Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance?

Options
  • 24-08-2008 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

Starting my lessons in a few weeks. I was thinking about doing lessons til christmas, and then when my familys renewal comes up, I'd think about getting insured for say 3 months. I'd apply for my test so that I would (fingers crossed) be gaureteed to get in within that 3 months. But the problem I face is, do any insurance companies allow you to "upgrade" your insurance after your test without having to pay a premium for it? i.e. A price for 3 months of provisional and 9 months of full?

Regards,

ironclaw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Well, I have my provisional 6 months now but I've been busy, so getting my test or lessons hasn't been a priority. But I'm on track now. I'd prefer to know I can pass the test first time by having lessons and some experience first. So, I think I'll just bite the bullet and get some insurance asap. Maybe even 6 months worth (if thats possible), after that I will be going halves on a car.

Some mates of my mine are applying with only 10 hours (from lessons) and no "real" experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I can't afford more than one lesson a week. I really think there should be tax relief or some sort of government help with the cost of the lessons. After all some people do no lessons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Couldn't agree more on that one. I want at least 6 months under my belt. I have to say, Hibernian do a good deal with there training course in return for a lower premium. Anyone have any experience with that?

I think there should be the 6 months waiting from the time you get your provisional and then a set number of hours needed behind the wheel (By an accredited instructor and insurer)

As regards Tax relief, I don't agree. It should be like Japan where the goverment do a training course which takes 12 weeks I think. Or a shorter course for €2000. But, guess what, they have the lowest fatality rate in the world (I believe)

Advertisement