Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Man Utd sign Usain Bolt?

• 23-08-2008 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Do you think he would be a good footballer? I don't think it would be hard to teach him some basic football skills, and then he would be all set. He would absolutely smoke every defender. Surely he would be want to be a footballer himself since there is so much more money in it than athletics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Do you think he would be a good footballer? I don't think it would be hard to teach him some basic football skills, and then he would be all set. He would absolutely smoke every defender. Surely he would be want to be a footballer himself since there is so much more money in it than athletics.

liverpool tried this with djibril cisse. never worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well if Dwayne Chambers can learn to play rugby....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

football_fail.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Xavi6 wrote: »

in the end he was dropped though wasnt he cus he was never ever going to be good enough?
    wales rugby team tried something similar years ago with the 110 metre hurdler(?)
    nigel walker. he actually played for wales in the 6 nations but really wasnt good enough.
    in a short period of time you can teach someone basic skills but not real professional skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

did he? who did he play for? was he any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yep. Cleary all you need to be a footballer is incredible speed. Who cares about that round inflatable thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Surely he would be want to be a footballer himself since there is so much more money in it than athletics.

Well, considering sprinting is the biggest sport in Jamaica he probably is perfectly happy being one and there's probably allot more money for the record holder of the 100m and 200m in sponsorship deals and prize money than there is for another Djibril Cisse

in the end he was dropped though wasnt he cus he was never ever going to be good enough?

Yeah I know, my post was meant to be sarcastic. Shoulda used a rolleyes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

wales rugby team tried something similar years ago with the 110 metre hurdler(?)
    nigel walker. he actually played for wales in the 6 nations but really wasnt good enough.
    in a short period of time you can teach someone basic skills but not real professional skills.

I reckon it would be a lot easier to teach somebody the basics of soccer as opposed to rugby, still dont think it would work, though he is 6'7(iirc) so he may have some ariel skills too....:rolleyes:

Yeah I know, my post was meant to be sarcastic. Shoulda used a rolleyes!

thats what they are there for ;)

• Advertisement

eddiehead wrote: »
    I reckon it would be a lot easier to teach somebody the basics of soccer as opposed to rugby, still dont think it would work, though he is 6'7(iirc) so he may have some ariel skills too....:rolleyes:

Good touch for a big man and all that

eddiehead wrote: »

i would disagree - if you are a fast runner all you need to do is stand on the wing and run in rugby. its just about teaching someone to catch the ball.
    this is the reason people like chambers and walker were offered chances at rugby at the highest level. you rarely hear of soccer teams offering chances to athletes.
    soccer requires a first touch, the ability to pass and hold up a ball.

well if they trained him intensively for a year he would acquire sufficient skills to stick the ball in the back of the net I think

well if they trained him intensively for a year he would acquire sufficient skills to stick the ball in the back of the net I think

How do you figure that? He may very well not be able to kick snow off a rope.

I'd rather start with someone who is a very good footballer and get him fit and quick than pick someone who may never have kicked a ball purely on the basis that he is fast.

And what about all the players already playign that cant score goals regularly? If it's that easy to just teach them, the clubs woudl hardlyt be paying them for less.

Stekelly wrote: »

I'd rather start with someone who is a very good footballer and get him fit and quick than pick someone who may never have kicked a ball purely on the basis that he is fast.

That hasn't stopped Voronin :pac:

Stekelly wrote: »

And what about all the players already playign that cant score goals regularly? If it's that easy to just teach them, the clubs woudl hardlyt be paying them for less.

i just think being the fastest man on the planet by a country mile is quite a good attribute to have. And lets be honest, it really isn't that hard to pick up football skills. It doesn't matter if someone has never played football before, if he spent a year doing nothing but kicking a ball he would soon pick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Right now for United, I'd take him.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

haha why jus usain bolt? why nt one of the english sprinters? the only difference is few tenths of a second over 100 metres so there all unbelievabley fast....and i dnt think soccer pitches are even 100 metres long!:P

