Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thoughts on Peugeot 307

Options
  • 24-08-2008 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

buying a 2002 peugeot 307 i.4L
    next week...
    has anyone experience on these cars are they good on the road ? all that stuff?
    i just hope its not the type of car that will give me trouble in a while,
    its nct'd and been checked with a mechanic though....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Sashy

Colly,

I have a peu 307 mysel but its a 2.0 l diesel. I have heard loads of stories that are bad cars, lots of problems etc, but I have to say I have been through about 8 cars since I was 17, (now 25) and they included toyotas and bmws. I have held on to this one the longest.
    I have had no real difficulty with mine at all. I have had to replace just sensors and a wheel bearing over the last 2 and half years. Thats not bad going at all for that lenght of time at all.
    I will say they are very comfortable and so easy to run, even better than toyota. That says a lot.

I hear that they dont really hold their value too well, but dont know about that yet. I am selling mine soon so will know more then..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

ya we had one in the family the 2.0 hdi diesel. it never gave an once of trouble. id say you would be grand once its serviced regularly. smashing looking car for a good price. diesels are bullet proof. if getting a 1.4 make sure its the 16 valve and not 8 valve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 collywolly123

ya we had one in the family the 2.0 hdi diesel. it never gave an once of trouble. id say you would be grand once its serviced regularly. smashing looking car for a good price. diesels are bullet proof. if getting a 1.4 make sure its the 16 valve and not 8 valve

thanks german and sashy,
    why the 16V and not the 8V?:)

tbh i dont know the technical side this is what i just heard and read everywhere. its just ment to be much slower afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

From 2001 to late 2003 the 307 1.4 litre was the 75bhp version which was carried over from the old 306. In late 2003 that engine was replaced by the 16 valve 90bhp version which is much more powerful and has slightly better mpg.

When looking at a second hand 307 make sure all the electric work properly, the 307 can suffer from electrical gremlins.

• Advertisement

No probs Colly,
    German is right just make sure it has a good service history. There is a lot of people that would tell you not to go near them, but really I love my car, the only reason I am changing is just to get one a bit newer, mine is 2003 and 90bhp. And my god she can move, very nippy.
    I did hear some bad reports about the petrol engines, but again dont know much about them, like everything else depends on how it has been treated in the past. And have heard that the peu diesel engines are rated very high. Think that is def true, I drove around in mine for months without the engine cap on (i know, typical women) but she never even spat a single drop of oil out, was told the engine was excellent as there was no pressure build up at all. My mam actually done this on her toyota and smoke started coming out everywhere after half an hour of driving!!

Think its all just down to the treatment of the car by the owners

Hi op my dad is on his second 307 1.4 hdi now and they are a good car. The only problems he as had is a tendency to blow tail light and brake light bulbs and also a wheel bearing(which is not common according to the parts shop who never had to source one for a 307 before). Also he does big milage and works the car quite hard pulling trailers etc and this hasnt had any effect on the car either. Just give the car a good check over and make sure its been serviced etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

My wife has the 1.4HDi 2002 Xs model with 120,000 miles on the clock.We never had a bit of trouble with it and it's just sailed through its second nct with no problems.
    Very comfortable car I must say and a miser on diesel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 collywolly123

well thats good news to hear that its mostly tail lights n small things that might happen....Its the first car that im buying with my own money, the car is a beauty i cant wait to get it tuesday..drive all the way to Dublin to pick it up...

Thanks everyone,:)
    good luck with your smashing 307's:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Sashy wrote: »
    ... mine is 2003 and 90bhp. And my god she can move, very nippy.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the VAG 1.9TDI?:D

Dunno much about 307s but I have heard the early ones are 2nd only to the Laguna for reliability problems. Maybe someone in the trade here knows more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Wife has a 05 and its the dogs, actually selling it at the moment looking to upgrade to the 308. They are fairly nippy and its at least as fast as my old Leon 1.6 16v. which was 105bhp.

is it the diesel or petrol model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

buying a 2002 peugeot 307 i.4L
    next week...
    has anyone experience on these cars are they good on the road ? all that stuff?
    i just hope its not the type of car that will give me trouble in a while,
    its nct'd and been checked with a mechanic though....

They tend to rate poorly in the reliability listings, most french cars do.
    I have a diesel renault megane, and the engine sounds like a tractor and has 110k miles but still drives okay, the electrics are the letdown on it though, immobiliser faults, bad earths on light etc.
    I think Peugeots are less reliable than renaults by the statistics.

Not trying to put you off but sometimes it can be a false economy to by a cheap car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

is it the diesel or petrol model

It's the 1.4 petrol, it's 05 and she wants to go back to diesel, that is the reason she is selling it!.

pburns wrote: »
    Are you sure you're not thinking of the VAG 1.9TDI?:D

Dunno much about 307s but I have heard the early ones are 2nd only to the Laguna for reliability problems. Maybe someone in the trade here knows more.

In response to your quote; the origional question was thoughts on the peugeot 307 from someone that has experience having owned or do own one of them!
    And I can assure you, (even though I am a woman) I do actually know what type of car I am driving!

I have also owned a VW Golf myself before 1.9TDI and I can also tell you from experience from having owned one that I have found powerwise much of a similarity starting off, prob due to the fact of difference in weight. My peugeot even though 2.0 HDI and only a small little 90bhp is quite a light weighted car in comparison to most of the VAG. I am sure though all the same the VAG would indeed prove a lot faster once moved up through the gears, but that isnt the subject here.

Advertisement