Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review: East Korean BBQ, Temple Bar, Dublin 2

• 23-08-2008 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

I just had dinner in the new Korean BBQ "East" in Temple Bar, Dublin 2.

I feel ripped off.

The food was tasty enough, but the portions are tiny. I feel like they are trying to cut corners everywhere.

For example, I got a small slice of chocolate cake (the standard Sara Lee one most restaurants use) for €6. It didn't include any cream or ice cream. There were a few frozen berries on the plate. To me this means they are trying to gauge the customer. It's taking the piss.

My main course was tiny. It consisted of a few tiny slices of marinated beef and a tiny bowl of rice for €23. I am still hungry.

The tacky decor and background music (techno) didn't help matters.

Normally I'm quite easy to please in restaurants, but I feel ripped off and I've left annoyed and hungry.

1/10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Interesting to see that is your 1st post Wilcofan - you arent related to any of the staff there by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

If you read East's reviews on Menupages too, you'll see lots of outrageously positive reviews from first time posters as well.

And of course, it's been well documented here that East have been getting Menupages to remove negative reviews about their restaurant.

I walk past East every day and they're generally totally empty. I guess I'm not the only one who thinks the place is crap...

PS My ex-girlfriend is a Korean chef. I know Korean food very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 wilcofan

It would be great if expertise could be had by DATING it.

Mr. Arrrgh (I am assuming that you are heterosexual when you refer to having a girlfriend), do you speak Korean? Have you visited Korea? Have you had Korean food in other Korean restaurants to make valid comparisons? Or have you just eaten food cooked by your Korean-chef girlfriend and so, take her word for it?

Let me just make a final argument: The GM of Kia Motors AND Korean Development Bank in Dublin have recommended this restaurant to foreign dignitaries and Irish government reps (that is when we were first introduced to it.)

I posted a counter review just wanted to make sure two sides were presented here, fairly.

So, I leave it at that. Believe what you will, fellow diners -- but I hope you will make up your own minds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Mr. Arrrgh (I am assuming that you are heterosexual when you refer to having a girlfriend

Why? Just why?
    It would be a real blemish on Dublin if it doesn't receive the accolades it deserves.

I totally agree most wonderfully and stupendously with your most entertaining and gracious and awesome post. It is nothing to do with the rip off that is that most enlightened and hospitable and marvellous restaurant, it is all the most terrible and unknowing opinion of a most Aggghhh individual who, it is clear will never master the way of being most and excellently fleeced for his euros.

Your most humble friend

DS

Went once, never again. But thats just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

I haven't eaten in East yet but probably might try it at some stage. I love Korean food. It does a sound a bit expensive if the protions are small but I suppose sometimes you pay for fancy stuff.
    Contrary to some assertions above Korean BBQ (in general) is not an 'art' involving finely sliced meats etc - its about lots of simply marinated tasty meat with good side dishes, that's it.
    The best I've had in Dublin is at Hilan restuarant on Capel Street. 12 euro for a huge potion of whatever meat you order. Including rice, lettuce, kimchi and other sauces etc it works out at under 20euro a person for a generous, tasty and satisfying meal.
    On a side note, I wish soju was cheaper in dublin, I love it! it's gotten maybe twice as expensive in the past year or so though - anyoneknow why??

• Advertisement

It's completely obvious wilcofan either owns or works for East.

I used to pity your empty restaurant, but now I see you're just a spa and you deserve your success.

Well done.

You know, I have been using forums for a long time, and it is completely obvious when someone is a shill.

No one posts in such an aggressive tone when "innocently" giving an opinion about a restaurant.

Considering the poor service I received in your restaurant, and how you remove negative reviews from menupages, I am not surprised you are here making such unpleasant posts.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I was going to try this place at the weekend but i'm totally put off now and won't bother.

For the record it was wilcofans propagandaposts that have put me off not aaaarghs opinion.

Unfortunately, I was not cut out for the food service industry. It would be nice to work at EAsT, because the staff were so pleasant. Not hired purely for being good looking like some breast-aurants I've been to.

I just checked menu pages reviews, and most were positive. One of the negative reviews, though, complained about the rice being "stuck together." Haha. Korean rice is supposed to be stuck together?

I rest my case.

Glad you won't be going there Lola, because we obviously have different tastes. You will hate the food, I am sure. Go to some nice easy place, like Sixty6 instead.

I do have to concede that I was bluffing about bulgogi. It probably is a simple process, but I have never managed to get it right at home -- the balance of salty vs sweet, or seseme oil vs garlic -- it can taste too teriyaki or Chinese if the balance is not right. And if the beef is sliced to thick it gets tough quickly on the BBQ.

Another thing about EAsT was that cabbage kimchi was not served with the meal unless you ask for it.

Buh-bye.

• Advertisement

LolaDub wrote: »
    I was going to try this place at the weekend but i'm totally put off now and won't bother.

For the record it was wilcofans propagandaposts that have put me off not aaaarghs opinion.

Enjoy your group hug!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Gotta say that wilcofans posts have put me right off going to East.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

wilcofan wrote: »
    I know, big words are hard to swallow.

douchebag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Jaysoose wrote: »
    douchebag.

LOL!

+1

Wilco do you have any idea how much damage you're doing to yourself here?

Jaysoose wrote: »
    douchebag.

What witty word choice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

wilcofan, quit trolling or you'll find your posting privileges removed, it's not funny or clever.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement