Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car ideas/suggestions.

Options
  • 24-08-2008 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hey guys, I know that these threads have been done to death but I'm about to start the process of buying a new car and I have my mind 99% made up on the make,model and spec but I'm just looking for some opinions on the car or maybe suggestions on alternatives.

I've been looking at buying a 2008 Audi A4 2.0 TDI 170bhp S-Line from the UK with about 6,000 miles(to avoid the VAT trap). I reckon that I can have it landed here for about €27,000 including VRT - I have a very good connetion in the UK car trade. My plan would be to keep it for a year or 2 and sell it on for roughly what I paid for it. I thinking of something like this;

http://usedcars.audi.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=501860658

I had my head set on the A4 for months now and I was nearly ready to buy it then a mate of mine bought an elise and it got me thinking, I'm only 22, starting my first proper job and have no commitments should I go for something a bit more driver focused? I'm not talking about an elise and I dont want to be raped on insurance, but maybe a 2006/2007 325Ci or a 2008 Alfa GT?

Any ideas or opinions on the A4 or any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

that car wouldn't be worth 27k in 2 years. It would only be worth a bit over 30k here at the moment based on the new model being out and how many of them are on carzone. 07 1.8T slines going for 30k from main dealers with no bargaining.

If it was the new model for that price it'd be a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

copacetic wrote: »
    that car wouldn't be worth 27k in 2 years. It would only be worth a bit over 30k here at the moment based on the new model being out and how many of them are on carzone. 07 1.8T slines going for 30k from main dealers with no bargaining.

If it was the new model for that price it'd be a different story.

I probably could get a new model for alittle bit more but I dont really like the new model that much and I'd rather the 170bhp to the 140bhp in the new model.

Here's a 1 year old with 26k miles from a non main dealer going for €35k,

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/2.0-TDI/1146535/

I admit that it is a bit on the pricey side but the cheapest 2007 2.0TDI 170bhp on carzone is still €34k. There are no equivalent 2006s but looking at 2006 private prices, I'd say that I could get €25k+ for that car with 20k miles in 2 years.

I guess, but the 2.0TDI 170 is rare enough and difficult to sell @ more that a std 140 at the best of times. There are more 1.8T slines around in general. That one you linked will never sell.

I think you should talk to a dealer or two here, before you jump. Most carzone prices are 15-20% over the actual value at the moment imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

farva wrote: »
    I probably could get a new model for alittle bit more but I dont really like the new model that much and I'd rather the 170bhp to the 140bhp in the new model.

I admit that it is a bit on the pricey side but the cheapest 2007 2.0TDI 170bhp on carzone is still €34k. There are no equivalent 2006s but looking at 2006 private prices, I'd say that I could get €25k+ for that car with 20k miles in 2 years.

What they are asking for them and what they actually get for them are two different things.

And nobody knows what the market will be like in 2 years time. Spending €27k on a car now expecting to claw most of it back after 2 years is an expensive gamble imo.

If you are buying from the UK now for €27k what is to stop some buyer from going to the UK in 2 years time and bring one back for a fraction of what you will be asking for your one?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Am i missing something abuot the english one you posted.
    20,000 pounds = 25,000 euros
    Plus 9 k vrt roughly (170 bhp isn't on the calculator)
    STATISTICAL CODE: 40386733
    MAKE: AUDI
    MODEL: A4 2.0 TDI 143PS
    VERSION: SE 143PS 04DR / SALOON / MANUAL / DIESEL /
    CO2 EMISSIONS: 144
    MILEAGE: 7000 MILES
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION: JANUARY 2008

OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €45016
    RATE OF TAX: 20%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €9003

25 + 9 = 34 euro plus travelling costs etc.

• Advertisement

think he was saying he can get one like in the link, but for much cheaper. Which imo could be done here also.

Yeh I know banking on €27k in 2 years is a bit of a gamble but it is worth a shot imo, I wont be putting big milage on the car so if I got around €25k in 2 years I'd be very happy!

Limerick-man, I think that you have the VRT figures for the new model, I got a VRT quote for an old model, (B7 A4) and it came to be €6700.

I have a contact in the UK car trade so I can get a good few brands on the cheap. I'd be expecting to get that car in my link thats asking £20k for about £15,500 = €19,500 + VRT + Transport costs = €27k approx. Saving about €5k.

Aside from costs do people think that I should go for the A4? Or should I go for something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

I'd be expecting to get that car in my link thats asking £20k for about £15,500

4500 sterling saving on a 08 car?! there must be some dodgyness somwhere in there!

