Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Interesting park job for Merc driver, M50 today [big pics]

Options
  • 23-08-2008 9:26pm
    Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭

Note - traffic was at a standstill on my side due to rubbernecking.

gji0jwpwcw7xcgzeyk8.jpg

7aqjlk1zj786i4831h7.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,916 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I passed this today but couldn't get my phone out quick enough for a photo.

Its a late reg 06 and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

S-class too. That bill's going to sting :pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

insurance claim presumably so won't cost much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He must have been trying quite hard to do that, I take it the concrete divider is sloped?

Mike.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Would have liked to see how they got it off. There was a lot of headscratching going on, the off lane to blanch was between the tow truck and the merc and they would have needed a crane to get it off without making the damage a lot worse.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    He must have been trying quite hard to do that, I take it the concrete divider is sloped?

Mike.

there is a slope at the start for a few feet, but 20-30 feet, maybe more from where the car ended up, he travelled on two wheels for a while..

momentum kept him going - presumably was at speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,916 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Closer to 20 than 30, from having been on the same side of the motorway than it.

You wouldn't have much braking force on the edge of the wheels so it'd have been friction on the underside that slowed him down!

MYOB wrote: »
    Closer to 20 than 30, from having been on the same side of the motorway than it.

You wouldn't have much braking force on the edge of the wheels so it'd have been friction on the underside that slowed him down!

yep, that can't have been a good noise to hear from the drivers seat!
    Can imagine the sheepish look on his face when he climbed out as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

copacetic wrote: »
    yep, that can't have been a good noise to hear from the drivers seat!

I'd say there was a smell of poo from the drivers seat too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

ive seen this done a couple of times around cork on the south link. its always big powerful cars which leads me to think it was joyriders.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

now imagine what that accident would have looked like if the barrier hadn't been sloped at the beginning ...

agreed, wouldn't be any humour in it then. Although I remember when they first put those barriers in at the start of the works there was a bad accident when a car hit the sloped bit and flew into the air into traffic. At the ballymount off ramp I think. Was probably mentioned on boards at the time. Will do a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 thebandito600

id say a change of underwear was in order :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

traffic was at a standstill on my side due to rubbernecking.
    I'm sure you really helped that situation by taking photographs from the driver's seat

Balfa wrote: »
    I'm sure you really helped that situation by taking photographs from the driver's seat

thats why I mentioned it because I knew this comment would come. standstill means the traffic wasn't moving. how would I have helped that situation exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I think that the OP has helped prevent a repeat of the situation by highlighting the risk at the stretch in particular.

I'm sure you really helped this threat with your comment (in the same context in which your post was written).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭irish.rugby.fan

Removed due to request.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

His dry cleaning bill might be expensive. Looks like he was lucky, glad no one was hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

It almost happened to me a few days ago. I almost scraped the side of my car off the barrier. I was exhausted from work and doing about 80kmph when my car just sort of appeared right in front of the barrior. I don't even remember being that close to the white line never mind on it.

Also I notice when Im exhausted from work, that if someone on front moves their car to the left or right, I've a tendency to do so too. So if he ends up on them cat eye things, I will too :)

I was surprised the car in the picture didn't end up in a different positon. I would of thought the side wheels on the road would of stopped the car and spun it around clock wise causing an awful mess. The crash just looks kinda casual, if that makes sense.

• Advertisement

It almost happened to me a few days ago. I almost scraped the side of my car off the barrier. I was exhausted from work and doing about 80kmph when my car just sort of appeared right in front of the barrior. I don't even remember being that close to the white line never mind on it.

Also I notice when Im exhausted from work, that if someone on front moves their car to the left or right, I've a tendency to do so too. So if he ends up on them cat eye things, I will too :)

You work too hard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

peasant wrote: »
    now imagine what that accident would have looked like if the barrier hadn't been sloped at the beginning ...

Or if he had been going 120kmph like a certain amount of people here would like when giving out about the 60 speed limit at the roadworks.

Personnally I'd have planted it and kept going on 2 wheels until my exit came up, filtering through traffic like a bike the whole way.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Personnally I'd have planted it and kept going on 2 wheels..

Ever heard of a differential ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

peasant wrote: »
    Ever heard of a differential ? :D
    ever heard of a limited slip differential: :D

sorry - couldnt resist - but i blame you anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

i think he was breaking the speed limit too - and before that he had parked inconsiderately

VH wrote: »
    i think he was breaking the speed limit too - and before that he had parked inconsiderately

in fact I was parked in the overtaking lane of the m50:eek:. Thats how mad I am! was also on the phone, drunk and really sleepy. it's how I roll.

in fact I was parked in the overtaking lane of the m50:eek:. Thats how mad I am! was also on the phone, drunk and really sleepy. it's how I roll.
    with absolutely no thought for the innocent children out playing there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Would have ended up doing this myself on the kylemore road last week if there was as big a kerb beside me. As you head towards the Naas Road theres a right turn just past the furniture stores called Kylemore park north. The A3 in front of me indicated to go right so i went to slip up the inside (theres just enough room to do so) of the car as i was going straight on. Why the A3 driver thought she needed to turn right using a huge arc, is beyond me, but as i was slipping up the inside of her she started drifting back in on top of me whilst preparing to turn right leaving me with nowhere to go but up onto the kerb to avoid a collision. :mad:

Nice scratch marks on my front left alloy due to dozy mare.

How the S Class driver got that high, ive no idea :confused:

Advertisement