Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opinion shouldn't result in warnings/bans

Options
  • 24-08-2008 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Hi I seem to be having a problem with one of the moderators, zaraba. I recieved a warning for straying off the topic when in actual fact I responded to a previous thread. I believe it was solely because I was posting my opinion which proved to be unpopular. On another thread I was asked by Zaraba "what are you on", yet I was insulted by another post (self serving twat I believe I was called) yet there was nothing done about that........any help please
    Its on this thread www.boards.ie/equestrianchat

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

You were infracted twice for the following reasons:

For starting three threads on the same topic withing 24 hours.

A warning in the Olympic thread for posting off topic ****e.
    Also infracted was the person who insulted you at the same time.

All in all, the moderator did their job.
    I suggest you read the rules of the forum, use common sense and learn how the forum works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

fair enough about posting the threads, but it was twice, not three times, and I couldn't make out what you meant ****e???? wat does that mean. And as Ive said before, I was replying to a previous post. It wasn't off topic if you read the thread. And wat about the smart post of "what are you on" on a different thread, if anyone else posted something like that we'd (rightly) be told at least to watch our tone. I would be grateful if Seamus could have a look, he seems to be the fairest person on this thread

carlybabe1 wrote: »
    I would be grateful if Seamus could have a look, he seems to be the fairest person on this thread

Seamus is not dealing with this thread, I am.

The moderator did their job and I suggest you follow my instructions in my first comment.

ah I see, so regardless of how a moderator replies to a post they are immune but nobody else will get away with it. a real "do as i say not as i do" set up! Now WHY am I not surprised, after all your posting inappropriate replies yourself, saying I was posting ****e, I was posting my opinion in reply to a previous post, end of story. Who is it you think you are to say my opinion is ****e????

carlybabe1 wrote: »
    ah I see, so regardless of how a moderator replies to a post they are immune but nobody else will get away with it. a real "do as i say not as i do" set up! Now WHY am I not surprised

If I see a problem with the actions of a mod, I'll deal with it.
    If you do not like how this site is run you don't have to use it, there are plenty more out there for you to try.

• Advertisement

youre right, and better ones too:D

Just a quick question, i followed your advice and read the rules and apparently any post that personally attacks someone should be deleted but the one insulting me is still up?????? wonder why that is

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'm not understanding what threads or forums you are talking about, can you provide some links please?

sorry Gordon, I'm a novice at this so dont know how to post links, but its in the equestrian thread under both bedding and olympics chat,

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The only visible posts by you on the bedding thread on the equestrian forum is this one. And there are no visible posts by you on the chat thread. The rest have been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Right, I'm fairly sure this is a misunderstanding because you're new and you're not entirely familiar with how this place works.

In regards to the olympics thread, you got a warning. Warnings are largely inconsequential. Think of a warning like a moderator poking you with a large stick and asking you to do whatever. In this case, the moderator poked you with a stick and asked you to stay on-topic. Nothing more - your post wasn't deleted, you weren't banned. It was just a friendly warning. You were off-topic because you went on to talk about removing other sports from the olympics when that's not what the previous post was about. :)

The poster after you got an infraction for their abuse of you, which is the next level up from a warning. Deletion/Editing of these posts is at the discretion of the moderator, they're not required to remove the posts.

In relation to the other post, I don't think there was anything smart-assed or abusive about it, you seem to have just taken it up the wrong way. Your post was very excited for a post about something as mundane as wood shavings, so zaraba was just poking a little fun as in, "What are you on, and where can I get some?". In the context of the thread, there was nothing malicious or abusive intended as far as I can see.

I'd suggest maybe taking the time just browse a little more. By all means provide your input into a thread, but it may be worth holding off responding directly to other posts until you're a little more familiar with how the place works.

In general, lighthearted stuff is OK, provided that you're not constantly just taking the piss.
    Off-topic stuff is generally not looked favourably upon, except in forums which are inherently off-topic, like After Hours.
    Personal abuse results in infractions primarily because personal abuse causes others to respond, and ruins a thread. So personal abuse is banned to prevent threads from flying off-topic. Contrary to popular belief we don't ban personal abuse to protect posters' feelings. On that note, rude posts aren't banned or frowned upon, but posters will often receive warnings for uncivil posts, unless they're on-topic.
    People can and will be "rude", and we generally won't do anything about it.

Cheers thanks for clearing that up :)

I cleared that up 2 days ago!
    And without seamus's long winded waffle :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You need to smother it in chocolate and bake it in starlight shining from the eyes of newborn kittens.

No you didnt, certainly not with the tact that seamus had (Tried to put smilie in here but they've dissappeared)

Advertisement