Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyler Brûlé's weekly rant: Show the customer you care

Options
  • 23-08-2008 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Tyler Brûlé is the publisher/major shareholder of the monthly business/lifestyle magazine www.monocle.com available in all good newsmongers. He also writes articles for the FT and Int Herald Trib.

It seems to me (and I suspect Tyler) that the majority of businesses tick along or fail because they are run from an RoI (financial return on investment focus/limitation) rather than a focus on the customer and the customers' needs and requirements.

Tyler divides his time between Switzerland, Sweden, Japan and London, among other places, which one suspect fuels him up to deliver lots of refreshing ideas based on his commuting experiences. Particularly the contrast between dysfunctional London (and the rest of the Anglo Saxon world) and the other three countries... The following is part of his article in this weekend's FT - you can read the full article in the printed edition or by following the link at the bottom:

Show them you care

By Tyler Brûlé

Published: August 23 2008 02:26

So what’s the plan when you return to your desk next week? Did all that time on the coast or up in the mountains over the summer offer up a series of new business or lifestyle opportunities that will see you submitting your resignation and charting a new course in life? Did a chance encounter transform your life and lead to a series of revolutions in both career and focus? Or is it going to be more of the same?

At the end of every summer I like to review the scribbling in my notebook to see if it’s all just sun- and Pinot Grigio-fuelled nonsense or if there might be at least one idea in need of a business plan . Here’s a rundown of what I found:

1. New York needs a new small-scale hotel with round-the-clock services and John Morford-designed rooms – think mini-Park Hyatt Tokyo.
    Action: best left to the people at Hyatt to make this happen.

2. London needs a new small-scale hotel with round-the-clock services and Shuwa Tei-designed rooms – think mini-Park Hyatt Tokyo.
    Action: see above.

3. Launch a premium Med-focused airline using smaller aircraft on niche routes out of London to get premium passengers to their summer playgrounds.

Action: wait until fuel prices level out and BAA’s airports are broken up. (Also, who’s going to train the ground and cabin crew?)

4. Open a tiny, 24-seat bar in central London staffed by handsome, attentive staff from Denmark, Italy and Japan – and don’t tell anyone. Action: good idea, but where to find the staff?

5. Work with Toyota to unveil a next-generation hybrid taxi and to roll out a new brand in the world’s main financial centres. Customers could use a single account or pay direct on their mobile phones. Action: Toyota has the technology and, potentially, the product, but where will the drivers come from?

to read the rest of the article :

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9fef5b74-6fde-11dd-986f-0000779fd18c.html?nclick_check=1

.probe

Advertisement