Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you cook? Do you feel you should be able to?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Zaph wrote: »
    If you mention your George Foreman you're barred from here! :D

Nope, dont own one. Food is not food without grease :D

There is very little i like. I like chicken. I like sausages. I like chips and i love eggs. I love garlic sauce too. Doesnt go much further than that. It makes it very difficult to eat healthy or even vary my diet. Thats why i dont bother cooking anything other than the basics. I do veg and potatoes etc for the kids. Son doesnt eat meat either bar burgers!

Thats about it. Dont like fancy food, wine or liquer. I dont like eating out really as there is very little i like.

I'm the cheapest date i know. Abrakebabra or Eddie Rockets and i'm swept off my feet :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Zaph wrote: »
    If you mention your George Foreman you're barred from here! :D

Is this BGRH or summat? :p

I was given one of those, its handy for some things - and you can cook a mean steak on it. 2 minutes on 1/2 heat - the perfect medium-rare steak mmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I can cook and I feel I should, not because I'm a girl, but because I'm an independent person and don't want to be relying totally on others for a basic human need.

If I was living with someone I wouldn't mind cooking for them, making a meal for two is hardly any more effort than for one, but they'd have to eat the same things as me, no way would I make two separate meals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Piste wrote: »
    I can cook and I feel I should, not because I'm a girl, but because I'm an independent person and don't want to be relying totally on others for a basic human need.

If I was living with someone I wouldn't mind cooking for them, making a meal for two is hardly any more effort than for one, but they'd have to eat the same things as me, no way would I make two separate meals!

Ah therein lies my problem and subsequent laziness. Having a baby and an 8 yr old and an OH that doestn get in til 7.30 most nights and doesnt eat waht we eat, means i have to cook several times a day and may not finish cooking til 8pm having started with breakfast at 8am.

This is why its easier to stick something in the oven/microwave for him and to live on sandwiches myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

I can cook and I should be able to but its so much handier to let mammy do it for me. I'm actually the better cook but its so much nicer when handed to you:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I can cook, and of course I feel I should be able to, how else am I supposed to "fend for myself" eventually? If I ended up living with an OH that couldn't cook, I'd buy him a simple cook-book and make him learn. Not a chance am I becoming someone's mother...

OP: I suggest reading instructions first, particularly with poultry, don't want a dose of food poisoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

I cook, enjoy cooking and think that everyone is able to, it just requires a bit of practice!

My OH and I take turns cooking which is nice, means it isn't the same old for dinner every night, you get a suprise every second night instead!

OP: You seem to be a picky eater but you can always find things to eat if oyu just give it a go. Like getting fresh chicken and marinading it in lemon and garlic and grilling it- easy peasy and yummy! You could get some ciabatta and make a sandwich out of it. And give some to the kids and hubby! I'm getting carried away with this menu planning... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

I am a useless cook but i do love to cook. I try my best anyway haha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

That's the fun of it mossy!

Did anyone ever make up their own recipes when they were little (with disastous results)? We used to mix together all sorts of weird things (cinnamon, salt, chilli etc) into a batter, cook it, ice it, and then put it in the fridge in order to trick my cousins when coming in drunk from niteclub. Never seemed to work :( And it looked delicious! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

QuickJel, crushed digestive biscuits, hundreds and thousands and vanilla icecream. What can I say - I was 6 years old!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

My OH was the actually the one who taught me how to cook :D
    Before I met him,my dinners used to consist of sandwiches and heads of broccoli (about the only thing I knew how to cook)
    But now I can do roasts, pasta, sweet 'n' sour, loads of stuff and I have him to thank for it!
    I did attempt to make a chocolate cake for his birthday before, but it was..ahem...less than tasty...oh well, it's the effort that counts!

He's a brill cook though - love his stuffed courgettes!

Advertisement