Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could me make grammar correction a bannable offense

Options
  • 24-08-2008 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

Its basically trolling for a reaction and it destroys so many threads.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You forgot the question mark at the end of the thread title.
    And It's instead of Its. Other than those you're doing quite well so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It isn't necessarily trolling - moreso backseat moderating. Some people simply can't bear to see language raped (me included) and they can't keep a lid on it. Pointing it out should be up to the mods though.

And it can be very snide - particularly in Personal Issues. A person might post something from the heart that's very painful for them and then some muppet comes along and doesn't say anything to help them, just mocks their grammar and punctuation. It could be dyslexia too so people should think before they post.

But some people are just lazy and careless when it comes to grammar, punctuation and spelling, and really, if they're posting for others to read, they could at least make the comment actually readable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Hagar wrote: »

surely it's =possessive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

I left those bad boys in for some feedback tosser to go wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Me don't agree.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

surely it's =possessive?
    Not at all, a common enough grammatical error.
    Its is an exception to the common use of the possessive. Link.

Tosser link to definition, I will assume you didn't mean to be offensive so I shan't report the post.

surely it's =possessive?
    It's a hugely problematic one. No, "it's" only means "it is". "Its" is the possessive. Yep, understandably confusing considering the apostrophe is used for the possessive when it comes to proper nouns.

Not at all, a common enough grammatical error.
    Its is an exception to the common use of the possessive. Link.

Tosser link to definition, I will assume you didn't mean to be offensive so I shan't report the post.
    I was just using tosser in the general sense. It applies to anybody who corrects my english. Or does the usual unfunny comedy routine on feedback.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Well I think

/refreshes thread
    I was just using tosser in the general sense. It applies to anybody who corrects my english. Or does the usual unfunny comedy routine on feedback.

/scuttles away
    Nothing for me here.

I suppose a capital E is out of the question?

It's Sunday night and the Olympics are over, what did you expect? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yet you do not pick up on 'me' in the title!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

I was just using tosser in the general sense.

As in the non-offensive way that nobody, bar yourself, is familiar with? :rolleyes:
    It applies to anybody who corrects my english.

Surprising that would happen in a feedback thread about poor grammar. :rolleyes:
    Or does the usual unfunny comedy routine on feedback.

What, like replying to a thread? The cheek of some people! :rolleyes:

Wow, three rolleyes in one reply. I think I'm going to have to go and sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

yes making grammar correction a bannable offense would be a good thing. it is one of my pet hates.

When talking sometimes I can get words mixed up. Some people can't seem to help themselves correcting you. Very annoying, these days I respond with - did you know what i mean/t?

its a power trip...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Dudess wrote: »
    Pointing it out should be up to the mods though.

The mods of the spelling and grammar forum ?

Because to "mod" a poster because they may not spell as well as you is just plain stupid and abusive imo.

"Always leave a bit for the other fellow" - and old saying in the wholesale fruit trade. I can't and won't do it all myself.;)

oleras wrote: »
    The mods of the spelling and grammar forum ?

Because to "mod" a poster because they may not spell as well as you is just plain stupid and abusive imo.
    Welcome to boards.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dudess wrote: »
    It's a hugely problematic one. No, "it's" only means "it is". "Its" is the possessive. Yep, understandably confusing considering the apostrophe is used for the possessive when it comes to proper nouns.
    Actually you use ' for possessive as well. For example "This is AlmightyCushion's post".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The OP word is the contracted form of the verb and could be either it is is or it has. In this case it's it is. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Trophies all round to the grammar police within threads. A post trophy for the possessives amongst us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Its basically trolling for a reaction and it destroys so many threads.
    I assume the OP is referring to this post. As the author of the post I can honestly say I wasn't trolling, I genuinely was looking for some justification for a statement which was made twice without anything to back it up. Obviously I appear to have touched a nerve.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

malice_ wrote: »
    I assume the OP is referring to this post. As the author of the post I can honestly say I wasn't trolling, I genuinely was looking for some justification for a statement which was made twice without anything to back it up. Obviously I appear to have touched a nerve.

The sarcastic thanks may weaken the case a little. If I was a lawin' man, I would recommend a blanket denial.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I propose this thread be moved to spell czechs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Grammar & Spelling Nazis are a pain in the hole. Unless the entire post is written in txt spk, then I don't see why things like this have to pointed out.
    I type fairly quickly and often make a couple of typos, but if what I'm saying is coherent I don't see why some smug tool has to come along and tell me how to spell :mad:

I think they should be banned if they contribute nothing else apart from pointing out grammatical/spelling errors

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

What's the problem with spelling properly in the first place? If you did then you wouldn't have this little problem of yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Depends on the post. I sometimes do it to rile people who are talking arse, or in egregious cases of text-speak, but I cringe when somebody makes a heartfelt or otherwise well-intentioned post and somebody points out the difference between a contraction and possessive pronoun.

Also: the thing about electing yourself as a grammarian is that you will invariably slip up yourself sometime, often in your rebuttal....

Jay P wrote: »
    What's the problem with spelling properly in the first place? If you did then you wouldn't have this little problem of yours.
    Not everybody is a great at spelling.
    Not everbody is good at english.
    And messageboards are a bit of casual discussion and not meant to be academic disseratation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Grammar & Spelling Nazis are a pain in the hole. Unless the entire post is written in txt spk, then I don't see why things like this have to pointed out.
    I type fairly quickly and often make a couple of typos, but if what I'm saying is coherent I don't see why some smug tool has to come along and tell me how to spell :mad:

I think they should be banned if they contribute nothing else apart from pointing out grammatical/spelling errors

Agreed.

There are some dyslexic people on boards and to be honest its very very upsetting to see the abuse they get. They then have to explain that they are dyslexic which is an outrage as they should not have to justify themselves to anyone. It is a different matter if they choose to mention it under other circumstances.

People use it as a one up man ship (correct that!) and to try to make the other poster look small, and less intelligent. It actually makes the poster look petty, arrogant and too far up his own arse to realise that it doesnt really help get your point across.

I honestly don't see it as a bannable offence though. I see it as smart arsed, and it should be ignored tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

lol yeh nd whi rent we alllowedd 2 use da kinda languge we use wit or m8s? use r all just such nazi's ROFLPOTATOES>

Actually you use ' for possessive as well. For example "This is AlmightyCushion's post".
    Yep, that's what I said - the possessive apostrophe is used for proper nouns but not for "it". :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Trinity1 wrote: »
    There are some dyslexic people on boards and to be honest its very very upsetting to see the abuse they get. They then have to explain that they are dyslexic which is an outrage as they should not have to justify themselves to anyone. It is a different matter if they choose to mention it under other circumstances.
    No excuse for spelling errors. Many browsers have built in spell checkers these days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement