Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France summer work?

• 23-08-2008 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

So I was considering doing the inter-rail this year but i was also just thinking about how I'm planning on doing french in college and it would be helpful to have spent a summer in france working ! =D

Has anyone ever done it or know any sites/agencies that can organise something like that for you ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Have you looked into being an Au Pair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Aspiration wrote: »
    Have you looked into being an Au Pair?

considered it but i hate kids:)
    and i know a person who went to germany as one and came back knowing no german :P

i was thinking more disneyland/asterix-land =D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Ah, well if you hate kids this might not be the route to go lol...

You should check out those resorts if you're into that kind of work, but keep in mind that it's very touristy so you may not learn alot of French working there either...

Best of luck though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mygsy

Ive worked in france and your best bet is irish pubs( u will learn some french surprisingly enough!!) or chambermaiding! likes of disneyland u'll speak english 99% of time. Id sort accomadation 1st and look 4 a job when youre there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭somethingwitty

Hey Im not a huge fan of children either but I am working in France as an Au Pair at the moment. It really is not all that bad and it is such an amazing help with the French. And really, I had to get someone to lie as a reference!!;) Really not a kid lover! But there are a lot of families out there that may only need you for 2-3 hours a day, with older kids, and so on. You dont have to be stuck in a house all day with screaming babies.
    You should really have a look at Au Pair World.net and have a look through what some of the families would require of you.
    Im really glad Ive done this anyway, and especially if its your first time going away its handy.
    I think I will be fluent in French by the time I get hope!!:D
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 cots18

Mygsy wrote: »
    Ive worked in france and your best bet is irish pubs( u will learn some french surprisingly enough!!) or chambermaiding! likes of disneyland u'll speak english 99% of time. Id sort accomadation 1st and look 4 a job when youre there!
    Hi mygsy!!! I am really interested in working in France...I like the idea of working in an Irish pub! have u any suggestions on ones I could try ir any tips in general! i would be really grateful if you cud get back to me on it! :)
    thanks Ciara

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cots18

Hey Im not a huge fan of children either but I am working in France as an Au Pair at the moment. It really is not all that bad and it is such an amazing help with the French. And really, I had to get someone to lie as a reference!!;) Really not a kid lover! But there are a lot of families out there that may only need you for 2-3 hours a day, with older kids, and so on. You dont have to be stuck in a house all day with screaming babies.
    You should really have a look at Au Pair World.net and have a look through what some of the families would require of you.
    Im really glad Ive done this anyway, and especially if its your first time going away its handy.
    Good luck!
    wow!! i considered doing au pair before i went to college but i went off the idea. now i am finished my course and still have the dream of going to france to work and learn french!! do you find it a big responsibility minding kids?? if u have any tips on where to go or apply i would be very grateful!
    thanks
    -CIARA-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 locatingclod

Good luck!
    Can I just ask you, did you use an agency to get your au pair job? There seem to be a lot of them about but I'm not sure which one to use. Also, is it possible to work as an au pair if you don't drive?

Thanks a mil,

C x

Advertisement