Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have you ever met a partner in a romantic / "Hollywood" type way

Options
  • 24-08-2008 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

like hitting it off with a stranger on a bus or getting together with someone you met in a doctor's waiting room?

Comments

No. Why have you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Went out on a couple of dates with a stunt man who had played Hollywood, does that count? He almost fell for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Went out on a couple of dates with a stunt man who had played Hollywood, does that count? He almost fell for me...

Oh dear... so....bad.... :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Oh dear... so....bad.... :pac:
    Oh, I know...lame, lame, lame! OK, it's noted. I will not give up my day job to become a bean ghrinn.:D

B!ue shuffles back to TCN.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Oh, I know...lame, lame, lame! OK, it's noted. I will not give up my day job to become a bean ghrinn.:D
    You're already half way there... bean pole.. :pac: Oh christ that's even lamer
    B!ue shuffles back to TCN.
    I think I'll follow suit!

• Advertisement

God yes. In a museum coffee shop (very very romantic story followed - not for here) would be one of many to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Yes! One time I was in a coffee shop with my friend, and in walked two gentlemen we went to high school with. We chatted, and they left. Then they walked back in and said (to me, poor friend) "We both wanted to ask you out, so we flipped a coin". Turned out the hot one won. That was very flattering. Ended horribly, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭stressed out

Moonbaby wrote: »
    No. Why have you?

Not really. One time I met an Oz guy on a bus and we talked the whole way from Dublin to Galway. He arranged to meet me in some Galway pub but I had a boyfriend.
    Another time I got chatting to a guy on a street who was collecting for charity (not a chugger - long before those days!) We chatted for ages and seemed to hit it off. We exchanged names and he told me to call down to his house some time but I never did!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

i met my ex on a beach in a foreign country.

but we were both drunk so that kinda takes away from any romanticness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

I have many leather bound books, and
    my apartment smells of rich mahogony

wow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I'd love to meet someone in a bookshop, cheesy or wha?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I met a guy at a work christmas party, he lived in belfast and me in dublin.
    We chatted all night and he mailed me the monday after, then called so say it was great to meet me and sung my praises.
    A whirlwind romance started and it was really like something out of a fairytale.
    We were head over heels mad about each other, so I moved up there to be with him. It was like a dream come true and we were meant for each other.
    2 years later I was back home. Men stink.
    :P

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

You had me at hello

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I scored a HOT HOT HOTTIE to a 'Grease' medley at a wedding, he had his army dress uniform on....... does that count???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

or getting together with someone you met in a doctor's waiting room?

I'd just be thinking what the fcuk are they getting treated for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 jells bells

my grandparents met when they both ducked into a doorway to avoid a sudden downpour on michigan avenue in chicago. grandpa was on navy leave and they were married six weeks later. i love that story.

my favorite personal story book romance experience: years ago i was visiting nyc and staying with a guy friend from california. we had been off and on for ages before he left for new york. it was my first trip to nyc so i was spinning on the excitement to start. after a lovely dinner we were walking back to his apartment through tompkins square park and talking about the potential for the two of us and everything just clicked into place. it started to snow and he picked me up and kissed me and said that i made him like new york so long as i was there. i was sunk.

my grandparents met when they both ducked into a doorway to avoid a sudden downpour on michigan avenue in chicago. grandpa was on navy leave and they were married six weeks later. i love that story.

my favorite personal story book romance experience: years ago i was visiting nyc and staying with a guy friend from california. we had been off and on for ages before he left for new york. it was my first trip to nyc so i was spinning on the excitement to start. after a lovely dinner we were walking back to his apartment through tompkins square park and talking about the potential for the two of us and everything just clicked into place. it started to snow and he picked me up and kissed me and said that i made him like new york so long as i was there. i was sunk.

Those are both adorable!

PillyPen wrote: »
    Those are both adorable!

Thanks :) My grandparents' story was my favorite to hear from my grandma...she would absolutely light up every time she retold it.

My guy had the very un-story book ending of him messing around on me with a rather masculine looking woman. The start will always be a nice memory though...

Thanks :) My grandparents' story was my favorite to hear from my grandma...she would absolutely light up every time she retold it.

That is just the cutest thing ever. Sometimes I think my expectations of romance have been too heavily influenced by Hollywood, but when you hear about a couple like that, how can you not want to hold out until something amazing comes along?
    My guy had the very un-story book ending of him messing around on me with a rather masculine looking woman. The start will always be a nice memory though...

And then it's back to reality. :( You're right, though, it was a lovely story, if you leave out the ending. Are your grandparents still happy in love?

PillyPen wrote: »
    Are your grandparents still happy in love?

My grandpa passed away before I was born; grandma lived on for over 20 years without him. The last thing I remember her saying when she was sick was that Paul (my grandpa) was waiting for her and wanted to bring her fishing. My loves haven't even been close :(

• Advertisement

Aw, that actually made me tear up. Well, you've had the romantic beginning which makes you far ahead of many of us. The romantic ending will come eventually.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I was in my school musical two years ago, Grease, and paired with a really nice, cute guy as my dance partner.On the opening night after our biggest number, we both pegged it off the stage,around the corner and kissed, him in a suit and me in a 50s style prom dress. Fun times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭TheZenWithin

my cousins friend stayed over in her house the same nite i did.
    then her friend(niamh) got dumped later that nite.i tried cheering her up which turned into stayin the entire night just lying on the couch (which wasnt that big) talking to each other.the next morning ay like 9 or 10 o clock we practically new each other inside out.i think there where even tears.

maybe not the most romantic thig ever but slightly surreal so it could be hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

I once saw a girl waiting in line for a gig and thought she was quite hot. Saw she had a boyfriend and my heart sank a bit. I completely forgot about it until four months later when I saw her at another concert and thought she was super hot. She got chatting to my friends but I was far too shy to speak to her at all.

Two months later I got a text from one of those friends asking me if it would be okay to give her my number because she had asked him for it!

Needless to say it ended terribly. Still. I got to run around with a joyous smile on my face for a little while though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 amom

Really want to post my story here but so afraid ill be banned for it being puke worthy and i'm starting to get the hang of this.......

Advertisement