Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car... maybe! (Z3)

Options
  • 24-08-2008 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

well heres one for ye!

I am considering selling my BMW E46, and buying a 99/00 BMW Z3, i see them on carzone and am very tempted to go for it.. something like this -
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/Z3/m-pack/856699/

Has anyone on here owned/driven one of these? any help or opinions are welcome
    Damo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'd say there's a reason why it's so cheap. Just in my own mind since there are no pics of the front or rear (ie. number plates) and no mention of NCT, i'd say there is VRT involved. Could be wrong. Also there's some icon in the corner of each photo:confused:

Other than that it looks a nice car with a nice spec and colour. There also seems to be a 1.9L engine is the Z3's which i don't know the difference in. I'm sure some BMW fan on here could tell you otherwise. Other than that, if you haven't rang him, ring him and find out the full story.

Edit: The add also hasn't been updated in a few weeks so i would advise to ring and confirm it's still there before you get your hopes up:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Looks like a Six cylinder to me so not a 2.0 ltr, so therefore looks suspicious .no doubt car is abroad and he wants you to pay over the internet without seeing car cos he's divorced or gone home to poland etc etc look up other threads on scams

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

I'd say there's a reason why it's so cheap. Just in my own mind since there are no pics of the front or rear (ie. number plates) and no mention of NCT, i'd say there is VRT involved. Could be wrong. Also there's some icon in the corner of each photo:confused:

Other than that it looks a nice car with a nice spec and colour. There also seems to be a 1.9L engine is the Z3's which i don't know the difference in. I'm sure some BMW fan on here could tell you otherwise. Other than that, if you haven't rang him, ring him and find out the full story.

Edit: The add also hasn't been updated in a few weeks so i would advise to ring and confirm it's still there before you get your hopes up:D

Sound man cheers, well maybe not this particular one, there are a fair few to choose from on the site.. just a random one..:)

biggus wrote: »
    Looks like a Six cylinder to me so not a 2.0 ltr, so therefore looks suspicious .no doubt car is abroad and he wants you to pay over the internet without seeing car cos he's divorced or gone home to poland etc etc look up other threads on scams

ah i'd run a mile actually, they are ebay pics, yup probably have to be imported and nct'd, with god knows how much expence.. i must point out that i'd not necessarily go for this exact car. i'd need a service history, nct. just stuff like that to guarantee its been looked after. got kinda burnt once - it won't happen again!!!

Ya fair enough, but i'd be a bit weary of that particular one. What kinda budget have you?

• Advertisement

What kinda budget have you?

I reckon up to €13000 at max. I could go up north or to the UK myself and look at dealers, some on the net there for £8000stg, for '02 models. It seems that the arse has fallen out of the used car market!

Yup now is the time to buy.
    02, irish reg, nct the lot. I'm sure if you tried your hardest on a straight you would get it for less than 14K.
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/Z3/1.9I/1101770/

North would be a good idea but remember you have to NCT etc. etc. yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Yup now is the time to buy.
    02, irish reg, nct the lot. I'm sure if you tried your hardest on a straight you would get it for less than 14K.
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/Z3/1.9I/1101770/

North would be a good idea but remember you have to NCT etc. etc. yourself.

I'd rather a Z4 for the little extra. The Z3 was outdated when it was launched and the z4 is a far better engineered sportscar. Also has a better hood with a heated rear window.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/Z4/car/1160760/

If a 2L is your limit than a Mazda Mx-5 or a Honda s2000 is a far better bet.

Ferris wrote: »

If a 2L is your limit than a Mazda Mx-5 or a Honda s2000 is a far better bet.

Yeah i can kinda see what your getting at, its not the power or the performance i'm looking at - it just solely based on looks!!! not really into the mx5's anymore (gone off them) the s2000 isn't bad a bit boyo racery for me tho. just my opinion!
    Z4 now theres a thought... sound man thanks

actually no wait, the Z4 its 20 grand, its a bit of fun i'm looking for not a loan!!!

• Advertisement

DamoDLK wrote: »
    actually no wait, the Z4 its 20 grand, its a bit of fun i'm looking for not a loan!!!

Z3 is a total hairdressers car in my book, especially a 4cyl, you might as well drive an SLK. If you're fine with that then go for it.

I drove an S2000 and its a great car, really quick too. You wouldn't know yourself from an E46. I agree about the boy racer image however.

My next car will be an '03 3L Z4 or a Boxster I think.

Ferris wrote: »
    Z3 is a total hairdressers car in my book, especially a 4cyl, you might as well drive an SLK. If you're fine with that then go for it.

I drove an S2000 and its a great car, really quick too. You wouldn't know yourself from an E46. I agree about the boy racer image however.

My next car will be an '03 3L Z4 or a Boxster I think.

LOL i knew the hairdresser remark was coming soon! As an introduction to a car of this type 2dr cabrio - i only ever owned saloons - would this not be a inexpensive introduction??? in due course i could move up to a z4/boxster??? Plus i actually like the retro look of the Z3!!

DamoDLK wrote: »
    i only ever owned saloons

Me too, and a two door roadster is never going to be considered butch.

Problem is that they also lose money hand over fist so buying one to try out might be expensive. Also make sure to check the condition of the hood/rear window as this is an expensive bit to replace.

Best of luck with it though, also you can do a better deal coming into winter sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I have read very good things about this website if you are considering going the UK route.

http://www.autoquake.com/vehicle/inspid=4363

My preference would be the Z4 or S2000 though.

Ah there u go 6500 grand, fantastic value!http://www.autoquake.com/vehicle/inspid=4363

Ya i'd go with the Z3 over the Z4, from what i've seen with locals driving the Z4's, they're all male and the hairdresser type. The Z3 isn't too far off that though.

Now an S2000, there's food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

VRT wrote:
    STATISTICAL CODE: 41985298
    MAKE: BMW
    MODEL: Z3
    VERSION: 2.2 SPORT ROADSTER 02DR / CONVERTIBLE / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
    CO2 EMISSIONS: 222
    MILEAGE: 33892 MILES
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION: JANUARY 2001

OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €13721
    RATE OF TAX: 32%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX: €4390

VRT is a bit of a hit though. I'm very bored.

A Skyline perhaps ;)

Advertisement