Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITB Sports Management

Options
  • 23-08-2008 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

I got offered a place there but I'm a little apprehensive about taking it. The main reasons are I don't know anyone there, it will be at least two bus rides in and two out everyday and I don't really know much about the place. However the main reason is that I had planned to do the same course in UCD. My intentions were to start fencing again after a 4year break, get back with my old trainer and really make a push on the national scene but I've noticed there is no fencing team in ITB.

Basically hoping that some past/present students or whoever could just help me make up my mind about accepting the course and reasure me about the institute itself.

Much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

There have been a number of similar threads over the past couple of days, do have a read over them.

I can really only speak about the institute itself, as I am a former staff member, but it is certainly the best college I have lectured at (I'm in the computers field - nothing to do with sports, I'm afraid).

The campus itself is somewhat unorthodox, I am convinced whoever designed them was smoking some controlled substances. Having said that, the facilities are top-notch. Not that I have ever spent more than 2 minutes in the sports hall, mind you. :o

As for not knowing anyone there, well we have all been there at some stage and I am sure you will make friends with like minded individuals on the course. I really wouldn't let that sway you. Having said that, I don't believe there is a very strong social scene in ITB, as it is located well away from civilisation.

Oh, and shameless pug: see the link in my signature for a request for an ITB forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

ITB is a great place. The lecturers are mostly really nice and always willing to help. I may not be the best guide (I am a member of compsoc :p) to the place but I know a good few people and the kick boxing on Thursdays is awesome :D. There is not as much emphasise on partying as say maynooth but we have events too and they are usually pretty damn good. With regards to transport do not worry about it. I get two buses every morning. It can be done. Good luck with your course where ever you choose to do it.

BTW: Last semester we had the deal with the NAC (which is ten minutes walk away) that we got to swim for free during the week. really good exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Hi, well I accepted the course anyway. Putting more thought into it I came to realise maybe knowing no one could be a good thing, plenty new friends etc.

Also getting two buses may actually get me off my ass and take my driving test.

Thanks for your posts angryman and Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭rocco.

I had an assesment there recently, really liked it!

but, not one girl!!!??? please tell me this is very rare

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

^ lol.... yes it's rare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

There will be like 10 ish girls in the course if it follows the same trend so far anyway

Advertisement