Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

28" monitor at OCuk

Options
  • 24-08-2008 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Does anyone know anything about the Hanns-G 28" monitor that Overclockers UK have on special at the moment, for about €324 (yes, euro) plus delivery? Seems fairly cheap for a 24", never mind a 28". From their forums it appears that while it isn't amazingly fantastic, it's not a complete pos either.

link

I'm on the lookout for a new monitor, upgrading from a 19" 1280x1024 lcd, had more or less decided on a Benq G2400w until I came across the 28".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It'll work out more expensive, OCUK change the Vat rate to 21% at checkout as soon as you input an Irish postal address, don't know why cos they don't pay Vat here. They're well known for this, this has come up in several threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭12bore

Just gone through the registration and checkout, vat is indeed being charged at 21% for some reason, total price including delivery is about €367. Still, not a bad price for 28" screen (I think it's actually 27.5").

My monitor is also my tv, I have a satellite tuner card in the pc, so a big screen could be put to good use, as long as it is good enough quality.

Have to google this a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I have it here, and it's been great, no dead pixels, nice and bright. Of course it isn't as high a quality as some of the S-PVA 24" models and it only has VGA and HDMI inputs, but for the price, it's been excellent. Games are great on it, and everything is hoooge :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

I have one too, yes its a fab screen, but you need to make sure your graphics card is able to play games in high res.

I had a dual 19" screen setup, with an 8800GTS 320MB, had to upgrade to a 4870 to keep the same graphical experience in games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭12bore

Bought this monitor (not from OCUK), turned up this morning. But I can't get it to work at all.

It plugs in ok, the blue light comes on indicating power, but that's it. The screen doesn't light up at all, as if the backlights aren't coming on. It is recognised by windows, it's there under device manager and under display properties, and I can set up a dual screen display with my old monitor.
    But this new monitor just stays black. When the computer goes into standby, the blue light turns orange (meaning the screen is in standby), and it turns blue again when I wake up the computer.

I can't bring up the OSD or anything on the new monitor. Have tried it on my main pc (radeon 9550 agp graphics card, yes I know it's ancient), and a slightly newer laptop, tried the dvi/hdmi cable and the d-sub, with no joy.
    Shouldn't I at least get a 'no signal' message when I turn it on? It's not getting even slightly warm either.

Does this sound like a DOA, or am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Sounds like DOA. Slight possibility that the resolution is being set out of range (too high refresh rate maybe), but I doubt it as you've tried all the connectors.

Try set a really low res, 800*600 @ 60hz and see if thats any better.

You're right, orange = standby, blue = on.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

Ocuk have new pricing for their delivery

Advertisement