Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun cartridge found in cabin. Could this end Ryanairs free for all seat scrambles?

Options
  • 24-08-2008 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

A live round shotgun cartridge was found in the overhead bin of a Ryanair plain last week. Apparently it was overlooked by cleaning staff and later discovered by a passenger boarding at Dublin and reported to Aircrew. Could incidents like this force Ryanair away from their unnassigned seat policy? It is going to be virtually impossible to trace anyone who was sitting in that area of the previous flight. If it had been any other airline the international authorities could question those seating in the immediate area.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/ryanair-evacuates-flight-after-gun-cartridge-is-found-by-passenger-13948110.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

How would pre assigned seats help anyway? Many times when I travel I could be sitting in a pre assigned seat in row 10 and put my hand baggage in the front overhead bins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

OPENROAD wrote: »
    How would pre assigned seats help anyway? Many times when I travel I could be sitting in a pre assigned seat in row 10 and put my hand baggage in the front overhead bins.
    It will make the job easier to iterview anyone sitting within the area of the find on any of the previous flights from flight details. The current way with Ryanair they haven't a clue who was sitting where.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

It will make the job easier to iterview anyone sitting within the area of the find on any of the previous flights from flight details. The current way with Ryanair they haven't a clue who was sitting where.

My point still stands imo, what should happen is that the aircraft should be cleaned properly and all overhead bins checked by cabin crew after each flight at least then you know which flight it has been left on. What is more of a concern is that an individual was able to get this on board the aircraft in the first place which does not say much for the security at whatever airport it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

A live round shotgun cartridge was found in the overhead bin of a Ryanair plain last week. Apparently it was overlooked

Sorry to be picky but its PLANE not PLAIN

OPENROAD wrote: »
    My point still stands imo, what should happen is that the aircraft should be cleaned properly and all overhead bins checked by cabin crew after each flight at least then you know which flight it has been left on. What is more of a concern is that an individual was able to get this on board the aircraft in the first place which does not say much for the security at whatever airport it was.
    The cartridge was probably loose in the compartment making it more difficult to spot in the quick 25 minute turn around familiar with Ryan air. Unless it was placed by crew or maintenance that had a grudge against Ryanair or the relevant security.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

At Heathrow items are planted on aircraft to make sure security and cabin crew do their jobs properly.

Foggy43 wrote: »
    At Heathrow items are planted on aircraft to make sure security and cabin crew do their jobs properly.
    They are hardly going to leave these items on the plane without coming foreward after they are discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭blackbox

...and when interviewed they will say,

"Oh so that's where it went!"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

we get inspections by iaa and caa all the time usually leaving things such as fack explosive devices and gun items all the time if its not normally found during the turn around the iaa or caa/other governing bodies around europe will ground your AC had it done in stanstead to my AC not to long ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭danindublin

In all fairness,

I'm more concerned that someone got it onboard in the first place but more importantly to that, it would be impossible to determine, even with seat assignment, who it belonged to! If everyone used their closest overhead bin (which rarely happens) you still have a minimum of 9 to 12 possible people who could have brought the cartridge on board! Plus with 8 or more flights a day for each plane it could have been there since pre 9/11 for all we know! :D

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I was on that flight, fairly buggered up my day. Everyone had to disembark with their luggage, wait in a fairly cramped area (in the old temporary portacabin terminal adjacent to pier D), get thoroughly searched, and re-board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I was on that flight, fairly buggered up my day. Everyone had to disembark with their luggage, wait in a fairly cramped area (in the old temporary portacabin terminal adjacent to pier D), get thoroughly searched, and re-board.

I guess the trick is to keep quiet if you find anything:D

Advertisement