Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

poker soc??

• 24-08-2008 12:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Theres no mention of one.

I refuse to believe that in a school of 20,000....:eek::eek::eek:

If there isnt one... would anyone be interested in establishing one?
    I need weekly beer money:P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I thought there was one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

apparently not...its not in the prospectus.... or online!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

There was one, alledgedly they were dodgy and when the powers-that-be asked to audit their accounts they decided it would be safer to disband.

Last year GameSoc made some forays into running poker nights in the second semester and they went reasonably well.

There was talk that PokerSoc might be reforming but nothing substantial.

GameSoc will be running and Poker and Card Games night during Freshers' Week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

There was, the year before last. However they didn't keep accounts, so when the societies officer, asked to see their accounts, they were forced to break up. I've heard talk of them getting together again this year, but not recently. Gamesoc ran some poker events late in last year, we might do so again next year if Poker soc aren't reforming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Raphael wrote: »
    There was, the year before last.
    And that would explain why I didn't know of their disbanding! I've been a wageslave for the last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

ahh sure thats grand, was planning on joining that game soc anyway!!

cheers! il keep an eye open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

There seemed to be Poker nights on fairly regularly in the Student Centre last year, or was that the GameSoc nights? Or was that the year before? Curse my hazy memory.

There did seem to be a fairly regular poker game in the student centre last year but as far as I know it wasn't connected to any society.

C&E have something up their sleeve....

If they do they shouldn't, it's well outside their mandate and inside that of at least one other soc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I've heard rumours of serious embezellment on the part of the powers that were in the defunct PokerSoc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

It is apparently illegal to gamble for money on campus, that is why it was disbanded. People did not want to play for chips, they wanted to play for cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Zounds wrote: »
    If they do they shouldn't, it's well outside their mandate and inside that of at least one other soc.
    How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

It is apparently illegal to gamble for money on campus, that is why it was disbanded. People did not want to play for chips, they wanted to play for cash.
    The decision not to allow people play for money (which effected more than just the poker society) was made after a number of allegations were made about the goings on in the poker society. I have no idea whether the allegations were true or if the decision is in any way related.

In my experience there are no rules written in stone, and you'd be surprised the things that get college approval (let alone funding)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There is nothing illegal about running a poker tournament, nothing at all be it for money or for buttons.

I think there were other reasons why it didnt continue....

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

By the way, if you want to set one up in the autumn, Green Joker Poker / Antesup (my poker company) would be interested in supporting it but only if its run properly (no skimming the prizepools, transparency in everything). We did it with DIT and they really found it helpful.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

DeVore wrote: »
    There is nothing illegal about running a poker tournament, nothing at all be it for money or for buttons.

I think there were other reasons why it didnt continue....

DeV.

You are right. Richard Butler just never liked the pokersoc apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Zounds wrote: »

This is bollox. CnE have ran poker nights for the last 3 years, in fact, every year since Ive been in UCD. Even if they want to run something and so do another society, there is nothing wrong with that.

Re: Pokersoc, I tried to set it up last year, Richard Butler gave me the lowdown on the previous committee, apparently they had no accounts when they were asked for them whether this be because of the rumoured embezzlement or the laziness of poker players I dont know but they were shut down as a result and I tried to get it going again but to no avail. There is a thread about it in the poker forum.

Search: UCD Pokersoc.

DeVore wrote: »
    By the way, if you want to set one up in the autumn, Green Joker Poker / Antesup (my poker company) would be interested in supporting it but only if its run properly (no skimming the prizepools, transparency in everything). We did it with DIT and they really found it helpful.

DeV.

Nice one Tom. Methinks though that given the history of the society and all that surrounds it, it will be a hard job to convince Butler to allow this society again.

The way I understand it, after Poker soc got axed, Butler made it against the rules to gamble for large pots, I think when Gamesoc ran a few games last year we were told we could have cash pots, just as long as they didn't exceed 100/200 euro (iirc) and if they did, non-cash alternatives had to be found. The details of the conditions are on this forum somewhere.

As regards the C&E thing, they aren't technically supposed to be running poker, or any event which falls under the purview of another soc without permission from the soc in question. Gamesoc were, for example, not allowed to run chess until recently when the chess club fell over. I also remember hearing about a soc in limerick that were running a play, and about 3 weeks beforehand the drama society found out and said "eh..you never asked us, so no. you're not." And it didn't happen. Basically, if there's a society which is for a specific purpose, then other socs can't just waltz in and run events of that kind without asking. Otherwise, why have multiple socities?

• Advertisement

The way I understand it, after Poker soc got axed, Butler made it against the rules to gamble for large pots, I think when Gamesoc ran a few games last year we were told we could have cash pots, just as long as they didn't exceed 100/200 euro (iirc) and if they did, non-cash alternatives had to be found. The details of the conditions are on this forum somewhere.

As regards the C&E thing, they aren't technically supposed to be running poker, or any event which falls under the purview of another soc without permission from the soc in question. Gamesoc were, for example, not allowed to run chess until recently when the chess club fell over. I also remember hearing about a soc in limerick that were running a play, and about 3 weeks beforehand the drama society found out and said "eh..you never asked us, so no. you're not." And it didn't happen. Basically, if there's a society which is for a specific purpose, then other socs can't just waltz in and run events of that kind without asking. Otherwise, why have multiple socities?

there's no pokersoc i.e nobody to "ask"

Butler has cleared it..

move on

Actually last time I heard Pokersoc were attempting to reform for this year, though I haven;t heard anything on the matter since before the exams. And if there isn't a Poker Soc, then it falls under the purview of the Games Society (being a game and all), espceially since we ran poker events towards the end of last year.

Actually last time I heard Pokersoc were attempting to reform for this year, though I haven;t heard anything on the matter since before the exams. And if there isn't a Poker Soc, then it falls under the purview of the Games Society (being a game and all), espceially since we ran poker events towards the end of last year.

Ok. I understand what you're saying, but, we have gotten clearance form Butler for this event so there isn't much that can be done about it now.

Also, not to sound arrogant, but Im pretty sure the event we will run will be organised infinitely better and also be ran by people with a lot of experience in the game and the organisation of thse events.

Anyway, if you or the gamesoc does genuinely have a problem with us running poker events we will obviously be more than willing to discuss it, not here, but me or Alaia Broad Harp through PM or on campus as we are always around (well he is, I am infrequently).

Steven

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

As far as I know, and I think I've said this a few times, there's no rule that two societies can't run similar activities. A second society dedicated to the same thing as the first wouldn't be allowed, but two socs doing the same thing is, I think, ok. You may want to check this with someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Steven, what's this event that's coming up? Is there going to be any form of pokersoc this year then? I'd be happy to give a hand if so, give us a shout on MSN or something

Advertisement