Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car salesman

Options
  • 24-08-2008 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi lads, sorry for double post(also over on work and jobs) but really want definitive answers and opinions off people who are in the know. Basic story is that I am leaving hospitality industry after 10 years as a Bar Manager and venturing into car sales. I got reply today from a dealer asking me some additional questions so could I please have some replys from you guys on my answers before I mail this off to him for monday morning?

Dear Mike,
    thank you for the prompt response to my application. In reply to the following questions:

a) What qualities are necessary to become a successful car sales person?
    I would say a thorough knowledge of the current, as well as the forthcoming trends in the car sales industry would be a basic prerequisite, e.g. VRT/lifestyle changes. An in-depth and comprehensive ability to be able to answer any questions about the product on offer, e.g. engine/spec/trim levels available. The ability to be able to work on ones own initiative yet within a sales team environment. A good understanding of consumer psychology, e.g.follow up phone calls as agreed, appreciation letters, etc. The ability to ensure that projected sales targets are matched with actual sales performance.

b) What would be your greatest challenges if you got the job?

I would expect striving for the perfect balance between customer satisfaction versus maximum profits would be the biggest challenge. I further believe that with the current economic forecast that there is a lot of consumer uncertainty and that I would have to be very pro-active for us to remain competitive in the market.

c) What do you think the daily tasks & duties of a salesperson are?

To ensure all cars on offer are of a saleable condition and to ensure any potential customers have the best possible experience from the moment they arrive until the moment they have made their decision. Liaise with service/valet/parts departments to keep current with costs associated with sales department products and to ensure that all vehicles are in the most profitable condition possible. Understanding and meeting of a customers needs by interaction, asking, listening and observing. Demonstration of cars to the customer, whilst pointing out the key beneficial and relevant features to their situation. Keeping current with available and forthcoming stock and up to date with new product developments.

d) Could you relate 1 or 2 poor & 1 or 2 good customer service experiences you have had over the years with car dealerships?
    Poor: Being completely ignored by sales people when I am obviously interested in a certain car. Complete lack of knowledge on the part of the sales person about the car in question. Lack of appreciation or understanding of my needs by the salesperson.
    Good: Dealer being honest about showing me trade price lists for new tyres. Explaining honestly and exactly how the trade-in value of my car is calculated.
    P.S. I didn't mention specific dealers for legal reasons but I can elaborate if required.

e) Please list some people or things which annoy you

People who are deliberately dishonest, whether they are buying or selling. Unwillingness to listen or to compromise.

f) How many cars would you expect to sell p.a.

Due to the traditional slowdown towards the end of the year, as well as the ongoing consumer uncertainty due to VRT changes, I would expect to be only selling approximately 1 car a week coming into the final quarter of the year. I would utilise this time to learn the position thoroughly and to build up a customer base. I would also expect that with the timing of my appointment that I should be fully experienced in time for the 1st quarter of next year, and to be selling approximately 60+ cars on average per annum.

g) What yardstick would you use to measure if this job was a success for you after say 12 months?
    If I found that I was after generating a lot of repeat and referral business, as well as maximising sales department profits in the previous 12 months, I would feel that I was after performing successfully.

Any criticism good/bad appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

f) How many cars would you expect to sell p.a.[/I][/B]
    Due to the traditional slowdown towards the end of the year, as well as the ongoing consumer uncertainty due to VRT changes, I would expect to be only selling approximately 1 car a week coming into the final quarter of the year. I would utilise this time to learn the position thoroughly and to build up a customer base. I would also expect that with the timing of my appointment that I should be fully experienced in time for the 1st quarter of next year, and to be selling approximately 60+ cars on average per annum.

Your dead if you say this imo, a good friend of mine works for a decent sized main dealer in dublin City and they must sell 20 cars a month or they are at risk, 6 salespeople have been let go in the past few months.

Its a VERY VERY bad time to go into this trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭goldenshower

Thanks for advice Hammertime. My sisters bud works in this particular dealership so I know that they are looking for someone at the moment. Been chatting to him since applying and he said sales manager has no time for BS. I would prefer to be living in real world than any "walter mitty" type situations. About bad time to be going into trade, he said they expect trainee sales people to be at least a couple of months before they are "fully trained in all aspects of car sales industry" so would realistically be a good time to be going into the market before January rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

January rush.

Jeez you're optimistic aren't ya?

Unless the economy takes a serious u-turn then there will be no January rush. I would really cosider other options if you're hell bent on a career change. If you really want to hive sales a go then I'd recommend an FMCG role

Thanks Onkle for being honest, but car sales has always been something that I have wanted to go into. Despite the current economic climate there are enough people out there that have to have a brand new car every year to make it a viable career.