I remember darren campbell playin sum charity match fr sky and he looked quite decent...he could be a lower league player if he wanted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

he'd be useless. in soccer pace is needed over the first 2 or 3 yards, which Bolt wouldn't have. if you watch his sprints, he's pretty slow off the blocks (the only reason he entered in the 100m initially was that his coach thought it would help improve it). where he wins the race is with his stride and momentum, usually around 30 metres he starts to gain on the rest. this isn't really useful in soccer at all, by that point he'd be over the endline. he's all power so he wouldn't exactly be light enough on his feet either for the twisting and turning for them diagonal runs. he'd just appear big and clumsy imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i just think being the fastest man on the planet by a country mile is quite a good attribute to have. And lets be honest, it really isn't that hard to pick up football skills. It doesn't matter if someone has never played football before, if he spent a year doing nothing but kicking a ball he would soon pick it up.
    Are you serious?! Have you never seen a girl (or guy for that matter) who has never kicked a ball before have a go in a mess game? They get destroyed and made a fool of by anyone anyway decent, and thats at 5 a side mess game level! For gods sake, whats the point in getting to the ball 3 seconds earlier then everyone else, if it takes you 2 seconds just to get it under control and you cant pass or shoot under pressure. You cant teach someone to play at Premiership level in a year. It takes a lifetime of playing.
    haha why jus usain bolt? why nt one of the english sprinters? the only difference is few tenths of a second over 100 metres so there all unbelievabley fast....and i dnt think soccer pitches are even 100 metres long!:P
    Average pitch is pretty much right around the 100m mark, slightly less, given that pitches are often in the middle of tracks and byline to byline the max they can be is 100m under those circumstances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'd say he'd be useless so yes they should sign him for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

he'd be useless. in soccer pace is needed over the first 2 or 3 yards, which Bolt wouldn't have. if you watch his sprints, he's pretty slow off the blocks (the only reason he entered in the 100m initially was that his coach thought it would help improve it). where he wins the race is with his stride and momentum, usually around 30 metres he starts to gain on the rest. this isn't really useful in soccer at all, by that point he'd be over the endline. he's all power so he wouldn't exactly be light enough on his feet either for the twisting and turning for them diagonal runs. he'd just appear big and clumsy imo.
    Make him an attacking fullback / wingback then? He'll have the length of one side if the pitch to attack and get into his stride!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

And lets be honest, it really isn't that hard to pick up football skills.

Why arent you a pro footballers then? You dont even need to be fast. Is its that easy to pick up the skills you should be a top goalie or goal poachers by now.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

he'd be useless....he'd just appear big and clumsy imo.

+1 Agreed. Bad idea. Like saying Tiger Woods would be a great hurler coz he hits a golf ball a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

TBH he's be more suited to the NFL. All you need to do is look at the history of how sprinters have faired in that code. Renaldo Nehemiah & Bob Hayes being prime examples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

evil_seed wrote: »
    TBH he's be more suited to the NFL. All you need to do is look at the history of how sprinters have faired in that code. Renaldo Nehemiah & Bob Hayes being prime examples

Truth, teach him how to catch a ball and he'd be a great wide reciver, got size, athleticism and speed, tailor made for it!

Dwayne Chambers got a contract with an NFL europe team before the league folded, if i remember correctly?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hey what about turning Peter Crouch into a World record breaking sprinter.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

evil_seed wrote: »
    Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Truth, teach him how to catch a ball and he'd be a great wide reciver, got size, athleticism and speed, tailor made for it!

Dwayne Chambers got a contract with an NFL europe team before the league folded, if i remember correctly?!

The NFL probably is the best fit - if only because historically it has a higher percentage of players who make the elite level despite not taking the game up properly until they are after 16 - 18. As said above, it takes a lifetime of preparation to become a premiership footballer.

However, if one properly considers the whole thing - the chances he would be able to make it are possibly 5% or less:

- The most important measurement in the NFL is pace over 40 yards - this again does not seem to be the strongest part of his abilities;
    - Most NFL defensive backs would be capable of running sub 10.4 100 meters. It is a super fast sport;
    - There is speed and then there is football speed. Will Bolt still be like lighting when he is in pads and cleats; when he is getting bumped on take off; when he having to adjust his body to position himself for catches (often with someone right there trying to take it away)?;

Yes, he is a monster when he gets into his stride and gets his head down. But can he be a fluid route runner with good hands and athleticism who is mentally and physically tough enough to compete with elite level defenders in the NFL? Most likely not.

It might be easy for those who haven't watched the game too much to think that he can just run in a straight line down the touchline, have the QB bomb it long - and then see Bolt outsprint all the cover to make an easy catch for the TD. Doesn't work like that though. If that was truly all he could do they would just back his cornerback off him at the line 5 - 10 yards and he would beat Bolt to it just about every time. On the other hand, if they tried to have Bolt run more than just Fly patterns they could get the cornerback to jam him on the line and hit him within five yards of his starting position and make it difficult for him to get off and running.

