Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Points-When to tell insurer

Options
  • 23-08-2008 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

Hey quick Q, tried searching, got 2 points 10 mins ago. 120k on 100k DC, took em like a man, so when should i tell insurance co.?

Also does my 3 year (wow thats a long time) wait for them expire start now or when I pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

Neither, it starts from when the penalty is processed. So don't tell your insurer until you receive the notice of the points being applied to your license in the post. I have 2 points that are coming up to expiring on 1st February next year. The date of the offense was November 2005, the points took well over 2 months to be processed. Your insurer will count them up until they are officially removed so shouldn't count them until they are officially applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Thanks for the quick response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

my first set of points took 5 months to be added to my license record - tho they're probably a bit quicker now. you don't need to tell your insurer until renewal time - technically you don't need to tell them at all as they all have access to the database (agreed with govt in return for reducing premiums) and look up you record as a matter of course

• Registered Users Posts: 68,916 ✭✭✭✭L1011

VH wrote: »
    technically you don't need to tell them at all as they all have access to the database (agreed with govt in return for reducing premiums) and look up you record as a matter of course

My insurer don't know my licence number - how are they supposed to be able to look up my details, considering my driving licence is at a different address to my home? (I've never got it changed - and Quinn as a matter of course never ask for proof your licence exists)

There are a LOT of people with my name in this country, most of them about my age...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

yeah they can take ages in processing the points and it is from that point that your 3 yrs starts, ot from the time of the offcence, which I think is unfair as in effect you are penalised longer than necessary, as if you are stopped again the gard will know that there are 'pending' point against you! not fair at all at all so its not!
    (not that I advocate speeding BTW - I got mine because a speed had been changed from 50km to 40km on a road i travelled reg, so I didn't pay heed to the speed signs as I always go below the limit - I was going 43kms and got done! If I'd of been doing 80kms I would have had the same punishment! the logic in it is a bt twisted in my opinion!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement