Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do signs read Dunglow instead of Dungloe.

• 24-08-2008 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

It really irritates me when I see the miss spelt signs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Damn good question. Im sure someone will enlighten us.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Similarly Laghey is sometimes signposted as Laghy. Not sure which is supposed to be right, but then they are anglicised Gaelic words.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

I suppose but how is Dungloe even close to An Clochan Liath..

Not all signs read dunglow either, some spell it right. I thought it was just the sign in letterkenny next to Aldi that was misspelt but since I've seen several signs with the name misspelt..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

It's spelt "Dunglow" on the Letterkenny road outside Lifford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

An auld fella from Dungloe told me the old spelliing was Dunglow he did'nt know why or the reason for change have to do some research on this now as it's annoying me now:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

septic tanks buried deeper in the ground?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

cows with very short legs?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Glazun wrote: »
    I suppose but how is Dungloe even close to An Clochan Liath..

Theres a Dún an Gleo somewhere north of the town...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Got this from www.cuil.ie

On 18th century (e.g. Taylor & Skinner 1776), Dungloe is written as Cloghanlea. The name Dungloe came into common English usage in the later years of the 18th Century when the monthly fair, formerly held at Dún an Gleó five miles north of the nascent town, was transferred to An Clochán Liath. In time the name of the fair and that of the town were subsumed. Dungloe is in the Parish of Templecrone. The early cartographers, notably the marine cartographers of the mid 19th Century, confused the issue by spelling the name of the town as Dunglow. This mistake is often still seen, even on signage It was also the English name used in the Placename Order, which made An Clochán Liath the only official name for the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Good find Broxi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

I hate when people spell my hometown wrong. :mad::mad:

An Clochán Liath stands for Grey Stones doesn't it not? I always thought it had to do with the little river running out into the bay, there were stepping stones (still are) there and the name came from that.

Good find by Broxi btw. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i get the same being from rathmullen, some spell it with an "an" at the end others "en" bothered me as a kid but not any more

Advertisement