Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ferries

Options
  • 24-08-2008 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

only just heard that irish ferries are going to start carrying firearms again

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

About time!

They were a shower of twats to stop in the first place and have probably realised how much business they lost this year in particular the guns travelling to the World Championships.

I had this argument with them earlier in the year but they didn't want to know. Kept quoting international maritime law as the reason but they could never quote the line where it said "no guns". From what I remember at the time, there was no specific section prohibiting the transport of guns - it was left up to the individual discretion of each shipping company.

I for one won't be going back to them. I'll stick with Stenna Line and so will the other 9 guns who travel with me on our annual excursions to the UK for shoots.

By the way - they quoted "security" as the reason not to allow guns. How is this for "security".....
    Coming back through Holyhead a few years back with four of us in the car + four guns. The girl at the check in asked us if we had any firearms to which we replied yes. She read me the riot act for not telling Irish Ferries in the first place and I told her I didn't know I was supposed to declare them.
    Anyway, we were then given the special treatment after the paperwork was checked. They brought us to the top of the queue, boarded us first and made us take the guns from the car and ecorted us up to the bridge where we left our guns on the floor.
    Bear in mind that during the journey the guns would have been in locked cases, locked in the boot and on the car deck to which no one had any access.
    When we were about 20 minutes from Dublin, one of the stewards brought the four of us up to the bridge, gave us back our guns and sent us back down to mingle with the passengers!:eek::eek:

Unbelievable! For the last twenty minutes of the journey we had our guns in our possession amongst the passengers.

So much for "security".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

About time!

They were a shower of twats to stop in the first place and have probably realised how much business they lost this year in particular the guns travelling to the World Championships.

I had this argument with them earlier in the year but they didn't want to know. Kept quoting international maritime law as the reason but they could never quote the line where it said "no guns". From what I remember at the time, there was no specific section prohibiting the transport of guns - it was left up to the individual discretion of each shipping company.

I for one won't be going back to them. I'll stick with Stenna Line and so will the other 9 guns who travel with me on our annual excursions to the UK for shoots.

By the way - they quoted "security" as the reason not to allow guns. How is this for "security".....
    Coming back through Holyhead a few years back with four of us in the car + four guns. The girl at the check in asked us if we had any firearms to which we replied yes. She read me the riot act for not telling Irish Ferries in the first place and I told her I didn't know I was supposed to declare them.
    Anyway, we were then given the special treatment after the paperwork was checked. They brought us to the top of the queue, boarded us first and made us take the guns from the car and ecorted us up to the bridge where we left our guns on the floor.
    Bear in mind that during the journey the guns would have been in locked cases, locked in the boot and on the car deck to which no one had any access.
    When we were about 20 minutes from Dublin, one of the stewards brought the four of us up to the bridge, gave us back our guns and sent us back down to mingle with the passengers!:eek::eek:

Unbelievable! For the last twenty minutes of the journey we had our guns in our possession amongst the passengers.

So much for "security".

Priceless:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

this time it was stenna ,was shooting the home international in wales a few years ago coming home they brought the two guns away from us and taped the catridges in the boxes and left them in my jeep .this is the best bit on arriving in rosslare and getting back into the jeep we seen a lad carry the two gun cases he left them down on the ground at the exit and walked over to this mate i pulled up beside the guns and put them into the jeep and headed off ,and never heard a word from them ,mad or what

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ferry security is a rather bad joke. In our trips to Bisley and the Isle of Man, they've given us a lot of head-shaking moments. But it's not just firearms - coming back from Bisley last time, when Bisley was inside the quarintine zone for foot&mouth, our kit van called into the ferry and the customs people to let them know where we were coming from. They got handed enough disinfectant to disinfect about four wheel nuts, and then got left to their own devices. Since they were heading through farming communities from Wexford up to Meath, they went off and disinfected the van themselves before proceeding, but it was an eye-opener...

Advertisement