Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to replace a gear knob?

Options
  • 24-08-2008 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi All,

How do I replace the gear knob on a 2002 Nissan Primera P12? I can't see any visible screws.

Cheers,
    ibook

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've never done this on a Primera but I've changed quite a few on other makes and models and usually it's like this.....

Lift up the gaiter - the leatherette/plastic shroud. Pull it backwards - up and over the knob. The gaiter won't come off so don't be to heavy handed. Look under and you should see a retaining clip which may need to broken to remove so make sure you have a new clip along with the new knob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

many gearknobs just screw off anti-clockwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

VH wrote: »

Was about to say the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

VH wrote: »

Yep some do, but I reckoned the OP would have thought of this.

If you do attempt to screw it off watch that you don't rip the gaiter - if it's held on with a clip underneath the knob will spin on the shaft if you turn it hard enough and usually the gaiter will turn too and it may rip.

In a lot of cases the gear knob and the gaiter are one part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ibook

Thanks all, I didn't know it could just be screwed off anti-clockwise, I thought there'd be a hidden screw holding it in place.

The gaiter is secured to a plastic ring around the gear shaft, and I can just slide it down.

If I twist it too hard, is there a risk of damaging the gear shaft or the hidden parts are below the gaiter?

• Advertisement

if the gaiter isn't attached to the gearknob then it's almost certain it screws off - you'd want to be using an awful lot of force to do damage

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It would be a good idea though to hold on with a (cushioned) vice grip to the column while trying to ge the knob off. Some of them will have rusted on and will take quite some persuasion to come off...you don't want to twist the mechanics at the bottom end of the shaft.

prob not a bad idea - but you'd want to be built like hulk hogan to do damage with a bare hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

If it's like the P11 there could be an embedded screw somewhere in it also. W

I bought a new gear knob & tried to fit it yesterday.

First tried twisting it anti-clockwise, no luck its held solidly in place.

There doesn't seem to be a screw as well, I lifted a bit of the leather material at the bottom of the knob, but no sign of a screw.

leex, where is the embedded screw on the P11?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There may be a recessed grub screw somewhere around the base of the gear knob itself.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm pretty sire they're just screwed in, isn't it the same geaknob as the Almera?

I used a strap type oil filter removal tool to get a gearknob off before.

Thanks for that lads, I decided not to chance it at the risk of damaging the knob. Just got a reply on the nissanprimera.net site (http://nissanprimera.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3077&PN=2) from someone who did it on the same model. So looks like I'll be trying it out :-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

First couple of posts here could be construed as a bit erotic, in a "Swiss Tony" sort of way.....

Advertisement