P.S. any comments on my answers to dealers questions?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

No Jan rush?

So where have the near 70,000 cars registered in Dublin alone so far this year come from ?

I'd be as quick as the next person to say a weak car sales person, or any weak sales person in any job is at risk but let's keep the facts and the myths seperate.

A guy I know owns his own small independent garage, selling cars between €1,000 and around €20,000 with the odd exception being around 50k or whatever and business is ticking over very nicely for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Yeah but with some experienced car salesmen in danger of joining the dole queue why take a punt on a complete rookie? I'm sure the employer will save a few bob or maybe he's working off the assumption that it is the weakest salespeople who will wheedled out in the downturn.

Fair dues though, you are aware of the pitfalls and are not deterred.

All the hand-wringing about the Irish economy is like the environmental debate - hard to figure out if it's all as bad as the hype would suggest. The mis-timed VRT changes have made if extremely difficult to decipher just how bad things really are...

Thanks for advice lads. Orange69 that article was very informative. I still think that I can make it into a viable career though despite all the uncertainties.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If you're doing it properly, I'd say you should be able to sell 2 cars a week even in November/December. And that's giving you leeway to become familiar with the business.

TBH I wouldn't hire you if you're only going to sell 1 car a week. The rest of the sales team could surely pick up that much slack.

Yeah I would be expecting to sell more than 1 a week but sister's buddy working there said sales manager likes for his sales people to learn the job properly and that quality is more important to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭drver1

You would be looking at selling 120 130+ new and used cars a year, 150 if your any good, with some experiance behind you.

We have target well over 2 cars a week each over the next 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I would imagine that as a 'Junior' salesperson (I use that term meaning experience in the Motor Trade, and not as a derrogatory remark on your existing well established career), you will not be under any pressure that posters on this thread are discussing. You are entering the trade at the correct time, you'll have ample time to learn the ropes in the run up to October when the enquiries will come thick and fast for 09.

Don't be worried about targets for the interim, your employer will know you're on the bottom end of a learning curve, and will help you in climbing over the crest and building your own momentum. The article linked on edmunds.com earlier was an interesting read, but little follows through to the trade here in Ireland - the US car salesman is a different animal altogether.

The most important tenet you can bring from your own experience in the hospitality trade is that the customer is the most important aspect of the business. You already know this, and that puts you streets ahead of perhaps even those more senior than you where you will be working. And the very best of luck with it!

Thanks for support lads. Yeah agree about the article. Still an interesting read though. I am going into this with my eyes open so I have no problem starting at the bottom. I dont have any issues taking advice off anyone so have no chips on my shoulder about being "junior" to people who are probably younger than me. Is that a realistic target for a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Why would you want to start a career in the car industry at the present time? The economy is nearing recession, people are tightening their belts and realising their 2/3 year old euro box will last another few years. The Gov have turned the screw yet again, higher taxes, new vrt bands etc. Only a fool would be looking for a career in car sales at the minute.
    Car sales is also very bad pay, poor basic so you depend on commission to turn it into a decent salary. You wont get that commission at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Others have covered the timeliness of your career change, so I won't go into into that, but I wish you luck in car sales if you do go ahead with it.

My thoughts on the specific questions you're being asked are:

a) What qualities are necessary to become a successful car sales person?
    Product knowledge is more important than overall industry/lifestyle knowledge. Knowing future models & trends and competitor information is less important than knowing the ins and outs of your vehicles.
    Consumer psychology is good and followup and keeping your promises is vital.
    Listening skills haven't been mentioned but they're equally important to stress. It's easier to sell something if you understand exactly what the buyer wants and why they want it - everybody wants to buy, nobody wants to be sold to.
    Self motivation is important, but everyone says that so as an interviewer I'd ignore when people said that.

b) What would be your greatest challenges if you got the job?

I'd address how you intend to deal with your quiet times. The real difference between the poor salespeople and the superstars is what they do when they're not selling - poor salespeople sit and wait for the "next victim", great salespeople work on their product knowledge, touch base with their prospects and existing customers and work on their sales funnel.

Overall dealership proactivity is up to the boss - advertising, stock pricing etc. All you can do is make sure that 8 hours a day, every day, you're selling.

c) What do you think the daily tasks & duties of a salesperson are?

You pretty much have the ancillary duties of a salesman detailed here and you're correct.
    Look into the sales process if you can:
    Prospecting - finding potential customers.
    Qualification - moving people from being suspects to prospects. Do they need what you're selling, do they need it now, can they afford it, do they understand it etc.
    Demonstration - showing people around cars, knowing how to describe them in a way that relate to the customers needs, product knowledge is essential.
    Test-drive - no biggie here, just drive with the customer
    Appraise trade-in - you need to address how you'll learn to assess a car and value same. The "little book of values" is barely worth the paper its printed on, you need to ask your future boss about how they will get you up-to-speed on that.
    Negotiate & Close - your customer expertise will have helped you to to develop rapport with the customer, but you'll need training in these fields and a good bit of practice/roleplay. Again, I'd point these out as weak points and ask for a plan.

d) Could you relate 1 or 2 poor & 1 or 2 good customer service experiences you have had over the years with car dealerships?
    This answer seems fine, don't elaborate (to us or them). It's always safer to believe in "if you've got nothing good to say, say nothing at all". You may find that some procedure or practice you're criticising is something your new employer does and it was the bosses initiative.
    You've been around long enough to know how to toe that line.

e) Please list some people or things which annoy you
    Fair answer here too.

f) How many cars would you expect to sell p.a.

100 cars pa is fair if you're only selling new cars, 250 is more realistic if you're selling new and used. The year that's in it will affect all those projections. I know of guys with new car sales targets of double the targets in my garage but because of the procedures in their garages they'll be able to hit it. Your boss will set your targets and you'll query them and if happy you'll agree to them. I'd refrain from giving specific numbers as much as possible.
    This question is probably more to see if you've done your homework and are realistic with your numbers rather than to get a promise of performance out of you.

g) What yardstick would you use to measure if this job was a success for you after say 12 months?
    Your answer is fine here. The yardstick I set for myself was trying to keep up with the other salespeople with regard to numbers. If I'm within a margin of an existing, established salesperson I'll be happy. It also means that if the market collapses I'm not measuring myself against past successes or the big unknown. If their numbers are halved, then as long as mine are halved then I won't be self-critical.
    Obviously I'd love to be the top salesperson in the garage, or even in the country, but you have to be realistic or you'll set the bar too high and get dispirited.

Here are some bits to read for your general info:
    PDF magazines
    Articles on retail sales
    Sales process
    Sales funnel
    Sales Info
    WAY MORE Sales Info (this'll keep you busy for a while)

Ignore the Edmunds.com article, it's not relevant to the Irish way of doing things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MOTIVATED

FORGET ABOUT WORKING IN THE MOTOR TRADE MATE .
    I have just got out of it after 24yrs ,its f'#'# d the good times are over. I was in one of the largest dealerships in Dublin for 15yrs and it was never as bad as it is now.

It's never been as bad as it is now and you won't make a lot of money in sales at the moment and you'll dread for your job most days, but it's a hell of a lot of fun and has some of the best characters working there - never a dull day!

It's a really great place to be if you like working with people too; some people are just d*cks, but the majority are excited and engaged and interested in working with you to buy a new car. Sometimes you get someone who's really done their homework and knows more than you, when you win them over and get the deal it's a brilliant feeling!

I may lose my job soon, and when I do I'll deal with it, but I don't think I'll ever regret getting into it - I've learned a hell of a lot in the last 16 months and enjoyed (nearly) every minute of it.

Your eyes are wide open - if you're comfortable, go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

MOTIVATED wrote: »
    FORGET ABOUT WORKING IN THE MOTOR TRADE MATE .
    I have just got out of it after 24yrs ,its f'#'# d the good times are over. I was in one of the largest dealerships in Dublin for 15yrs and it was never as bad as it is now.

+1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The motor industry is booming. 70,000 new cars sold so far this year. It may not have slowed this much in 30 years, but the way some gloommongers here are talking you'd swear they were George Lee in a good mood. It's not as if there won't be 50,000 new cars sold in 09, you just need to know how to get the customers, plus depending on the franchise sales may even increase.

"If you want a solid customer base, you build the most expensive of what you're selling, there's always a buyer for the $1,000,000 watch"

The same is true of Merc, BMW, Audi, Jag and Lexus; the buyers will ALWAYS be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

ninty9er wrote: »
    The motor industry is booming. 70,000 new cars sold so far this year. It may not have slowed this much in 30 years, but the way some gloommongers here are talking you'd swear they were George Lee in a good mood. It's not as if there won't be 50,000 new cars sold in 09, you just need to know how to get the customers, plus depending on the franchise sales may even increase.

"If you want a solid customer base, you build the most expensive of what you're selling, there's always a buyer for the $1,000,000 watch"

The same is true of Merc, BMW, Audi, Jag and Lexus; the buyers will ALWAYS be there.

