Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a car on the weekend

Options
  • 24-08-2008 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Quickie for ye.

Might be buying a car next weekend, it'll be around 9k... Should I be bringing cash or what if i plan on taking the car that day...

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The buyer might stipulate what he/she wants. If it's cash make sure you bring a friend or something. These days you wouldn't get 9k in a bank robbery

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Yeah, Just don't want to go up with 9k cash and have it taken for no reason either :P

Is it a private sale or a dealer?

Onkle wrote: »
    Is it a private sale or a dealer?

private, thats why i'm asking :)

Best to ask the seller what they would prefer. For your own safety try and pay by draft. Don't get a draft for the whole amount thogh cos I'm sure you'll be bargaining :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Best to ask the seller what they would prefer. For your own safety try and pay by draft. Don't get a draft for the whole amount thogh cos I'm sure you'll be bargaining :)

Draft, just bargain before hand, look at it, say you will be in touch, then talk too him down the phone, say, it will be a draft etc...

As for the 9k in a bank robbery comment, very very true...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Yea, a draft would be the wise choice, but if you decide to pay by cash, try getting some money back for juice for the journey home, enough to fill the tank would be resonable.

He wouldnt be able to clear the bank draft til monday though so how would he know it was genuine or whatever?

Have you already seen the car? If not, go take a look then go away and think about it, it'd be very unwise to make a decision there and then. Excitement could get the better of you and you could end up with a POS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    He wouldnt be able to clear the bank draft til monday though so how would he know it was genuine or whatever?

He can ring your bank too confirm if its real or not, I am not too sure, but its something along them lines. Anyone know the story on this?

• Advertisement

Have you already seen the car? If not, go take a look then go away and think about it, it'd be very unwise to make a decision there and then. Excitement could get the better of you and you could end up with a POS

Haven't seen it yet. Will try and get up during the week to see it and then collect it if all is well on saturday but as the banks are closed I'm just worried that he mightnt accept a draft or something

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    Haven't seen it yet. Will try and get up during the week to see it and then collect it if all is well on saturday but as the banks are closed I'm just worried that he mightnt accept a draft or something

TBH all you can really do is discuss it with the seller so and try and come to an arrangement

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭cabra64

I think that if your going with a draft of the full amount your losing alot of bargaining power. When buying the car you gonna be kind of picky so you can get a few quid off. The basics like four new tyres @ 50 quid each = 200 off. Tax could save cost you 150. another 50 for a tank of fuel. You'd never get that money if you'd a draft. Then again its 9k your dealing with so maybe your happy to spend it all. Definately bargain hard maybe bringing a draft for 7 or 8k and then holding out for as much off as you can. Also definately bring a burly friend. Its gas the reaction you see when the big guy gets out of the car!! faces just drop. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't rush into buying a car on the same day you go to view it.

If you are happy with the car then just agree a price and a payment method with the seller, leave a deposit to secure it and agree to collect it another day pending a mechanic's inspection.

Rushing into doing the whole thing in one day could be an expensive mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

draft of 8000 for your own security, 1000 in cash for bargaining with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Sashy

I totally agree with the last comment, 8000 draught or cheque and 1000 or 500 bargaining money.

Be wary of anyone who only wants cash as a bankers draught is as good as cash.
    Also give the car a really good check over. It is well worth giving a machanic 50 to look at the car for that price.

Also an NCT stands for nothing!!! Not one thing.

I bought a car nearly 4 years ago which i gave over 9 grand for, it had an nct of 3 weeks previous. Turns out the car wasnt even fit to be passed and was dangerous. I have been on Primetime with this, sunday world and ireland on sunday (you might have seen this).

I bought mine private and it is still in the courts process, there isnt good enough laws in this country for buying private.
    A lot of this cosemetic work can be repaired very well and it is not ilegal in this country to join 2 cars together as long as the work is done right.

Having said that, this was my experience, and this car could be totally okay. But always watch out for yourself. Get all and any checks on the car that you can. Thankfully I didnt pay cash for mine at the time, god knows how that would have turned out.

It also might be a good idea to draw up a letter for the seller to sign, to state that the car has never been crashed/repaired and is in good safe working order. It would only take 2 minutes and its something that you have just in case.

I know i might have skipped off the beat a little hear, just I know how easy for some of these to get away with things especially in this country!!

Good luck in your new car

It should be no problem taking the car on a saturday for example though while giving a bank draft even though the banks aren't open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 collywolly123

im buying my car tuesday i gave deposit in the car garage its perfect not even a scratch has been seen by a mechanic etc, but should i bring a draft aswell or maybe a cheque or cash for the rest of the money?? I've €5,000 to pay the guy in the garage,
    thanks!

im buying my car tuesday i gave deposit in the car garage its perfect not even a scratch has been seen by a mechanic etc, but should i bring a draft aswell or maybe a cheque or cash for the rest of the money?? I've €5,000 to pay the guy in the garage,
    thanks!