The man is a great sprinter. Lets just enjoy that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭hughes2558

He would be more likely to go to Stoke. He's best friends with Ricardo Fuller..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

This thread is so retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

hughes2558 wrote: »
    He would be more likely to go to Stoke. He's best friends with Ricardo Fuller..

Someone was watching Match of the day today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Usain FTW:D

Imagine counter attack when he gets the ball:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

SantryRed wrote: »

this

Lighten up, it was clear this thread was a bit tongue in cheek, and intended more as a discussion of whether a world class sprinter could make it in a sport such as football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

el rabitos wrote: »
    liverpool tried this with djibril cisse. never worked

They did alright, but i guess yesterday's performance for Sunderland goes to show that he's talented and a good player... He needs direction! And i suppose it also goes with the team chemistry, manager and player attitude. I see great thing for Cisse in Sunderland, hope he doesn't make me eat my words.

• Advertisement

Lighten up, it was clear this thread was a bit tongue in cheek, and intended more as a discussion of whether a world class sprinter could make it in a sport such as football.

It's a big fat no. It's just like saying could Ciaran Whelan make it as a goalkeeper in football. He can catch balls.

Might not be able to dive though or kick it on the ground. See where I'm getting at?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

He would have the touch of a rapist like but im sure he would be fairly physical he looks rightly strong and if anyone can transform a player its fergie :D:D

But then again someone told me lua lua only touched a ball for the first time in his life 3 months before signing for newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

er, he was at Colchester a good two seasons before he joined the Toon.

Think it mighta been ameobi then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

curry-muff wrote: »
    Think it mighta been ameobi then

ameobi joined newcastle youth system at 13...before that he was already playing with another local team.

It's a big fat no. It's just like saying could Ciaran Whelan make it as a goalkeeper in football. He can catch balls.

Might not be able to dive though or kick it on the ground. See where I'm getting at?:rolleyes:

Thats not the same thing at all ya bollix ye. Having pace is a very important attribute for a footballer. Being able to catch a ball in the way a gaelic player does is not an important attribute for a keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Pace isnt all that important for a footballer, for wingers yes it helps but ball contol is more important and theres very few other positions where players need to go past players.

Id be pretty sure itd be easier to turn a gah player into a keeper.

Having pace is a very important attribute for a footballer. .

No. Having pace is an important attribute of SOME footballers. Theres plenty of slow footballers. Pele , Maradonna and George Best Would never have won any sprinting races against the fastest footballers, nver mind actuall sprinters.

Teddy Sheringham was probabyl slower than me.

All great players that didnt rely on pace as such

bohsman wrote: »
    Pace isnt all that important for a footballer, for wingers yes it helps but ball contol is more important and theres very few other positions where players need to go past players.

Id be pretty sure itd be easier to turn a gah player into a keeper.

Thats rubbish, midfielders and stirkers also need pace to get past players, and of course in turn defenders also need pace to keep up with the strikers and midfielders who are trying to get past them. And yeah I know there are some great players who didn't have pace blah blah blah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Thats rubbish, midfielders and stirkers also need pace to get past players, and of course in turn defenders also need pace to keep up with the strikers and midfielders who are trying to get past them. And yeah I know there are some great players who didn't have pace blah blah blah.

lol, Im the one talking rubbish yea...

Anyone thats fit and training full time is going to have enough pace, running 100m at 9.7 instead of 11 seconds just isnt enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

And yeah I know there are some great players who didn't have pace but as they don't fit my hypothesis, I'm choosing to ignore them.

Fixed your post for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

For all we know he is rubbish at football. In fact, seeing as he chose to concentrate on olympic athletics which for all we know is not a paid sport in Jamaica says it all (obviously he will rake in ad money and probably has cars already bought for him by sponsors, but do olympic athletes generally get paid by their country?). If he knew himself to be a great footballer he would have channeled his commitment there. Just because he can run like lightening doesnt mean he is great at controlling a ball at the same time.

And yeah I know there are some great players who didn't have pace blah blah blah.

I specifically chose the 3 players who are generally seen as the best players ever. I think if it's ok for them then the rest of us can deal with a lack of outright sprinting pace.

Jesus Christ mate, would you ever just shut up?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement