Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Economics, Politcs and Law - Course Hours

• 24-08-2008 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

How many hours a week ccan you expect to do on this course?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

first year, its something like 15 hours in first semester and about 11 or 12 in the second semester, but theres a lot of outside hours like - learning time and all that stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Thanks, looking forward to starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 WetSeal

Looking forward to it too!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Any chance somebody who's done the course would be able to give me more info on the typeof stuff we'll be doing. And even the kind of jobs people ended up getting after the degree.

I spoke to people before picking the course but it wasn't my first choice and now I'm not sure if doing it is the right thing for me!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 devinerocks

Hey im just finished first year, starting second year at the end of the month, it was my second choice but i love it now the only downfall is that if you want to become a barrister it is not a recognised law degree which is kinda ****, im a bit spooked as well seing what graduates of the course are doing like pa's to ministers, sorry like if you have a degree in all this why would you only be a personal assistant!!???
    but ridiculous. Ok rant over.
    Anyway in first semester you have to do business maths(its sooooo stupid!) and it was like 2 hours every friday morning (absolutely missable after barcode the night before!!!)
    Thats the one that most people failed so watch that one, and economics is a year long module and LOADS failed that too so watch that too!
    And in second semester id say the one to watch is contract law.
    You have like 10 hours a week both semesters but its a real library based course like the rest of the spare time you have technically should be reading up on things(which i never did....woops but still scraped passes!!:))
    Anymore questions ill help with what I can but I wasnt the most attending student so Ill do what I can!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 TheDeparted

Hey im just finished first year, starting second year at the end of the month, it was my second choice but i love it now the only downfall is that if you want to become a barrister it is not a recognised law degree which is kinda ****, im a bit spooked as well seing what graduates of the course are doing like pa's to ministers, sorry like if you have a degree in all this why would you only be a personal assistant!!???
    but ridiculous. Ok rant over.
    Anyway in first semester you have to do business maths(its sooooo stupid!) and it was like 2 hours every friday morning (absolutely missable after barcode the night before!!!)
    Thats the one that most people failed so watch that one, and economics is a year long module and LOADS failed that too so watch that too!
    And in second semester id say the one to watch is contract law.
    You have like 10 hours a week both semesters but its a real library based course like the rest of the spare time you have technically should be reading up on things(which i never did....woops but still scraped passes!!:))
    Anymore questions ill help with what I can but I wasnt the most attending student so Ill do what I can!!!!

Eh, they're not Personal Assistants. They're Parliamentary Assistants and all parliamentary assistants have some sort of degree, mostly law/B.A (politics), so you can obviously see how EPL being a hybrid if the two of them also supplies some of the Cabinet's PAs. In fact the majorty of PAs would have a University degree and a masters.

I haven't a clue why you're looking down on them, they're well paid and highly respected positions, affecting government policy at the highest level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 devinerocks

Well all Im saying is I dont want to be assistant to anyone when I get everything even after this degree done, I dont think if you have all of this that being an assitant to anyone is the best you can be or get out of it.
    So theres no need to tell me what to do, Im not looking down on anyone Im giving my opinion, which I think the whole point of boards is...
    Sorry if that offends you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

I graduated from epl in 07, we were the first ever class to graduate. Since then i decided to stay in college for another year and I am currently finishing off a Masters in International Relations in DCU.

The good and bad thing about the course is that its so broad. When 3rd year comes around you get to pick all your modules (except one i think) and by then you should have a good idea about what you like and what you don't like. I focused on politics in 3rd year and that's why I moved on the IR this year.

Depending on what you choose to do (and i know this is probably said to you all the time but...) you can do pretty much anything you want.

A few girls from the class are going down the law route. One is in the Kings Inn and will be a barrister in a year or two while a lot more are doing or have done their FE1's and will become solicitors.

A few others who were economics heads went on to do masters in economics (in trinity) and a couple got jobs in big firms, one guy working for pfizer and I think another girl is in kpmg to become an accountant.

A few other people in the class are doing masters in international relations or something similar as well.

There is only one person i know who went to work as a parliamentary assistant, and fair play to him for getting it, but i'd consider him to be an exception in the class. He was already a big part of his political party both at home and in college before he got his degree and probably would have ended up doing that regardless of what course he did.

All i'd say to you is enjoy first and second year, and when 3rd comes around pick your modules based on what you like and where you would like to go and do a bit of work.

simple!

Advertisement