Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

In tears, need all your help.

• 24-08-2008 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I am still in tears- I need everybodies help.

I have taken my full week-end to prepare and to help a very small animal charity as a volunteer.

After mailing and phoning the Festival of World Cultures in Dun Laoghaire, that I was attending and contacting the Gardi to be told I did not need anything further and all was in order, I put up our info board today and was treated not so niecly and basically told that I needed to leave the festival or I would be physically removed !!!

Again, I am in tears, I am so embarrassed and disillusioned. I am trying to teach my 2 year old son about doing our share for a good cause and then I get his.

I could complain, but I know it's all red tape and excuses, so I want to make sure this does not happen to anybody else and I want to ensure that All Charities are welcome at this and any other festival.

If you have 2 minutes at hand could I ask you all to contact the festivals hotline on 1800 30 30 92 and ask them to review their policy on charities?

In the end it is for the benefit of the animals and also for a better world.

Thank you so much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

what charity was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

What was the reason they asked you to leave? Are charities normally at a festival of this kind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jhart

ash animal rescue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

ASH is not a *very small rescue/charity*. In order to collect money etc for a charity you need a permit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Did Ash know you were doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

EGAR wrote: »
    ASH is not a *very small rescue/charity*. In order to collect money etc for a charity you need a permit.

The OP never mentioned collecting money, she may have just been giving out info on the charity, she also said she called the Gardai and was told everything was in order. I'm sure if the Garda had thought she was collecting cash they would have told her to get a permit.

Also, if she volunteers for the charity on a regular basis, she may have a permit.

Did the festival organisers give you any valid reason for not allowing you there? Is it possible that you could have been there had you applied to them beforehand? Were there any other charities there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Which is why I wrote "etc" ;). It is the perorgative of the organiser to deny/allow people access to their event. The Gardai have little to do with that. Too many *may's* in your post for my taste, maybe the OP can shed more light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I agree, too many variables....

I only added the "may" scenarios in an effort to gain some futher insight from the OP....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

I was at the festival and there were lots of charities handing out info and looking for support but none were collecting money.
    It seems strange that they didn't allow to look for support if that's all she was doing??

thank you so much for all your posts,

1. ASH was informed
    2. charities are allowed as one of the main sponsors of the festival who is always there and allowed is a big charity (and this is a big charity in comparison to ASH, but I acknowledge that there are smaller charities out there)
    3. other charities have also been turned away (I believe the protestors for Tara were turned away last year, but I have no further info on this, apart from that appearantly they did not fit the "profile" and "were not acceptable", just what one of the festivals volunteers told me and I can not comment if the above is in any way correct or true)
    4. Gardi and festival management were informed via email and letter of exactly what and how we were planning to do the flag day. Last year a notification was received from Gardi to advise no permit was needed for this type of event and I kindly asked the festival co-ordinators again this year WELL IN ADVANCE to contact me if they needed additional info or had any questions, queries whatsoever.

My point is - I have done everything to follow procedure best to my knowledge, I have to rely on the people "in the know": Gardi and festival co-ordinators to assist me.

In actual fact, the first festival co-ordinator who approached me and saw all emails and docs advised all was in order, the next person instigated a forced removal should I not go willingly.
    Also, we were allowed last year, so what's the issue???

Maybe they did not like the home-made board with animal cases (the children helped...)

WHAT ARE WE TRYING TO TEACH OUR CHILDREN: DON't GET INVOLVED, DON'T BOTHER ABOUT HELPING?

FROM THE FESTIVAL's WEBSITE:

"Crossing cultural, ethnic, religious and social bridges the Festival aims to build a positive public response to integration, nurturing respect..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

OP, I think you should write to the Fetival organizers to find out exactly what happened as this ordeal has obviously dampened your spirits. If you were just there for info purposes and they sanctioned your charity to be there surely there was some confusion. Contact them and ask them to explain the ill treatment you suffered.

I don't think fellow boardsies should ring the hotline asking them to review their policies on charities if we don't know what their policies actually are.

I think you should take the bull by the horns on this one and write to them directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

If the OP did not have a permit in hand and was therefore asked to move on by both Gardai and Festival staff then they were obviously trading illegally. To the best of my knowledge the OP may have selling small items and therefore could have been seen by the Festival and the Gardai as an illegal trader.

As the OP did not have the necessary paper work, they could not be permitted to stay. The Festival is a very large event and there are rules and regulations that are brought across the board that can not be tailored to individuals.

Regardless of the OP having emails etc, if they did not have a PERMIT then they obviously could not have been allowed stay.

I think it would be wise for the OP to use this as a learning curve and to be aware that in future they must apply for the correct permit from the local County Council or Gardai, whichever is applicable, a number of weeks before the event etc, therefore allowing time for the proper channels to be used.

I am not speaking in an official capacity, and I do not have any connections with or on behalf of the festival of World Cultures and am only speculating on the situation as a boards.ie user.

Hi there,

thank you all so much for all the kind and supportive pms.

Advertisement