Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vincent Kompany

• 24-08-2008 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

I thought he was absolutely fantastic for City today.
    He reminded me of Roy Keane. This is a great signing. Ireland was excellent today as well. He needs to play for his country again as soon as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

sure if any of the managers of the top 4 played football manager they would've snapped him up years ago:pac:

When did he move to Citeh?Is his good mate Vanden Borre over with him?:L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

el rabitos wrote: »
    sure if any of the managers of the top 4 played football manager they would've snapped him up years ago:pac:
    Haha yeah, or L.M.A. manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

He signed on Friday. Looked really, really class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

One great game does not a great player make.

• Advertisement

Of course not - but he was **** hot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

he was very good.

but i'd put you mickey back in your kaks though mate, one game is all it was, against a ****e team with 10 men for the majority of it.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    he was very good.

but i'd put you mickey back in your kaks though mate, one game is all it was, against a ****e team with 10 men for the majority of it.

`City fan loses the run of himself after victory shock'.:D

Sure we'll see. I'm confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mr Alan wrote: »
    he was very good.

To be fair we should been three up before the sending off.

Regarding Kompany, he's exactly what we needed. I feel Johnson has been held back by Gelson's inability to play that holding role. Today Jonno was able to get forward into the box and support the strikers in the safe knowledge that he had someone solid behind him.

He looked comfortable on the ball, got stuck in to tackles and was generally very assured (despite not knowing half the names of his team mates!). Yes it's only one game but he's always been a good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I reckon he'll do really well at City.
    It's a step up, but not too high a step that it'd run over him, if you know what I mean.
    Their style suits him too.
    I can see him having a very good season, and being a big hit with the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

el rabitos wrote: »

Yep, he was always a legend in Football Manager

Xavi6 wrote: »
    To be fair we should been three up before the sending off.

Regarding Kompany, he's exactly what we needed. I feel Johnson has been held back by Gelson's inability to play that holding role. Today Jonno was able to get forward into the box and support the strikers in the safe knowledge that he had someone solid behind him.

He looked comfortable on the ball, got stuck in to tackles and was generally very assured (despite not knowing half the names of his team mates!). Yes it's only one game but he's always been a good player.

It was his passing that impressed me, I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Thought he played very well for a guy who only had one training session with his new team mates.

How much did he cost? Im sure I heard Martin Tyler say he cost around 6/7 million pounds :eek: (bargin) but then on Match of the day 2 that night the commentator mentioned the fee around 16 million pounds (more realistic)

Either way I think he will be a big success at City and am alittle surprised that maybe Arsenal didnt take a chance on him to play center midfield/defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

City looked good, a bit of consistency, Kompany, and the returning players will make them decent.

Any news on Etuhu, was it becase he wasn't warmed up enough?

Thought he played very well for a guy who only had one training session with his new team mates.

How much did he cost? Im sure I heard Martin Tyler say he cost around 6/7 million pounds :eek: (bargin) but then on Match of the day 2 that night the commentator mentioned the fee around 16 million pounds (more realistic)

Either way I think he will be a big success at City and am alittle surprised that maybe Arsenal didnt take a chance on him to play center midfield/defence.

Not 100% sure but I don't think it's more than £10 million.
    zAbbo wrote: »
    City looked good, a bit of consistency, Kompany, and the returning players will make them decent.

Any news on Etuhu, was it becase he wasn't warmed up enough?

Nah he's just made of glass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Not 100% sure but I don't think it's more than £10 million.

Nah he's just made of glass!
    If thats the case then it looks like a great bit of business by Hughes.

Yep a very solid bargain, just like Ben Haim.

Looks like we could be signing one or two others before the end of the week as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

It seems Kompany did good yesterday even he didnt know name of any player of City before the game as he said in today's interview:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

ajeffares wrote: »
    Haha yeah, or L.M.A. manager

good stuff he was class in that - anderleacht wasn't it that he use to be with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    One great game does not a great player make.

does vladamir smicer have, or have not got a champions league winners medal? HMMM!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

good stuff he was class in that - anderleacht wasn't it that he use to be with?

Im not sure all I know is my first two buys were always Kompany And Vanden Borre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ditpoker wrote: »
    does vladamir smicer have, or have not got a champions league winners medal? HMMM!?

Whats that supposed to prove?

You need to learn your England proper too :)

ditpoker wrote: »

I believe your beloved Alan Nielsen also has a league cup winners medal, correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So are we saying Smicer is or isnt a great player now? Based on a game where yes, he did end up with a medal but, despite scoring, didnt do anythign particularly amazing or have a great game.

I'm still failing to make the connection myself.

Stekelly wrote: »
    So are we saying Smicer is or isnt a great player now? Based on a game where yes, he did end up with a medal but, despite scoring, didnt do anythign particularly amazing or have a great game.

I'm still failing to make the connection myself.

He's just trolling me cause I do talk up the performances of the likes of Smicer and Hamman on that night in Istanbul. No, Smicer was not a great player - neither was Alan Nielsen for that matter! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I thought this thread was about Vincent Kompany. Anyways its too early to tell how he'll work out but he has got off to a great start and Mark Hughes had done it with other players before and this guy is still only a kid.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I thought this thread was about Vincent Kompany. Anyways its too early to tell how he'll work out but he has got off to a great start and Mark Hughes had done it with other players before and this guy is still only a kid.

Exactly. Another thread hijiacked buy the Liverpool massive :rolleyes:

Exactly. Another thread hijiacked buy the Liverpool massive :rolleyes:

Jaysus would ye all lighten up!! The thread is kind of silly and the three pertinent things have already been dealt with:

- how much did he cost?
    - did he play THAT well on Sunday?
    - does that mean we should anoint him as the best EVA?

Reasonable, yes, no seem to be the answers.

So the rest is a bit of screwing around between mates. So ****ing what?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Jaysus would ye all lighten up!! The thread is kind of silly and the three pertinent things have already been dealt with:

- how much did he cost?
    - did he play THAT well on Sunday?
    - does that mean we should anoint him as the best EVA?

Reasonable, yes, no seem to be the answers.

So the rest is a bit of screwing around between mates. So ****ing what?

If you want craic with your Liverpool mates then there's plenty of Liverpool threads in which to do it.

I logged in to see about 7 new replies in this thread and hoped for some on topic chat, but alas it was too good to be true due to the usual Liverpool bollox that infests pretty much every thread on here.

If you've nothing to say about Kompany then have the decency to not hijack to the thread.

• Advertisement

I logged in to see about 7 new replies in this thread and hoped for some on topic chat, but alas it was too good to be true due to the usual Liverpool bollox that infests pretty much every thread on here.

If you've nothing to say about Kompany then have the decency to not hijack to the thread.

About what? He's played one game. Revisit in January imo. As for the rest of your post - eh, wat? Seems like you need to go out and convert more people to the Man City cause. After all, you have killer leadership and example from the top of your organization! I'm sure people really could get onboard with the club. ;)

Innocent until proven guilty and all that. Once City do well I'm not fussed about anything else at this stage.

And if we keep getting players like Kompany into the club there won't be any need for a recruitment drive, success in itself will bring in the n00bs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yep, Kompany used to play for Anderlecht! I remember him playing against Liverpool in the Champions League.
    Didn't he fall out with the management at Hamburg? He could be a squad unsettler if he's not getting his way.
    But Hughes usually seems to get the best out of players and in fairness, looks a decent player who'd be suited to the Premier League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I still remember my joy at Ibrahim Bayakoko signing for Everton.

Advertisement