Yeah, which explains why sales outlets are letting people go and stock is sitting in the same place for months... Just don't go from the frying pan to the fire, that's my advice. If you want a permanent headache and want to be dealing with possibly the rudest customers on earth, then get a job in the motor trade. A car salesman I know very well recently said to me, "you know, this job would be not too bad if it wasn't for every second cu*t that comes through the door wanting to screw you"... You'll be dealing with customers bringing in cars that have expensive defects and trying to hide them from you, you'll be dealing with cunning and devious customers who will completely wreck your head from day one and I'm saying this from experience. I've one friend who is getting out of the business after having enough with a customer who crashed a nearly new car and blamed it on the garage that sold it to him, solicitors letters and the rest of it. You'll also be dealing with people who have it in their head that you are untrustworthy, that your business is untrustworthy and will argue with you over anything, no matter what you do for them, it won't be enough, and this is just to sell the car, this is before there is a warranty problem or anything like that.

Take my best advice and run a mile from the motor industry. There is also a lot to be said for career opportunities in the industry, there is no structure to career progression in the industry, qualifications mean fu*k all and there is a subtle culture running through the whole industry that basically promotes screwing someone/anyone to turn a fast buck, particularly within the franchised end of the business. This culture has made the retailer suspicious of everyone who works in the trade. Take my advice and don't walk, RUN...

• Advertisement

Thanks audichris, you have given me plenty of food for thought. Well I am coming out of an industry that I am sick of and (hopefully) going into something that I will love. I am at the stage in life where I would rather be in a job I like rather than one just to pay the bills. I have 2 other questions;

1)What should I be expecting as a basic salary? Its a main dealer in cork.

2)Will 2 points on my license affect my chances?

I hope it's not the main Dealer I know that are currently hiring. If it is, I'd run a mile.

Could you be more specific ned? marque/location roughly? Why should I run?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

ned78 wrote: »
    I would imagine that as a 'Junior' salesperson (I use that term meaning experience in the Motor Trade, and not as a derrogatory remark on your existing well established career), you will not be under any pressure that posters on this thread are discussing. You are entering the trade at the correct time, you'll have ample time to learn the ropes in the run up to October when the enquiries will come thick and fast for 09.

Don't be worried about targets for the interim, your employer will know you're on the bottom end of a learning curve, and will help you in climbing over the crest and building your own momentum. The article linked on edmunds.com earlier was an interesting read, but little follows through to the trade here in Ireland - the US car salesman is a different animal altogether.

The most important tenet you can bring from your own experience in the hospitality trade is that the customer is the most important aspect of the business. You already know this, and that puts you streets ahead of perhaps even those more senior than you where you will be working. And the very best of luck with it!

Great post and some great advice from AudiChris too.

However the latter's comment about being in danger of losing his job and the advice from MOTIVATED should be taken on board. Consumer confidence is the lowest it's been in more than a decade - be VERY careful about burning bridges in your current industry.

There are a few optimists here living in ivory towers who think everything is just cushty - it's not. I was in a dealer this morning and some stuff that should be walking out the door - like a showroom-perfect 07 Corolla 1.4D is stuck on the forecourt. New showroom cars have been there ages as well.

Keep an eye on jobs.ie. If you see a dealer who constantly has positions advertised, it's not because of rapid expansion, more likely high staff turnover.

Specifics re: dealers is better taken to PM imho.

Could you be more specific ned? marque/location roughly? Why should I run?

Not on a Public Forum I'm afraid, boards is far too transparent for those purposes, but as Audi Chris said, if it's a certain company, who are constantly advertising for a few roles, be wary. High turnover and non existent morale is a factor in the Dealership I'm thinking of.

Thanks for warning lads. Can anybody answer the points and salary questions?

P.S. ned78 pm sent

An average basic is about 20k, but argue to have any BIK on your company car to be offset so that it doesn't affect your wages. 2 points shouldn't make a diff, most garages would only have an issue if you have more than 4, but you'll still need to disclose the 2 you have.

Cheers ned. Yeah was thinking about 20k-22k basic. How much commission should I expect and is it negotiable? Was told 10% on FINAL profit for garage including any trade-in. Is this fair enough? What do you mean by "offset"? Does this mean cut in basic to allow company car?(sorry my taxation knowledge is poor to say the least):o

• Advertisement

10% on net profit is fair enough. With regard to BIK, if you're going to get charged 100 a week BIK, you should ask the garage to pay you an additional 100 to cover it.

Advertisement