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    4500 sterling saving on a 08 car?! there must be some dodgyness somwhere in there!

Lol i was thinking that myself. Some margin on those Audi's if you are getting it for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Aside from the dodgyness of £15,500 for a 08 A4, remember to factor in an extra grand over what xe.com gives you for the exchange rate, the banks don't charge the going rate, they buy and sell at different rates to make money.
    Also don't expect to make money back, make sure you can afford to sell it at a lot lower than you think. Also, given that you have to have at least 6,000 miles on the car, and you say in two years you'll only have 20k miles on it, making that around 7k a year, why not go for some decent petrol? Find out what you can insure first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

OP beware, people can ask what they want in prices - doesn't mean they are getting them. Also, since the new A4 is out, the prices of the old one will collapse. Maybe not today or tomorrow - but in a year or so. It's just the way it goes - e.g, previous A4, E39 BMW.

Anyway, I would be cautious. It might be a big hit to take so young. But still, I like the drive - nice one.

superjosh9 wrote: »
    OP beware, people can ask what they want in prices - doesn't mean they are getting them. Also, since the new A4 is out, the prices of the old one will collapse. Maybe not today or tomorrow - but in a year or so. It's just the way it goes - e.g, previous A4, E39 BMW.

Anyway, I would be cautious. It might be a big hit to take so young. But still, I like the drive - nice one.

Cheers man, yeh I know that its the old model and the values will collapse soon enough, the carzone prices are way over inflated but my plan would be only to keep it for a year or 2 and then change to something different because I'd be getting it cheap. I was thinking about a 1.8T new model and I think it would cost me about €2-3k more than a high spec B7 2.0TDI 170bhp S-Line. But I'll probably stick with the old model.

The figure of £15,500 for that car is the approximate trade price for a 2008 57 plate car retailing for £20k according to whatcar. I'm able to get the car at trade prices because of my contact in the UK motor industry. So there is absolutely nothing dodgey about the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

I've been looking at buying a 2008 Audi A4 2.0 TDI 170bhp S-Line from the UK with about 6,000 miles(to avoid the VAT trap). I reckon that I can have it landed here for about €27,000 including VRT - I have a very good connetion in the UK car trade. My plan would be to keep it for a year or 2 and sell it on for roughly what I paid for it. I thinking of something like this;

just :(... first reg in Jan 2008 with current mileage about 5k miles, is this 'demo / test drive' vehicle ?

coz if some one bought it new and sold it in just 6-7mths after... like something 'hidden' there.... just curious....

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

I've got a friend in London working with one of audi dealership there... and just slip out from him. That several approved used cars that they have for sale (especially under 1 yr old with low mileage) actually customer return it (trade-in/exchange) coz there something wrong with that car (usually manufacturer defect / recall production batch) and then they replace it....

erie wrote: »
    I've got a friend in London working with one of audi dealership there... and just slip out from him. That several approved used cars that they have for sale (especially under 1 yr old with low mileage) actually customer return it (trade-in/exchange) coz there something wrong with that car (usually manufacturer defect / recall production batch) and then they replace it....

If that's the case it would have to be repaired to a saleable condition, especially from Audi themselves, and which should be covered underwarranty so no worries. If it had an unresolvable defect i'm sure they wouldn't be for resale

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

If that's the case it would have to be repaired to a saleable condition, especially from Audi themselves, and which should be covered underwarranty so no worries. If it had an unresolvable defect i'm sure they wouldn't be for resale

Hence being sold into the trade channel?
    Unlikely, probably, but not impossible.

Anyway, I think with the collapse of the used car market here most asking prices, nevermind selling prices, mean the days of importing, getting a year's free driving and selling on are over. As more and more horror stories emerge, and let's face it, the SIMI aren't going to keep them quiet, people are getting more wary of UK imports.

milltown wrote: »
    Hence being sold into the trade channel?
    Unlikely, probably, but not impossible.
    I wouldn't hope so, not a good idea from Audi's point of view. They will still have manufacturers warranty and still come back.
    milltown wrote: »
    As more and more horror stories emerge, and let's face it, the SIMI aren't going to keep them quiet, people are getting more wary of UK imports.

+1

Alot of people will walk away or become very wary if they see or hear English import. There is a surprisingly high amount of them being clocked. That why i was saying getting a full service history to back up mileage for now and for future reference.

Advertisement