Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could me make grammar correction a bannable offense

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I have one rule with regard to this topic on any forums I mod, if I can understand what the OP is saying then its fine. Text speak and the like are out but to invalidate or to ridicule someone because their spelling is incorrect or their grammar is suspect is wrong.

Nine times out of ten you see the spelling correction post when the person cannot adequately counter the points made by the OP in their post. Its a sign that they are grasping at straws to get brownie/trolling points and normally indicates they have lost the arguement.

When I modded politics I normally banned people for the "spelling correction" post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Dragan wrote: »
    I find it ironic that YOU would be posting complaining about trolling.
    Its tough truth not trolling dragan. Don't you have a bench that needs to be pressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If school can't teach kids grammar these days I guess it's up to boards to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

gandalf wrote: »
    I have one rule with regard to this topic on any forums I mod, if I can understand what the OP is saying then its fine. Text speak and the like are out but to invalidate or to ridicule someone because their spelling is incorrect or their grammar is suspect is wrong.

QFT.

Also I believe they created a "Spell Czechs" forum for those who feel the need to correct grammar rather then respond to the content of the topic.

btw, Fixing peoples spelling/grammar when the context of what they are saying is understandable is trolling at worst, anal retentive at best.

* All grammer/spelling mistakes intentional. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Its tough truth not trolling dragan. Don't you have a bench that needs to be pressed.

LoL, the "tough truth" argument only holds up in a face to face environment. On the interwebs it's just acting the asshole mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

The thick plottens. If one was to basically sum up this thread,it looks like it isn't going to be a bannable offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Dragan wrote: »
    LoL, the "tough truth" argument only holds up in a face to face environment. On the interwebs it's just acting the asshole mostly.
    Challenging me to a fight and lashing out calling me an asshole. A clear and disgusting case of 'roid rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Challenging me to a fight and lashing out calling me an asshole. A clear and disgusting case of 'roid rage.

?! What the hell. Did you read something i didn't? Well,you've just helped make your own thread ridiculous tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I have one rule with regard to this topic on any forums I mod, if I can understand what the OP is saying then its fine.
    Yeah, that's exactly where I'd stand - I mean, once it's readable, it's relatively ok English. The only poor grammar I'd comment on would be that which is unreadable - including the streams of words without full stops or commas. I don't object to or comment on every case of poor grammar at all, and I thought I'd made it clear how I find it outrageous when people sneer at those who are dyslexic - yet still the nit-picking from Hobart as if I behave like some sort of fanatic about it on these fora. I very much don't. I don't claim to have 100% perfect grammar and punctuation - I would think few, if any, people have, seeing as there are so many ambiguities and debates over certain aspects of grammar/punctuation (e.g. "which" versus "that", the split infinitive, the ending of a sentence with a preposition etc).

Heh, here's a good example of someone making a smart-arsed comment on Personal Issues about a person's English and making a mistake themselves in the process:
    My 2 best mates have always bitched about me behind my back and i've known this but we have such a laugh together. I have other mates that are the ones i tell my secrets too though. the thing is now they hate me and ( i'm 15 ) i am the only one at my bus stop they are both on my bus they talk about me shout and me and because its the summer holidays even send me nasty text messages. I've told teachers but they won't do anything becasue her dad is really big mean and threatening. I really don't wann get the police involved so what can i do to make this stop?? please help
    Response:
    Show someone who can help you the text messages. Spend more time paying attention in English class.

:D - FAIL!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

faceman wrote: »
    "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog."

Close. But you're just one letter short.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I normally take any implication that i am on steroids as a compliment, so cheers for that. :)

In other news, you're doing nothing that would indicate you are anything other than a troll tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Dudess wrote: »
    Not always. It's simply something that bugs some people.
    It may bug you but there is no reason at all to correct someone else's grammar in thread. It is just off topic posting and should be treated as such.
    javaboy wrote: »
    The only time I will pull someone up on their grammar or spelling is if they make a mistake while correcting someone else's grammar. As far as I'm concerned, it should be open season on anyone who screws up while picking on someone else's grammar.
    As above, off topic posting, it's just tit-for-tat posting. It has no place in any forum and takes away from the thread.
    Look at all the bullshit posting in this thread about the correct use of "it's", and "its" and the mistakes in the thread title.
    It's just taking away from a perfectly valid post the OP made.

Nine times out of ten you see the spelling correction post when the person cannot adequately counter the points made by the OP in their post. Its a sign that they are grasping at straws to get brownie/trolling points and normally indicates they have lost the arguement.

When I modded politics I normally banned people for the "spelling correction" post.

Very good post, it sums up my opinion exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Close. But you're just one letter short.

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

For those of you it bugs, there is a forum that is specially designed for you on boards called "Spell Czechs".

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

A clear and disgusting case of 'roid rage.

Well, this thread has run it's course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement