Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you cook? Do you feel you should be able to?

Options
  • 23-08-2008 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭

Ok for shame i am being misleading starting this thread as i need advice :o

I can cook the basics but i am not gordon ramsey (thank fcuk)

Ok heres my question. I am trying a chow mein and i bought frozen chicken pieces. After I cooked them i noticed on the pack that it says fully cooked, defrost thoroughly the night before. Can i use them to cook with even though i cooked from frozen?

Ok to the question at hand. I know a lot of women who cant cook, I also know a lot of men that can't.

My OH cant cook. Not even scrambled egg so its my repsonsibility to cook.

SOmeone i lived with before could only cook meals for one. By this I mean he could cook pototoes, veg and chops, but only enough for one person :eek:

Never offered myself or my son any. So do you feel its your responsibility to know how to cook being a woman?

Men would it put you off a woman if she couldnt cook and do you share the cooking chores or leave her to it cos its her job? :D

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Were they fully cooked and then frozen? And now you've cooked them straight from the freezer?

I'd be a bit wary of eating them if it says to defrost first to be honest.

I can cook, I used enjoy cooking dinner for my mates before I moved away from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

nouggatti wrote: »
    Were they fully cooked and then frozen? And now you've cooked them straight from the freezer?

I'd be a bit wary of eating them if it says to defrost first to be honest.

I can cook, I used enjoy cooking dinner for my mates before I moved away from Dublin.

It says fully cooked on the packet but i bought them from a a freezer and put them in my freezer when i got home. I assumed they were for stir frys and you could cook from frozen in a wok

Shouldnt have read the damn pack :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

I can cook don't bother me if the missus can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

can cook but am lazy.

Its a lot of work when you live alone and a lot of the time I cant be arsed with all the hassle.

I'd cook for somebody no bother though, and will admit to owning, and using a few cookbooks!!!

Actually find it quite satisfying cooking for a man and seeing them clear the plate..... it must be my old fashioned man serving gene kicking in!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Trinity1 wrote: »
    It says fully cooked on the packet but i bought them from a a freezer and put them in my freezer when i got home. I assumed they were for stir frys and you could cook from frozen in a wok

Shouldnt have read the damn pack :D

That's an easy mistake to make given that they were cooked in fairness.

I never get why you can some stuff from frozen and have to defrost other stuff for hours.

If you have more still frozen, you could defrost it in the microwave and use it??

Being lazy I am having a takeaway this evening :D

• Advertisement

nouggatti wrote: »
    That's an easy mistake to make given that they were cooked in fairness.

I never get why you can some stuff from frozen and have to defrost other stuff for hours.

If you have more still frozen, you could defrost it in the microwave and use it??

Being lazy I am having a takeaway this evening :D

I didnt even notice it said fully cooked until after i cooked them. See this is why i dont bother. Its microwave all the way for me.

A few weeks ago my mother commented that my partner is very good handing up the money he does and i dont even make him a stew or a bit of cabbage :D

He doesnt like cabbage :P

I am not a fan of veg or pasta anything like that so its very difficult to actaully find something to cook that i like.

Fried egg on toast with tomato ketchup hmmmm I would live on that :D

I think everyone should be able to cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I can cook pretty well but I adore baking! Breads, cakes, biscuits, pies, tarts....

I also do a mean Sunday roast.

Yum. Considering going into a business in that direction (baking not roasts!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I can cook,but i'm better at baking.Never had a girl cook for me *sad*

Myth wrote: »

Agreed for survival purposes when you move out of the parents but do youi mean the basics or fancy stuff :)

• Advertisement

I can cook,but i'm better at baking.Never had a girl cook for me *sad*

Last guy i cooked for asked me to cook for him, but then arrived an hour late, had already eaten and wasn't hungry so only ate about a quarter of it.

Mong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I don't feel like I should be able to, but I'd like to be able to.

Last guy i cooked for asked me to cook for him, but then arrived an hour late, had already eaten and wasn't hungry so only ate about a quarter of it.

Mong.

lolz how many times have you mentioned him on boards now-are you still angry?!Altho asking someone to cook for you seems wrong imo.I wouldnt turn up to a free meal late,but then i'm a poor student so...

Trinity1 wrote: »
    Agreed for survival purposes when you move out of the parents but do youi mean the basics or fancy stuff :)

Enough to survive at first, but really everyone should be able to make proper meals. I dunno, apparently I get 'very into' my cooking.

lolz how many times have you mentioned him on boards now-are you still angry?!Altho asking someone to cook for you seems wrong imo.I wouldnt turn up to a free meal late,but then i'm a poor student so...

I know, i really need to let it go dont i!!!

I was just highly insulted by it, but then i was a bigger eejit to cook for him in the first place.

It'll be a while before i cook for a guy again i can tell you!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Myth wrote: »

True, but there are some things that people just can't get the hang of no matter how hard they try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Yep, I can cook. I cook a lot of Indian food because I dated an Indian for four years and picked it up that way, plus it's healthy and cheap. I agree that everyone should be able to cook. A guy who can't cook a damn thing and isn't willing to learn would be a dealbreaker for me as far as a serious relationship is concerned.

I know, i really need to let it go dont i!!!

I was just highly insulted by it, but then i was a bigger eejit to cook for him in the first place.

It'll be a while before i cook for a guy again i can tell you!!

well maybe that anger will help prevent it happening again.I'd also be insulted if the same thing happened me,altho i wonder why you thought he was worth cooking for in the first place?That might derail the thread tho...

well i think he asked because he thought i wouldn't, and i did it to prove a point!!!

A lovely Jamie Oliver recipe and everything.....

Ok, I'll let it go!!

Back on topic: i love cooking a roast and i love baking too, tho i rarely have time to do either.......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i can handle pasta, eggs, scrambled or boiled, falafal, oven chips,and toast.

also fresh fruit and cereal. and um... that's kinda it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

I can cook well, but its probably because my Mum stayed at home and had the time to cook from scratch and I had that example to follow as normal.

I love cooking and baking generally and often cook for friends :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

i don't think women should be able to cook, i'm not that backward, but i'm telling you ladies now, 99% of men would secretly love if their woman could cook, just like 99% of women want a man who can do DIY and protect them from wild animals. we like to think we're in a modern and liberated society but the fact remains that you'll find it way easier to settle down with a nice man if you can do the magic in the kitchen, over the magic in the bedroom.

personally i can cook pretty well so i'm not too bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I can cook, and I quite enjoy it. I don't feel that it's my responsibility as a woman to know how to cook, but I do feel that it is my responsibility as an independent adult to be able to cook good, healthy food for myself (and others if needed).

I'm good at cooking savoury dishes, I do a very good chili con carne and a really nice Thai green curry. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Zaph wrote: »
    True, but there are some things that people just can't get the hang of no matter how hard they try.

It's 3 minutes for soft and 5 for hard boiled...

Zaph wrote: »

I've started thinking that most of the time it would be people who don't bother rather than don't get the hang of it (from anecdotal evidence around some of my friends before anyone pounces on me).

Even simple meals that come with a jar of sauce with some rice, meat, and mixed veg some people I know wouldn't cook, rather than couldn't cook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭twinkle77

I love to cook and bake always have. Had a dinner party for friends last night. Cook for them all the time. Always get compliments......so I take that to mean I am an OK cook.

I cooked for my ex every weekend (we took turns durning the week) and loved every minute, he always appreciated it so much especially the deserts. Thats why I enjoyed it so much. He was a terrible cook to start with but picked up things from me and ended up being an ok cook (with supervision) after a while!

I dont feel I have to cook but enjoy it instead think it came from my mother who was a stay a home Mam and made me help her every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

twinkle77 wrote: »
    I cooked for my ex every weekend (we took turns durning the week) and loved every minute, he always appreciated it so much especially the deserts. Thats why I enjoyed it so much.

I think that makes a huge difference. I cooked for my ex every day, and the biggest compliment I ever got was "It's nice." Mind you, I learned to cook a foreign cuisine for him. His friends always raved about my cooking, so I know it wasn't that my food sucked or anything. Maybe if I were to have an appreciative man I'd be more inclined to cook for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭North&South

Well, to start with - WHY frozen cooked chicken?
    A fresh chicken fillet takes minutes to cook if it's cut into chunks... and then at least you know HOW it's been cooked & what it's been cooked in.

I had a spare few minutes one night last year & was trawling thru some sites....
    I found a site that showed graphs from the 70's & 80's of obesity increase in the US.... the graph rose & almost perfectly matched the graph that showed the increase in popularity of processed foods.... coincidence?

I don't think so.

I cook - sometimes simple meats & veggies, sometimes chinese, indian, I make a mean spag bog..... and I bake too - I make bread, we grow some of our own veg, and if you ask my 4 yr old granddaughter what makes yorkshire puddings, she'll tell you - amounts & all (it's her regular sunday job!)

It's not because I'm a woman - it's because I'm at home & have the time... although I also have to say that even when I worked full time, I still took charge of the kitchen, because I cared about what my kids ate & I cared about their inner health.

To those of you that eat nothing but zapped meals, or processed gunk - good luck to you - but I know who has the tastiest plate contents each night!

As an experiment, why don't you try & replicate one of those processed dinners.... just make a list of the ingredients & head off to the plastic shop to buy them first! :eek:

Just saying....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Skittles!

I can microwave food and have it turn out okayish. But that's not really cooking is it? I absolutely can not cook anything using an oven. I either undercook it or burn everything. No matter how hard I've tried I've never had anything turn out the slightest bit edible. I accidently gave a friend food poisoning once. It happened a few years ago but I still feel really guilty about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Everybody should be able to cook basic dinners for themselves-meat, two veg, potatos etc. Like, how do people who don't cook/can't cook fend for themselves?

Advertisement