Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Limerick

Options
  • 24-08-2008 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Just wondering does anybody on here make this journey on a friday evening and if so how long would it usually take if I left at around 6?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

2.5 hours typically when I do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Once you pass the Red Cow it's about an hour and a half, tailbacks in Mountrath permitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

I used to do that commute every friday evening it can be from 2.5 hours to 3.5 hours. Bank holiday weekends is longer, I found it better to leave Dublin around 6.30 to 7.00

I can always remember seeing a artic or slow moving vehicle at the end of Portlaoise Bypass just where it goes into single lane.

Mountrath is a bottle neck as above poster said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

ninty9er wrote: »
    Once you pass the Red Cow it's about an hour and a half, tailbacks in Mountrath permitting.

That is a little optimistic I would think. It's approx 115 miles to the Red Cow from the Parkway retail park, to drive that distance in 1.5hrs you would have to do an average of about 77mph (not going to happen in fairness). It would take at least 2hrs closer to 2.5hrs to do that journey.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »
    That is a little optimistic I would think. It's approx 115 miles to the Red Cow from the Parkway retail park, to drive that distance in 1.5hrs you would have to do an average of about 77mph (not going to happen in fairness). It would take at least 2hrs closer to 2.5hrs to do that journey.

I can do Galsnevin to Sarsfield Bridge in about 2:15

• Advertisement

I can do Galsnevin to Sarsfield Bridge in about 2:15
    Legally? What time of the day?

You must be far luckier than I am with traffic jams and traffic lights :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Legally? What time of the day?

You must be far luckier than I am with traffic jams and traffic lights :D

That is what I was thinking there is too many speed checks along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Give or take half an hour is it?

Dubious enough on this. I do this trip almost every 2nd weekend and getting from Red Cow to Finnegans in anything less than 2hrs is very rare on a friday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Hansel

Legally?

Impossible.
    Sticking with speed limits I'd say you'd be lucky to make it in 2.5 hours.

The M7 is 60km long, that's where the legally part comes into play. That bit takes about 20-22 mins. The rest causes a bit of a headache with people hogging at 80 in 100 zones.

That's about 6pm on a Sunday though.

• Advertisement

The M7 is 60km long, that's where the legally part comes into play. That bit takes about 20-22 mins.

Are you sure thats an average of 180kph which is a bit excessive. Don't get me wrong now I don't hang about especially on longer journeys but your times just seem to be very quick.

He asked about Friday evening.

The M7 is 60km long, that's where the legally part comes into play. That bit takes about 20-22 mins. The rest causes a bit of a headache with people hogging at 80 in 100 zones.

It takes me exactly 22 mins from the start of the M7 to the Curragh turn off (going towards Dublin) and there's another 15/20 mins from there to the Red Cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

The time taken would depend on whether you are driving a car, taking the bus or the train. You did not say which mode of transport you wished to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

15 seconds, focking floored it. :D

Are you sure thats an average of 180kph which is a bit excessive. Don't get me wrong now I don't hang about especially on longer journeys but your times just seem to be very quick.

:confused: 160 would be more like it, but M50-Limerick City Centre can be done in 2:25 legally if you avoid peak traffic(which the OP could do by leaving after 6:30), I know someone that commutes once a week that does it in less than 2 on a Friday afternoon leaving Dublin at 2 (which the OP could do by leaving after 6:30).

The hold ups occur getting stuck behind people who fluctuate between 70-90 and plough through towns at the same speed oblivious to the fact there's a 2 mile tailback behind them...but if you want to talk about that join us over on motors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Don't forget about the 8km stretch of Dual "Cabbage" Way just before/after Nenagh (depening on whether ur coming from Limerick or Dublin) - when you have people actually driving at 60km there - what's that speed limit about? Then you get tailbacks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

I do the drive every second weekend also, and usually takes 2hrs 10 - 2hrs 20! Best bet is to leave dublin after 6.30 or else your sitting in traffic or slow moving traffic on the N7/M7 as far as Portlaoise. If it's a weekend give yourself minium 2hrs 30mins upwards, and prepare for traffic through all towns.
    I'm lucky though i'm after the red cow and usually heading to just after Finnegans!

Advertisement