Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unmarked Garda Car

Options
  • 23-08-2008 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭

I saw an interesting unmarked car today. Was the Usual blue mondeo (06 I think), but it had "ansley motors" along the back window, but didnt have it around the reg. The middle part of the break light was missing as usual, and it didnt have a single aerial on the roof. Had a fair amount of equipment mounted behind the rear view mirror, and it didnt have any of the strobes on the front bumper. There were Gardai driving. Just seems as if the"standard" unmarked cars are now covert!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

antodeco wrote: »
    I saw an interesting unmarked car today. Was the Usual blue mondeo (06 I think), but it had "ansley motors" along the back window, but didnt have it around the reg. The middle part of the break light was missing as usual, and it didnt have a single aerial on the roof. Had a fair amount of equipment mounted behind the rear view mirror, and it didnt have any of the strobes on the front bumper. There were Gardai driving. Just seems as if the"standard" unmarked cars are now covert!

About time if it is the case - although the lads driving the car are often as much of a giveaway as the extra aerials.

Theres was an unmarked Lancer Evo floating around here which is completely standard looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Pics?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Holsten wrote: »
    Pics?

I have one, but I was driving behind it, so was trying to be covert! In fairness, the picture looks like any mondeo.

Garda.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If this is the case how come state vehicles are allowed provide free advertising for a private company, surely this is a conflict of interest?

Similar to that time members of the force were sent on holidays paid for by a tyre supplier...
    http://www.irlgov.ie/debates-01/13feb/sect6.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    If this is the case how come state vehicles are allowed provide free advertising for a private company, surely this is a conflict of interest?

Similar to that time members of the force were sent on holidays paid for by a tyre supplier...
    http://www.irlgov.ie/debates-01/13feb/sect6.htm

Mabye it is necessary to assist in the covert - ness of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Tipsy Mac wrote: »

Should they take the Ford badges off too?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Ainsley motors probably do the servicing. Hence the sticker. Plenty of dublin patrol cars with "Up Cork or Kerry" stickers on the back!!

No aeriels not trying to be covert, no funding to put proper car set radios into the cars and the gardai are working off useless local and control sets.... eg walkie talkies with sh1t reception.

As for covert, trust me. If they were covert even gardai would not know who they were... eg false plates/tax/insurance/nct discs ect on a bog standard family car.

Unamrked cars are designed as transport for plain clothes units so they dont get pulled over for traffic accidents and all the other sh1t marked cars have to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

These cars have been around for months, possibly more than a year! I think they're all attached to the traffic corp. Several of the normal lights have been replaced or modified to use as emergency lights and removable boxes have been fitted to the front and back windows. Not sure what they did about the ariel, perhaps they use their personal radios, or more likely their mobile phones ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Never mind the ford, were is a picture of this evo I keep hearing about ?

They should by a few more of them, although, I could see some garda getting a bit carried away with the power, and some turbos going pop..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

msg11 wrote: »
    Never mind the ford, were is a picture of this evo I keep hearing about ?

They should by a few more of them, although, I could see some garda getting a bit carried away with the power, and some turbos going pop..
    The claim was that the Evo was kept on a brief trial basis but for (what appear to be) several different reasons such as too thirsty, too costly on clutches, etc. it wasn't kept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Tbh there is nothing to worry about as long as your doing some thing stupid. Saying that, i watch every D reg saloon car that I think has the potential to be an unmarked garda car.

What was interesting was that an accord flew down the bus lane and I was waiting for the Gardai to fly after them, but alas, nothing!

They had a nice pine air freshner in the window too. When they drove past me I thought they were gardai but as I drove behind them I was thinking (only the rear section of the break light missing, no aerials, maybe it wasnt). As I drove past I looked in again and saw that they were, but again had none of the front strobes. I just thought it was strange to see because as most people know, most unmarked cars can stand out. Saying that, Ive seen some :eek: unmarked cars recently. 92 corolla, 96 civic. No harm I suppose. Ive also seen modified, ie body kits, red H badges, and they were driving along with strobes flashing. And yes, there were Gardai in the car!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I was working in security years ago, We contacted the gardai with regard to joyriders on the premises. 4-5 garda units turned up. The first to arrive and make contact with me in the patrol jeep was a really shook looking Pugoet 205. The way in stopped me in the jeep i initially taught it was more joyriders. Anyway, different levels of undercover

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

antodeco wrote: »
    Saying that, Ive seen some :eek: unmarked cars recently. 92 corolla, 96 civic. No harm I suppose. Ive also seen modified, ie body kits, red H badges, and they were driving along with strobes flashing. And yes, there were Gardai in the car!!

Did they have Burbery caps on too LMFAO :D:D:D:D:D . what complete ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Was the middle of the brake light DEFINITELY missing. I know of Gardaí that use thei own personal cars to go to scenes when there are no cars readily available.

ninty9er wrote: »
    I know of Gardaí that use thei own personal cars to go to scenes when there are no cars readily available.

Ha Ha, their is a little boy racer (aka, a garda with a white boy racer looking car) doing speed checks in Abbeyleix, Co. Laois lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Young Lad in the gatway of the Hospital? (Directly opposite the Garda Station, so he doesn't have to go far to replinish on Doughnuts)

testicle wrote: »
    Young Lad in the gatway of the Hospital? (Directly opposite the Garda Station, so he doesn't have to go far to replinish on Doughnuts)

I've heard of him working in that spot alright, and then i've seen him at 6am parked at the entrance to D'vesci hill on the lower main st. He'd just caught a lorry driver.

He doesn't really fit the stereotype of a boy racer, does he?

miju wrote: »
    Did they have Burbery caps on too LMFAO :D:D:D:D:D . what complete ****e
    kikel wrote: »
    Ha Ha, their is a little boy racer (aka, a garda with a white boy racer looking car) doing speed checks in Abbeyleix, Co. Laois lately.

:rolleyes:

Advertisement