Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Poodle

• 24-08-2008 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi guys does anyone know of any standard poodle breeders in ireland that actually breed for health reasons. I've been told to avoid buying in Ireland but was wondering was there anyone out there to prove this wrong!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Some years ago I was looking for a dog and hoped to get a standard poodle (happy childhood memories relived...)

I talked to breeders here, and was told that the breed has been so inbred, from such a tiny gene base that it's riddled with genetic disorders. (A bit like humans in Ireland, with our soaring rate of things like Crohns, pulmonary diseases, and other gene-linked horrors.)

I asked why they didn't fly semen in from France or the US, as they do for greyhounds, and one person I was talking to, in the IKC, got kind of thoughtful about the possibility. I don't know if they ever did that.

If you discover a non-inbred strain of Irish poodles please post it here - I'd love to get a poodle some day. Ours were so gorgeous, and just the right size for a dog, with the head at the right place to nudge your hand gently for petting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Zhara2007

luckat wrote: »
    Some years ago I was looking for a dog and hoped to get a standard poodle (happy childhood memories relived...)

I talked to breeders here, and was told that the breed has been so inbred, from such a tiny gene base that it's riddled with genetic disorders. (A bit like humans in Ireland, with our soaring rate of things like Crohns, pulmonary diseases, and other gene-linked horrors.)

I asked why they didn't fly semen in from France or the US, as they do for greyhounds, and one person I was talking to, in the IKC, got kind of thoughtful about the possibility. I don't know if they ever did that.

If you discover a non-inbred strain of Irish poodles please post it here - I'd love to get a poodle some day. Ours were so gorgeous, and just the right size for a dog, with the head at the right place to nudge your hand gently for petting.

<No Advertising>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I suggest you read the charter of of any forum before you post in it. I also suggest you don't bump up any more 3 year old threads.

Locking

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement