Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

high mileage 1.9 tdi engine

Options
  • 24-08-2008 11:51am

lookin at some 1.9 tdi powered cars in the UK

can anyone with experience of these tell me what you can expect to go wrong in them when they are over 170K miles and some i saw online are even 200K ++

are they reliable even over that mileage ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The TDi lump itself is pretty reliable if it has been maintained properly but things like the turbo could be on it's way out at that stage of it's life. Also take into accounts other components in the car with that sort of mileage. Gearbox, clutch, suspension, brakes, etc will not be as durable as the engine and may need replacing.

When looking at a car with this sort of mileage you have to think about the wear and tear on the whole car not just the engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

My 1.9TDI has just hit 170K miles. Still running very smoothly. Not peep from it for the year ive owned it and ive done ALOT of driving. Make sure the timing belts have been done every 60000, and make sure the water pump has been replaced.

As previously stated its the things like the clutch and suspension components etc that you have to look for!

Advertisement