Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour of Ireland and pot holes

Options
  • 23-08-2008 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I'm fortunate to be living on stage 2 of the Tour of Ireland but while cycling a particular section today I came across a number of particularly bad pot holes on a pretty severe descent. I know it was last May when the organisers planned the route and I reckon the pot holes have emerged due to the bad weather over the summer. Should I make an effort to let the powers that be know about them or is it none of my business?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Sure why not let 'em know... you never know you might feel horribly guilty if some poor bugger bursts himself on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RapidResults

michaelm wrote: »
    I'm fortunate to be living on stage 2 of the Tour of Ireland but while cycling a particular section today I came across a number of particularly bad pot holes on a pretty severe descent.
    I know some people in the ToI organisation, give me the details (PM, if you prefer) and I'll pass them on directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Great, thanks for that - the area in question is the descent immediately after the KOH line on stage 2 (Thursday) at an area known as the Slate Quarries in Portroe, Co. Tipp.

On a (sadly indulgent) personal note - after travelling all over Ireland to watch races as well as going to see and participate in cycling events in France and Belgium over the last 30 years this is the first race ever to pass right by my front door - and I have to be at work that day, no way out of it! Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

They'll just have to call and point at the holes, like we Ireland cyclists all do ... ' Hole'!! :pac: that's all part of the magic of cycling in Ireland!

Wow - Boards gets results! on the way to work this morning the offending pot holes were being filled!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah, last day I headed to Wicklow, the route along Stepaside-Enniskerry was shocking, the road is bordering on dangerous with the number of pot holes, bad surface patching, etc.

Ah, the very best way to get your potholes filled is to have a Tour de France stage or two. It worked a charm back in '98.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

I know some people in the ToI organisation, give me the details (PM, if you prefer) and I'll pass them on directly.

Hi,

Not sure if this has been taken care of but the decent from Mt. Leinster after the Nine Stones needs to be seriously addressed. I broke my collarbone there about 4 weeks ago. And as far as I'm aware a couple of others have done so since me. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I'm fortunate to be living on stage 2 of the Tour of Ireland but while cycling a particular section today I came across a number of particularly bad pot holes on a pretty severe descent. I know it was last May when the organisers planned the route and I reckon the pot holes have emerged due to the bad weather over the summer. Should I make an effort to let the powers that be know about them or is it none of my business?

Well, as you're living on the route, it could be a good way to get a local road patched up to make your own spins that bit less hazardous...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭boomdocker

was over mt leinster yestaerday - all patched up with lovely smooth tarmac. its funny now cos you've got these warnings 'HOLES" sprayed on the road, of course now there are no holes only the aforementioned smooth tarmac......

• Advertisement

On the Rás a few years back, the Dan Morrissey (builders) team was doing quite well. We got notification of unexpected surface problems near Clonmel....problem solved by their sponsors.

Just to keep you updated - pot holes filled and today - hedges cut - happy days! If only the authorities would react in a similar way to our local spins!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Just to keep you updated - pot holes filled and today - hedges cut - happy days! If only the authorities would react in a similar way to our local spins!

If only they reacted that way all the time or roads would be in a lot better condition.

Advertisement