Garage will take anything. Go with whatever is handiest for yourself

You should be okay in a garage to give whatever you like Colly as you will get a receipt and guarantee with your car. They usually give you a big sheet with a lot of information on it, price of car, milage, how much and type of payment etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

A couple of questions OP:

You are going to see the car and maybe drive it away?
    Are you bringing a mechanic and have you done a search on cartell / motorcheck?
    How are you going to arrange your insurance if you're not sure you're going to buy it or not?

bazz26's advice is spot on .

eoin_s wrote: »
    A couple of questions OP:

You are going to see the car and maybe drive it away?
    Are you bringing a mechanic and have you done a search on cartell / motorcheck?
    How are you going to arrange your insurance if you're not sure you're going to buy it or not?

bazz26's advice is spot on .

Going to see it on wednesday just to see what its like.

Might try and bring one of the buddies if he's around alright, have a bit of experience myself so it should get me through, used to work in an autoparts shop god help me :rolleyes:
    Cartell search will be done once I contacthim to arrange the wednesday visit.

Will just ring the insurance company once i have viewed the car and get it insured from saturday onwards.

Sorry DJ I didnt see your last post there about the bank draft.
    A bank draft is as good as cash, once you give it over its theirs. It shouldn put them out as it goes into their bank account more or less straight away if it is from the same bank they work with. It shouldn worry them either if you give it to them on a sat even if the banks are closed. Also i think PTSB are open in some places for a couple of hours on a sat morning.
    You cant cancel a bank draft but just in case something goes wrong you can get proof you paid them in full and how much you paid for it.
    It is a good idea to bring your mate if he knows a good bit about cars if he is a mechanic. But can I just say, even by giving a good mechanic a 100 could be well worth your money, he could spot something that could cost you hundreds to fix in the future. The stories I hear about some cover ups that some people can do is unbelievable, even to a mechanics ear.

To be honest if I was going to buy another car private again at that kind of money I would get an inspection from the AA. You dont have to be a member and can get a full check done for 150 (that was the last time I checked). Absolutely every inch of the car will be checked, think they spend over an hour looking at it. They check underneath and everything and i think (dont quote me on this) that they do insurance and history checks on the car as well

I would not accept a bank draft for a car on a weekend. Well, I would accept it, but would not release the car until the draft had been fully cleared.

I would not accept a bank draft for a car on a weekend. Well, I would accept it, but would not release the car until the draft had been fully cleared.

thats exactly what i'm worried about!

As far as I am aware a bank will not give you a draft until you give them the money first or the money is in your bank account already, so basically a bank draft cannot bounce or cannot be cancelled. Therefore a draft does not have to be cleared. It is a sort of guaranteed cheque.
    And if the person uses the bank as you the money is put in their account straight away, if they dont have the same bank account it may take a few days for one bank to give it to another.

There is no harm giving your bank a quick call just to assure yourself.
    If you do decide to pay all that in cash, just be careful

Sashy wrote: »
    As far as I am aware a bank will not give you a draft until you give them the money first or the money is in your bank account already, so basically a bank draft cannot bounce or cannot be cancelled. Therefore a draft does not have to be cleared. It is a sort of guaranteed cheque.
    And if the person uses the bank as you the money is put in their account straight away, if they dont have the same bank account it may take a few days for one bank to give it to another.

There is no harm giving your bank a quick call just to assure yourself.
    If you do decide to pay all that in cash, just be careful

That's for genuine bank drafts. There are many good forgeries out there. Someone with more financial experience can elaborate on this, but when a draft is lodged to your account, your balance may increase to indicate this, however when a fake draft is found out, the balance reduces again. Many of the scams work on this principle.

The only circumstances in which I would accept a draft would be if I could ring the issuing branch, quote the draft number and confirm it was valid. There have been too many people stung for me to assume that it's the real deal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The only circumstances in which I would accept a draft would be if I could ring the issuing branch, quote the draft number and confirm it was valid. There have been too many people stung for me to assume that it's the real deal.
    Good advice^^^.

Another option is to transfer via online banking. I only know about AIB but an account transfer with them (to another AIB account) is instant.

Eoins last statement is also true about forged drafts, I have heard of these type of scams happening before aswell.

It is you that is buying the car and will be giving the payment, so I am sure if you decide to pay by draft it will be genuine and it will be up to seller to check the draft out, if they are happy to accept it, that is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement