Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is historys greatest general/military leader?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Pgibson wrote: »
    Yes I am.

Well you shouldn't be...Wiki has no legitimate place in historic studies as anyone in the discipline knows... it is not peer regulated and it just the opinion of whomever chooses to post. No historic review of any standing allows references from this source. I know, I work in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

MarchDub wrote: »
    Well you shouldn't be...Wiki has no legitimate place in historic studies as anyone in the discipline knows... it is not peer regulated and it just the opinion of whomever chooses to post. No historic review of any standing allows references from this source. I know, I work in the area.

I think the general rule of thumb, is that if wiki agrees with you, quote it, if not state what you just have.

You are correct though, there is a lot on Wiki that is written by people with an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,051 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think the general rule of thumb, is that if wiki agrees with you, quote it, if not state what you just have.

You are correct though, there is a lot on Wiki that is written by people with an agenda.

Not unlike some of the posts on here. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 donal_cam

Interesting topic I must say. Our own Sir Phelim O'Neill, who was a great defensive general: the Siege of Charlemont, where he commanded the defence, was the scene of a stand which rivaled the Battle of Thermopylae- except it succeeded.

The small remains of the Ulster Army, which had been almost completely destroyed at Scarrhofilis a month prior to the siege, repelled an assault on Charlemont fortress by the forces of Charles Coote. Coote was infamous for ordering the slaughter of Catholics, and so everyone in the fort took up arms- according to the accounts, even the women carried arms- and the assault was repelled, with the defenders killing between 600 and 800 soldiers in 2 hours, using even pots of boiled urine as weapons in their desperate battle. Although they surrendered the fortress, they kept their lives and arms and were allowed to depart for any port they wished, something that was unheard of for anyone surrendering to Coote who happened to be an Irish Catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

No linking to your own blog to promote it and no vamping threads. Consider this a warning. Mod.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement