Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Undertaker makes Irish Sunday Independent's Business Section

• 24-08-2008 2:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭

picture1ll8.jpg
    picture1ll8.ae7fcf00c8.jpg
    Random

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 GMoneyV1

Random.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Bizarre...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Maybe the journalist became a fan after he wrote this article: http://unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=184&si=1274347&issue_id=11590

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Fozzy wrote: »
    Maybe the journalist became a fan after he wrote this article: http://unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=184&si=1274347&issue_id=11590

Good find

Typical article on Wrestling.

Cringe
    Cringe
    Cringe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Jesus that was some painful article to read. What was he at like? I'm going to write an article about WWE and get things wrong in it and take subtile jabs at them every now and then? Get a real job boy.

• Advertisement

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Jesus that was some painful article to read. What was he at like? I'm going to write an article about WWE and get things wrong in it and take subtile jabs at them every now and then? Get a real job boy.

You just know he is closet fan. If I read another Big Daddy reference in an article like this again Ill scream. For me it always goes back to are the media that misinformed about a lot of what they cover?

Gerard.C wrote: »

I don't get what's wrong with it.

I mean it was in the business section. It was explaining the WWE as a business and mentioned it's annual profits and how it's divided up into areas such as two main live shows, PPV's which sell in over 140 countries and merchandise. It noted how the company has made recent losses and how it expects this to be a loss for the sake of a long-term game. It talks about Irish connections that may interest some potential investers. It does what it should - it introduces the business minded to the business of WWE, I doubt they care about the who's who of it and what their signature moves are.

I mean, if it was that bare on details in say an entertainment magazine like Day & Night, fair enough, but it's not. And there's little wrong with it.

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    I don't get what's wrong with it.

I mean it was in the business section. It was explaining the WWE as a business and mentioned it's annual profits and how it's divided up into areas such as two main live shows, PPV's which sell in over 140 countries and merchandise. It noted how the company has made recent losses and how it expects this to be a loss for the sake of a long-term game. It talks about Irish connections that may interest some potential investers. It does what it should - it introduces the business minded to the business of WWE, I doubt they care about the who's who of it and what their signature moves are.

I mean, if it was that bare on details in say an entertainment magazine like Day & Night, fair enough, but it's not. And there's little wrong with it.

In other words the stuff they got off WWE's press department. Im not looking for signature moves just some product knowledge beyond surface level to the same degree they have for every other company they cover. It is a decent article (Ive read far worse on WWE & UFC) for what it is, if slightly off base and snobbish.
    The last time Wrestlemania hit the Point Depot, tickets sold out in six minutes flat.

Basic fact checking would help

I don't understand what you mean. My point was just that it outlines the general aspects of the company for potential investors, with a bit of a 'sense of humour' thrown in. You'd imagine someone serious about investing in the WWE would do some more research before investing, rather than basing it solely on this piece.

I think this piece is just an eye-opener for some business people to this company as a serious business. Something beyond the norm, but with highlighted benefits. Don't think it's supposed to be anything more.

It stated:
    General Jist of the Business
    Target Audience
    Income and Annual Profits
    Income Areas (PPVs, Merch etc.)
    History of the business (though very briefly)

It could've been more in-dept but there was no need. And you have to remember the writer had to meet a deadline too!

I don't understand what you mean. My point was just that it outlines the general aspects of the company for potential investors, with a bit of a 'sense of humour' thrown in. You'd imagine someone serious about investing in the WWE would do some more research before investing, rather than basing it solely on this piece.

I think this piece is just an eye-opener for some business people to this company as a serious business. Something beyond the norm, but with highlighted benefits. Don't think it's supposed to be anything more.

It stated:
    General Jist of the Business
    Target Audience
    Income and Annual Profits
    Income Areas (PPVs, Merch etc.)
    History of the business (though very briefly)

It could've been more in-dept but there was no need. And you have to remember the writer had to meet a deadline too!

I dont want to repeat what I wrote so I wont. I was fairly clear in what I wrote and actually agree with a fair bit here. The subject of the article is treated with more contempt than most other companies they cover, dont give the excuse of deadlines as it doesnt really come into this article in particular.

• Advertisement

rovert wrote: »
    I dont want to repeat what I wrote so I wont. I was fairly clear in what I wrote and actually agree with a fair bit here. The subject of the article is treated with more contempt than most other companies they cover, dont give the excuse of deadlines as it doesnt really come into this article in particular.

Deadlines do exist for articles not are not necessarily 'news'. Even college 'papers give deadlines for almost all entries. I mean if someone was to undertake (excuse the pun) doing a piece on the WWE business, they couldn't just hand-it in whenever they want. It would have to have a date for submission. It'd be chaos otherwise.

I'm not doubting it wasn't treated like other business' in it's review either, but in fairness, it's not like many other business' in Ireland. Very few Irish business' revolve around slams, swantons and 5-knuckle shuffles. You're average Irish Business punter has the basic jist of Pro Wrestling and would view it in a fairly light-hearted way. The review I think just follows this way of thinking. Grown men in lycra tossing each other 'round can hardly be written about in all seriousness for those who don't subscribe to it as a form of entertainment.

Deadlines do exist for articles not are not necessarily 'news'. Even college 'papers give deadlines for almost all entries. I mean if someone was to undertake (excuse the pun) doing a piece on the WWE business, they couldn't just hand-it in whenever they want. It would have to have a date for submission. It'd be chaos otherwise..

Hello the majority of articles have strict deadlines not just the one about Wrestling.
    I'm not doubting it wasn't treated like other business' in it's review either, but in fairness, it's not like many other business' in Ireland. Very few Irish business' revolve aroundslams, swantons and 5-knuckle shuffles . You're average Irish Business punter has the basic jist of Pro Wrestling and would view it in a fairly light-hearted way. The review I think just follows this way of thinking. Grown men in lycra tossing each other 'round can hardly be written about in all seriousness for those who don't subscribe to it as a form of entertainment.

It doesnt revolve around slams, swantons and 5-knuckle shuffles. If you are talking about WWE in a business context. If thats the rational behind the article then it proves everything Im saying. Without quoting vast tracks of the article WWE isnt treated in fairly light-hearted way, the way it is written shows contempt if anything for the product. Ive read light-hearted but informed articles before but this aint one of them. Ive already quoted a pretty major, basic error, you wouldnt find it in 99.9% of other business articles.

Advertisement