Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym?

Options
  • 24-08-2008 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Is there a gym in DIT? If so is it free? Do you have to register for it at the start of the year? What are the opening times?

I'm going into first year this September. I'd like to get back into weight lifting. Anyone else use the DIT gym for this purpose or would I be better paying for a membership in an off-campus gym?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

disssco wrote: »
    Is there a gym in DIT? If so is it free? Do you have to register for it at the start of the year? What are the opening times?

I'm going into first year this September. I'd like to get back into weight lifting. Anyone else use the DIT gym for this purpose or would I be better paying for a membership in an off-campus gym?
    The Gym & pool are in Kevin St DIT, it is not free but its something reasonable like €90 per year,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hockeygirl

Which DIT?? There is a small one in Kevin st... with a small pool- membership is half of what you would pay anywhere else.

Cant comment on how good the weights are as that wouldnt be my thing but there is plenty to keep you going.

Plus if you have periods off which arent around liunch time the gym is practically empty

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dufresne

Wesite is http://www.ditsports.ie/

Prices are on there as well at the 'join online' link. As the others said - small but cheap and can be quite empty at off peak times

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

Cool thanks. I'll be in Aungiers Street and live even closer to Kevin Street so might be very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Excellent, I'm liking the sound of this place moren and more everyday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i've never been in the gym fully in kevin street, but from looking in when passing by it looks really really cramped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

all by women? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm pretty sure that there is one opposite Bolton St. too in the Linenhall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

As far as I can see, the gym in Kevin street is all cardio. A bank of treadmills and some ab crunchers. I took a look in before, didn't see a squating rack, bench or anything. Bit useless tbh. Maybe i missed something though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Cadeaus

It's €100 per year, but you can only pay through bank transfer (or something to that effect). Otherwise you can get a card that gives you five trips for a tenner.

The stuff in there is almost all cardio, some weights but if you're serious about training I'd recommend finding somewhere else. The YMCA on Aungier street is supposed to be pretty good. Not as cheap as Kevin street, but reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Buffman

bigkev49 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that there is one opposite Bolton St. too in the Linenhall.

Ye, there is one in Linenhall and i'm pretty sure it's free. (Well I never paid anything for it anyway.) Used to be up on the top floor when I was there but I heard they moved it. Its now out the back of Linenhall below ground I think.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I tried looking into the bolton street one but the opening hours are desperate so I went over to have a gander when it was closed and it was the most miserable looking gym I've seen. The opening hours strike me as aimed at lecturers, rather than students.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

pool is free

bolton gym is free

kev street gym - have to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Gym in Kevin St is pretty pathetic tbh.

The Fitness Dock up the road (above what was spar called something else now) is a very good gym.

Two years ago I got student membership for €300 for the year but tbh I'd say you can probably get money off that. As for me they started off with it being €450 and after I said no a few times they said €300.

Not sure how much the YMCA gym is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Buffman

I tried looking into the bolton street one but the opening hours are desperate so I went over to have a gander when it was closed and it was the most miserable looking gym I've seen. The opening hours strike me as aimed at lecturers, rather than students.

Pretty sure its open all the normal college hours. If your talking about supervised opening hours, yes, they could be a bit better.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Advertisement