Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Slipknot - All hope is gone

• 23-08-2008 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Some shops around town have started selling this early,anyone else got it?
    So far it seems like vol 3 but darker,that's good to me as I didn't really like the early stuff but loved the subliminal verses.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I dont really like Slipknot but all i want to say is when did they and go raid MCR's closet :P Me and my mates got a good laugh at the new black parade costumes they are wearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

When is this album supposed to be released?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

monday i think. i still have to give it a good listen but i love psychosocial reminds me of Stone Sour(which is good)

i love this album
    i think its their best. i swear
    snuff is sooooo good! i dont care if its not what you expect from slipknot; it's a real gem!
    and they've organised their sound a bit more. in a good way. i mean barcode and iowa were good, but those filler tracks - the ones that were really a wall of noise - really annoyed me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I am in the middle of listening to this atm ( i'm about half way through). Gotta say I think its a rather boring album.

I would not compare it to Vol. 3 at all. Vol.3 had so much diversity in it. This album is so increadibly bland there is nothing stand out on it so far :( .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Oh man. This album is insane. I feel that Slipknot have really come of age here. the diference between sulfur and snuff is nuts but both songs are just epic. Bring on an Irish gig i say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Stev_o wrote: »
    I dont really like Slipknot but all i want to say is when did they and go raid MCR's closet :P Me and my mates got a good laugh at the new black parade costumes they are wearing.

If you are referring to Corey then I agree.I watched some live vids recently,he seems really thin and from a distance it looks like he's wearing that black parade jacket thing.
    i love this album
    i think its their best. i swear
    snuff is sooooo good! i dont care if its not what you expect from slipknot; it's a real gem!
    and they've organised their sound a bit more. in a good way. i mean barcode and iowa were good, but those filler tracks - the ones that were really a wall of noise - really annoyed me

exactly,I loved vol 3 because it was good from start to finish,with the earlier albums it felt as if they made a few good tracks and then shoved in a load of filler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I've liked them for years. In fact I heard MFKR before their first proper album was released, so I'm a rarity in that sense. Vol.3 was a real turning point for the band, as they explored things other then balls-to-the-wall nu-metal riffing. Time changes, accoustic guitar and new styles of songwriting. With the new album they're exploring this a bit more. Some songs fall a little flat because of this approach, but there's some real gems in here.

An idea that's slightly lost is the soloing. While they're good, they would be much better if they weren't structured into every single song so rigidly. Right before the break in every song they're there. They don't need to be in every song. But it's good to see the band explore this idea.

Once again though, Joey shines through as the major talent in the band. Corey's voice sounds as amazing as ever, though his lyrical prowess is a bit tired this time 'round... probably because he's not all that angry anymore with his wife, kids and money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gotta agree with the above regarding Jordison, his drumming once again is supreme.

Got the album yesterday and it's pretty damn good. Favourite song at the mo is 'Psychosocial'. Only found out it's the lead single. Great choice imo.

'Snuff' is an amazing song too and I actually really like the mix of Vermillon Pt. 2 that comes as a bonus track.

Seriously considering going to see them now in October (supported by Machinehead).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

I'm so disappointed with this album! There was all this hype about this being their most "intense/darkest" album yet and in my opinion it's definitely not.

For me either the songs had an annoying harmonized Disney sing-a-long for the chorus and a decent riff or shouty vocals and a terrible riff.

I know they're trying to "progress" and move on from Iowa and the first album by making songs more melodic but I just can't stand Taylor's Stone Sour-esque vocals.

I can see this album alienating all the Slipknot/Iowa-loving fans and attracting more emos to the fanbase but after this dismal effort the emos can have em.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

I'm so disappointed with this album! There was all this hype about this being their most "intense/darkest" album yet and in my opinion it's definitely not.

For me either the songs had an annoying harmonized Disney sing-a-long for the chorus and a decent riff or shouty vocals and a terrible riff.

I know they're trying to "progress" and move on from Iowa and the first album by making songs more melodic but I just can't stand Taylor's Stone Sour-esque vocals.

I can see this album alienating all the Slipknot/Iowa-loving fans and attracting more emos to the fanbase but after this dismal effort the emos can have em.

lol u like noise then?
    disney like sing-along? wtf
    this album is a gem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

Psychosocial being on premiered on TRL (at least I think it's TRL)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU2eUYTJlNQ&watch_response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 keel08

got special edition what is the story with the dvd. i keep getting the large heads over and over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭cherubaul

an impressive album to be sure. I'd definately rate it higher than Iowa and their debut in terms of technicality and structure but i think its only on par with the subliminal verses and doesn't surpass it in my view. nice to see corey getting a chance to show his vocal range and as usual joey plays a storm on the drums. It just seems a tad formulaic but i suppose thats to be expected as the band truly have only started to mature in their last 2 albums from being a sheet of white noise and anghst to appease the 16-21 year old market into a truly talented and well rounded outfit with the right mix of agression , melody and speed to give them a wider demographic of the market. It doesnt have the pure raw agression of say Iowa but it does act as a nice counterpoint to it and really shows that they have turned a corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

Quite like the second track Gematria and All Hope Is Gone. Great riffs. The rest is a bit boring for me. Psychosocial is awful imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Seriously considering going to see them now in October (supported by Machinehead).

