Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Holiday In Australia

Options
  • 24-08-2008 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi I'm hoping to go to Australia in Jan or Feb of next year and I'm looking for some advice. I've a few questions below and any extra advise would be great too

1. Where should i go to get the best deal on the working holdiay visa, I will be applying for the extended visa but I don't think I can do this until i've the 3 month's of fruit picking done!

2. Should I organise a bank account and phone before I go or is this just an idea online companies put in your head so that you'll use them to get the visa? If I should though who is the best to go with?

3. Where would be the best place to start off in to get a job/accomodation etc and where is the best place to look for Jobs/accomodation?
    I am currently working as an Accounting Technician and have bar, waitressing, cleaning and hotel reception experience so should be able for anthing in that line!!

Can't think of anything else at the moment so if there is any other advise you might have that would be great.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

1. Where should i go to get the best deal on the working holdiay visa, I will be applying for the extended visa but I don't think I can do this until i've the 3 month's of fruit picking done!
    There is no 'best deal', apply on line and that is the cheapest around. Don't use an agency - correct you need to actually work to get granted the 2nd visa
    2. Should I organise a bank account and phone before I go or is this just an idea online companies put in your head so that you'll use them to get the visa? If I should though who is the best to go with?
    Don't use a company, do it yourself, banks take 20minutes to open and you can open one with a passport. Phone wait to you get to Oz, again all that crap those visa companies charge you can get for free
    3. Where would be the best place to start off in to get a job/accomodation etc and where is the best place to look for Jobs/accomodation?
    I am currently working as an Accounting Technician and have bar, waitressing, cleaning and hotel reception experience so should be able for anthing in that line!!

Gumtree for accomadation in sydney
    seek.com.au for jobs
    if you want to work in a bar in Oz you need to complete a RSA course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 SquirrelOnCrack

Its been a while since I got mine but I went to Visafirst.ie. They also have a package that will sort you out with a sim card and a place to stay for the first few nights. Its a little extra but its one thing less to worry about.

I have covered the phone but as for the bank account, you will need to be in Oz to set that up. I went with ANZ, at the time they were the easiest to get an account with. In Oz you need a 100 point ID check to get a bank account but if its done within the first 14 days its less (just a passport I think). Im sure other banks do the same but thats what I did.

Sydney is backpacker central, most people start here. Loads of temp jobs and accomodation but alot of people get stuck here and dont travel as much. If you have the cash, do a little travel first. I started in Sydney and got a job easy, I found it more difficult in Melbourne though. Not sure about other cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Agree with hussey you can apply online

Outside Australia

* First Working Holiday visa
    * Second Working Holiday visa

In Australia

* Second Working Holiday visa

You can open a bank account online with the following banks.
    Open online bank account Australia

As for the phone. If you unlock your phone before you go. (Depending on how long you have your phone, should be just a case of ringing them to ask them to unlock it.) You can then buy a sim pack when you get to Oz .

3. Where would be the best place to start off in to get a job/accommodation etc and where is the best place to look for Jobs/accommodation?
    I am currently working as an Accounting Technician and have bar, waitressing, cleaning and hotel reception experience so should be able for anything in that line!!

You'll find most people will start in Sydney. It's a great city, I loved it but very easy to get caught there. If you’re not careful you could find yourself spending most of the year there not having seen the rest of this great country.

You might think of flying into Melbourne spending a while there exploring this wonderful city , home of Aussie F1 then traveling up to Sydney taking in all it has to offer , Opera House , Harbour Bridge , all its great beach’s for a while then doing the east coast up to Brisbane ( Gold Coast ), Cairns (Great Barrier Reef ) , Darwin then down to Alice Springs ( Uluru) Adelaide Then either go to Perth a bit of trip or back to Melbourne via the Great Ocean Road

This only a very small taste of what you could do . But that way you take in all of Oz . Also don't forget to leave some time for New Zealand to well worth a trip

As for work check the local newspapers and apply to temp job agencies. They will get you temp work. Anything from bar work to paper delivery, post sorting, traffic surveying.

