2 (Size XLT)? :-) I'm 6'4" so I reckon it would be great for someone 6'5" or taller.

Advertisement