Damn you and your gigs down under. That would be some hell of a show. You'd be mad not to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Having listened to this a bit I have to say that it seems as if they are mellowing in their old age. Their songs have a lot more melody to them than some of the earlier songs. Personally I think that's a good thing but I can see how fans more used to the early sound wouldn't be too impressed.

newblue08 wrote: »
    Quite like the second track Gematria and All Hope Is Gone. Great riffs. The rest is a bit boring for me. Psychosocial is awful imo.

++

I completely agree with you newblue

Malice I agree with you to an extent. They are certainly mellowing out, but they could have done it in a more interesting way. Imo the songs are just boring.

To a certain extent you could compare this to Korn. They are mellowing out, and they released an acoustic album which was absolultely amazing. Then there is JDSFA which is also amazing. So I have nothing about softer music, as long as its interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

They are certainly mellowing out, but they could have done it in a more interesting way. Imo the songs are just boring.

To a certain extent you could compare this to Korn. They are mellowing out, and they released an acoustic album which was absolultely amazing. Then there is JDSFA which is also amazing. So I have nothing about softer music, as long as its interesting.
    Each to their own I suppose. I wouldn't describe the songs as boring but there you go :). I would be intrigued by a Slipknot acoustic album though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

newblue08 wrote: »
    Thank you, i found out the whole world hasnt gone insane. When i first heard all hope is gone i was going crazy waiting for the album. Then pychosocial came out and i was like, What the **** is this!!!

When i got the album i listened to it, almost turning it off half way cause it was so boring. Gematria(or however you spell it) Snuff and all hope is gone are the only 3 great Slipknot songs on it. The rest of the songs all feel like they were B sides of the first stone sour album....might not be such a bad thing but:

IF I WANTED A STONE SOUR ALBUM, I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT A STONE SOUR ALBUM.

Still il undoubltadly see them live to see if the songs fare any better on the stage, What i want to know is where are all these roumers that there playing Ireland are coming from, the dates for the uk are out, no mention of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Been listening to this over the week and it's definitly growing on me. Hated "All Hope Is Gone" (It's brilliant...except the verses) when they released that and feared the worse but I'm quite impressed by the album now. Sure, it's more Stone Sour than Slipknot in parts and while that's not a bad thing it would be nice to have some more of the old style. I wasn't impressed initially as it felt like too big a departure from their roots but after giving it a chance it's still a great album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I loved the Subliminal Versus, and only really liked a couple of their other songs (Spit it Out, Wait and Bleed). I prefer Corey's voice when he's singing more so than shouting. I'm downloading the album now so hopefully it's decent :D 4 years was a long wait!

No way has it been 4 years since vol 3? has it?????!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Patricide wrote: »
    Thank you, i found out the whole world hasnt gone insane. When i first heard all hope is gone i was going crazy waiting for the album. Then pychosocial came out and i was like, What the **** is this!!!

When i got the album i listened to it, almost turning it off half way cause it was so boring. Gematria(or however you spell it) Snuff and all hope is gone are the only 3 great Slipknot songs on it. The rest of the songs all feel like they were B sides of the first stone sour album....might not be such a bad thing but:

IF I WANTED A STONE SOUR ALBUM, I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT A STONE SOUR ALBUM.

Still il undoubltadly see them live to see if the songs fare any better on the stage, What i want to know is where are all these roumers that there playing Ireland are coming from, the dates for the uk are out, no mention of Ireland.
    Why is it when a band changes a direction that most people will not like em.(and dont go saying its in the direction so stone sour) You see i only started listening to slipknot last November and started at vol. 3. i think this is why i love this album so much. Now dont get me wrong their older stuff rocks but you will never see heavy albums like that again cos Corey cant possibly sing like that. And Patricide. ill drill this album into your head until you like it:p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Patricide wrote: »
    No way has it been 4 years since vol 3? has it?????!!!

Yup has been indeed 4 yrs,time sure does fly :pac:

Why is it when a band changes a direction that most people will not like em.

The question pretty much answers itself. People like the band because of the music they play. If they then go and change the type ( when I say type I am not referring to genre) of music they play a significant number of people will no longer like the music.

Mate Feed Kill Repeat is probably in my top 2 favourite debute albums of all time ( alongside Korn ) ( also I am not going to get into the dispute as to whether it was a proper album or not ). All hope is gone seems to be the polar opposite of MFKR imo. It would stand to reason that since MFKR is my favourite album, and All Hope is Gone is so completely in the other direction that there would be a decent chance that I will not like it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They have a new album eh. Sweet. Last one was class.

Theres a difference between change in direction and change in style. Vol 3 was a change in direction but it was the same style of music, in the same vein if you will. This album is a total different style of music. And yes its in the style of stone sour, and im not the only one whos saying it. Been listening to slipknot since the first album and i loved everything theyve done up to now, loved volume 3 especially.

Also apart from there music they pretty much lost all there credibility by going on mtv launch, that thing is for pop music. How can anyone justfy that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Some shops around town have started selling this early,anyone else got it?

Nah, it wasnt early, albums come out here on the friday if its due to be realeased on the following monday elsewhere.

I quite like it, not amazing freaking out its sooooo good, its just good.

I do however love the remix of Vermillion Pt2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Better than I expected, certainly a good outing, and very Stone Sour ish....as opposed to classic Slipknot

Advertisement