Hope some of this helps a bit. Drop by the site if you get a chance and let us know how you go .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Ozeire wrote: »

Is this the WHV extension for fruit picking?

Aye

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 adammunday

do you have to work for one person for 3 months or just in the same industry for 3 months so could i travel around doing picking jobs with different employers and still get a second visa?

adammunday wrote: »
    do you have to work for one person for 3 months or just in the same industry for 3 months so could i travel around doing picking jobs with different employers and still get a second visa?

You have to work 13 weeks doing harvest trail work, and yes these can be with many employers so maybe 1 month here, 1 month there etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Im pretty sure you can also work in const in rural areas such as North Qld
    ( ideal to spend 3 months working there thro "winter" )
    and even Adelaide qualifies as a regional area under the scheme.

Adelaide I founf to e great fun and could be great to spend 3 months during the summer. |Do try and get away from the Bondi / St Kilda traps and the extension scheme is a good way to force people to do this.

Im going thro the sponsorship and going off shore route for a day or 2 shenaigans at the minute. I breached my holidya visa by working more than 6 months with my current employer thinking that my bridging visa I was granted as Im being sponsored allowed this.....nooooooo !

So now my case officer in Immigration, has told me the approval is a certainty, but I have to use a loop hole, as my current visa terms were breached. I need to be off shore wehn the decision is made seems I may only need to be offshore literally for hours??? anyone been thro it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

has there been a thread on sponsorship here already? I have a WHV that expires in April. I'm still in Ireland, but the relations over told me "we'll sponsor you.." It can't be as easy as that though...???

If they are trading as a legitimate business and you have genuine credentials to fit into that business and it is deemed that there may be a shortgae of skills in your area it should e ok....

Both parties provide tonnes info, company records etc etc so it would have to be all Kosher I feel to get a positie result. IM still jumping through hoops, sending off bank statements and my employer sending off bits n pireces all the time..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

BarryCreed wrote: »
    has there been a thread on sponsorship here already? I have a WHV that expires in April. I'm still in Ireland, but the relations over told me "we'll sponsor you.." It can't be as easy as that though...???

No it's not that easy. As Diamond says, they have to be legitimate business. They have to apply to the dept of immigration be allowed to sponsor people. To do this they have to provide business records, and loads of other crap. They have to illustrate that an Australian can't do the job that they are sponsoring you for. Also in your application (a seperate application) you have to provide letters from them confirm that they have offered you a job, and the salary they have offered you. You have to provide references. And you need a health check.

You right there was discussion in another thread, where most people were saying that they get a migration agent to do the application for them, but I did my application myself.

You right there was discussion in another thread, where most people were saying that they get a migration agent to do the application for them, but I did my application myself.

I did it myslef also and there were no dramas...until. On lodging you application to be sponsored you gain a bridging visa. On receving this I thought I could now over stay the 6months with my co.

Not so....apart from this careless blip it is cumbersome but quite easy to lodge your self. Just remeber what ever visa ou are on at the time while lodging it ( I was in Oz on a working hol visa ) you must fully adhere to.

Even my boss did his bits him self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ereg

Hi,

I have researched that you need €3000($5000 aus dollars) in your account before you can apply for a working holiday visa but is this for when you enter at immigration? Can I apply for the visa now and just save in the meantime? I am hoping to go in Fab 2010 and than show I have the money than......any advise would be appreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

ereg wrote: »
    Hi,

I have researched that you need €3000($5000 aus dollars) in your account before you can apply for a working holiday visa but is this for when you enter at immigration? Can I apply for the visa now and just save in the meantime? I am hoping to go in Fab 2010 and than show I have the money than......any advise would be appreciated:)

Rarely checked from what I've heard. We had a 1 minute chat with Immigration guy, mostly about best places to see in area. He stamped our passports without any questions on finances or anything else.

Advertisement