Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulated board fixings?

Options
  • 24-08-2008 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭

About to put up couple of curtain poles, got the outside walls insulated with insulated plasterboards..Whats the best way to fix curtain pole fixings to wall...? Any special rawplus or something to consider....

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Long masonary bit , to go through the plasterboard & into the wall behind it , rawl plugs & long screws

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Having put MANY things up onto insulated walls you have two choices, depending on the weight of the object you're fixing:

1 - lightweight pictures, mirrors, etc. - drill through to the block and use standard plugs in these - we used 90mm screws with 50mm boards.
    2 - heavyweight/"point" items - you'll need to fix a wood batten to the block wall and then fix to this. If you try method 1 for heavy items (TV mounts, shelves, cupboards) then you'll find the plasterboard crumbles under the pressure as the item "rotates" and compresses it and will eventually come loose.

Good luck
    SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 43 trevdahead

you can buy a plastic screwing rawl plug in any diy store that will do the job for you, i have used them with my curtain poles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

trevdahead wrote: »
    you can buy a plastic screwing rawl plug in any diy store that will do the job for you, i have used them with my curtain poles

there is a very good quality Aluminum version of these. I have been using them for years to put up curtain poles in new houses. They have a hard cutting end which gives them a big advantage over the plastic type.

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/fixingtoplasterboard.htm

there is a link to the type i am taking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've fitted an 8' timber curtain pole with relatively heavy curtains to insulated boards just using the fixings that came with the pole (1.5" screws & standard rawl plugs). It's been up for 2 years now & no problems to report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Thanks all,poles up now so fingers X.

Advertisement