Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could me make grammar correction a bannable offense

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

lol yeh nd whi rent we alllowedd 2 use da kinda languge we use wit or m8s? use r all just such nazi's ROFLPOTATOES>

Text speak and grammar are two different things. I can understand someones post if they don't put an apostrophe in, i cannot understand text speak for the life of me.

Test speak is a sin.
    :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Trinity1 wrote: »
    Test speak is a sin.
    :(
    I think you mean text speak :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Agreed.

There are some dyslexic people on boards and to be honest its very very upsetting to see the abuse they get. They then have to explain that they are dyslexic which is an outrage as they should not have to justify themselves to anyone. It is a different matter if they choose to mention it under other circumstances.

People use it as a one up man ship (correct that!) and to try to make the other poster look small, and less intelligent. It actually makes the poster look petty, arrogant and too far up his own arse to realise that it doesnt really help get your point across.

I honestly don't see it as a bannable offence though. I see it as smart arsed, and it should be ignored tbh.

90% of Boardsies couldn't be dyslexic,could they??

Why tolerate abysmal spelling and appalling grammar.
    Instead of getting anal about it ,the poster should try to learn from these corrections.
    Thats what I do.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    No excuse for spelling errors. Many browsers have built in spell checkers these days.

You're all heart. I have never had any difficulty reading a dyslexic persons post. They spell it as it sounds most of the time. I read it the same.

I am not dyslexic and I do not spell check my posts for errors.

And besides its the way people say it and correct it. What purpose does it serve to be a smart arse, learn how to spell, are you stupid blah blah.

Its degrading and un-necessary and the fact is you understand what they are saying anyway.

For example, did you really not understand the OPs post because he put the word 'of' in the sentence when it didnt need to be there?

90% of Boardsies couldn't be dyslexic,could they??

Why tolerate abysmal spelling and appalling grammar.
    Instead of getting anal about it ,the poster should try to learn from these corrections.
    Thats what I do.

You get anal about everything. Whats your point?

• Advertisement

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I think you mean text speak :p

Eh no i meant test speak :o

Bantham - I'm sure 99% of boardsies couldnt give a bollix what consistancy and colour your crap was today but it doesnt stop you bringing up ****e in practically every single post

Ok I'm drunk and editing the wrong post but i am sure i have a good point that you shoudl all chill out about the grammar unless you really cannot understand the post.

And i now i spelt should wrong and i refuse to correct it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Isn't the annoying tool that corrects what you typed on firefox? And many other good browsers i assume. The other "annoying tools" you should just ignore. It's the internet. Srs biznes etc etc. I doubt it should be made banable,but someone constantly doing it might need a warning to stop being so narky. Other than that, Ignore is your best option. Also,roflpotatoes made me laugh. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I believe the reason "its" is used as possessive is that it's classed as a seperate word, in much the same way that "his" is seperate to "him", "her" is seperate to "she" etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

"The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog."

See what i did there, i used every letter in the alphabet!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

faceman wrote: »
    "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog."

See what i did there, i used every letter in the alphabet!

/swoons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

queen-mise wrote: »
    its a power trip...
    Not always. It's simply something that bugs some people.
    Welcome to boards.
    I've noticed a number of people lately bitching about this website yet who continue to post here. I dunno, maybe examine your own conduct...?
    stovelid wrote: »
    Depends on the post. I sometimes do it to rile people who are talking arse, or in egregious cases of text-speak
    Yeah, pretty much the same as me. E.g. one person, who just would not use a full stop or a comma (how can people do that? It's like speaking without pauses) was saying really OTT stuff about Polish people in one thread and then outrageous homophobic crap in another, and finally I saw a red mist and commented on the lack of punctuation.
    but I cringe when somebody makes a heartfelt or otherwise well-intentioned post and somebody points out the difference between a contraction and possessive pronoun.
    Yeah, especially on Personal Issues - that's just deplorable.
    Also: the thing about electing yourself as a grammarian is that you will invariably slip up yourself sometime, often in your rebuttal....
    Muphry's (no, not Murphy's) Law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaudere's_Law
    There are some dyslexic people on boards and to be honest its very very upsetting to see the abuse they get. They then have to explain that they are dyslexic which is an outrage as they should not have to justify themselves to anyone.
    It's disgusting. And it's usually pretty obvious who's dyslexic - well to me it is anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Dudess wrote: »
    I've noticed a number of people lately bitching about this website yet who continue to post here. I dunno, maybe examine your own conduct...?
    Is 'dunno' a word?

Yep. A colloquialism but nevertheless, a word. It's not symptomatic of poor grammar or spelling.

Yep. A colloquialism but nevertheless, a word. It's not symptomatic of poor grammar or spelling.

I think that you will find that while colloquialisms are fine and accepted in speech, they should not be used in formal writing.

Similarly the use of the colloquialism 'yep', that you seem quite fond of, is not really acceptable as proper written grammer.

For a few hints, have a look at this link http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-Colloquial-(Informal)-Writing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Hobart wrote: »
    is not really acceptable as proper written grammer.

We could do this all night. :D Can't we all just make love?

stovelid wrote: »
    We could do this all night. :D Can't we all just make love?

Agreed. :D

I think that you will find that while colloquialisms are fine and accepted in speech, they should not be used in formal writing.

Similarly the use of the colloquialism 'yep', that you seem quite fond of, is not really acceptable as proper written grammer.
    This isn't "formal writing" (as in, a letter to the bank manager). The likes of "yep" and "dunno" are not grammatically incorrect like "you should of went".

This isn't "formal writing" (as in, a letter to the bank manager). The likes of "yep" and "dunno" are not grammatically incorrect like "you should of went".

I thought you were being formal, with all this corrective typing? Well then, would 'dunno' not qualify as a 'non-word', kinda like 'kinda'?

Next thing you know,they'll want our cats to speak the queens english. Bah. Lock this thread,put it in a safe,put the safe in a bigger safe,and throw it into the sea. Hmmm. That apostrophe shouldn't be there. Hmmm. Is that how one spells apostrophe?! Oh the huge manatees!

I thought you were being formal, with all this corrective typing?
    :confused: No I'm not.
    Boards.ie is an informal set-up - there is nothing grammatically incorrect about colloquialisms. I wouldn't use them if I was composing a letter at work, but that's formal, this website isn't. Comparing my use of colloquialisms to someone using really poor grammar (e.g. the aforementioned "should of went") is not comparing like with like, in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Never start a sentence with, and, but or a smiley. Never answer half a question, it's bid grimmer.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Like the woman says, this isn't a formal setting, colloquialisms are OK.

Those of us who correct others correct ridiculous abuses of language, and some pet hates. You all learned proper spelling and grammar in primary school, there's no need to abandon it no, is there?

obl wrote: »
    You all learned proper spelling and grammar in primary school, there's no need to abandon it no, is there?
    i can't tell if you're being funny or made a woopsie. This thread is making me conflustered :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Damn you, McKean!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

The only time I will pull someone up on their grammar or spelling is if they make a mistake while correcting someone else's grammar. As far as I'm concerned, it should be open season on anyone who screws up while picking on someone else's grammar.

I reckon there should be an instant siteban for anything along the following lines:
    Were the hell where you thought grammer OP?

the only time it's an issue is when the message is confused because the grammar is comfusing for the reader to follow like forgetting to insert punctuation marks and not starting new sentences with capital letters these types of post are difficult to read and understand as the message can sometimes be lost in the reading of the message therefore the reader who responds to such a message may find that they are answering something completely different to what the OP had intended to convey because of there bad grammar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Boards.ie is an informal set-up - there is nothing grammatically incorrect about colloquialisms. I wouldn't use them if I was were composing a letter at work, but that's formal, this website isn't. Comparing my use of colloquialisms to someone using really poor grammar (e.g. the aforementioned "should of went") is not comparing like with like, in my opinion.

Heh, sorry, had to do it in the spirit of the post. :D

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I don't think poor spelling/grammar or spelling/grammar correction should be a bannable offence unless it's interfering with the thread. Even then I'd be hesitant to ban anyone, I'd probably just do a bit of editing and warn the people involved to "Stop being so picky" or "Make an effort" as appropriate.

Trying for good grammar and correct spelling is a matter of respect for your readers. Well written English is much easier to read.

For those who have played the usual "what about dyslexic people" card: what about the dyslexic readers. From what I have gathered from posts on this topic before, as well as from working with dyslexic people in the past, poorly written English causes more difficulty for dyslexic readers than well written English. Many dyslexic people I've met turn out better English than the average boards.ie post simply because they have to make an effort to write. I suspect that the vast majority of poorly written posts on boards.ie have nothing to do with dyslexia and everything to do with laziness.

Very good point about dyslexic readers. And yes, there are those who are dyslexic but make an effort - e.g. Mairt and Thaedydal. I wouldn't blame dyslexic people for not putting as much effort in though, they may not have the time. It's usually pretty easy to tell whether someone's dyslexic or merely lazy and careless.
    obl wrote: »
    Like the woman says, this isn't a formal setting, colloquialisms are OK.
    Yeah, it's not "formal" to write using correct grammar, punctuation and spelling - or simply to write with some level of clarity.
    the only time it's an issue is when the message is confused because the grammar is comfusing for the reader to follow like forgetting to insert punctuation marks and not starting new sentences with capital letters these types of post are difficult to read and understand as the message can sometimes be lost in the reading of the message therefore the reader who responds to such a message may find that they are answering something completely different to what the OP had intended to convey because of there bad grammar
    Irony I presume?
    PillyPen wrote: »
    Heh, sorry, had to do it in the spirit of the post. :D
    Either is accepted. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Its basically trolling for a reaction and it destroys so many threads.

I find it ironic that YOU would be posting complaining about trolling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement