Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being funny on the internet?

Options
  • 24-08-2008 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Why is it so many people try and be funny rather than serious?
    Is it a human condition? Having read this site for a while there seems to be lots of people trying to be funny but who seem to fail?

Why is that so? I think people want to be liked and they use humour? Even over this vast space called the internet!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Repentant wrote: »
    Is it a human condition? Having read this site for a while there seems to be lots of people trying to be funny but who seem to fail?

Why is that so? I think people want to be liked and they use humour? Even over this vast space called the internet!

Turn that furrowed brow upside down chum, why so serious? Life's short, being serious sucks, there you go. We're all going to evolve in to a race of sarcastic feckers anyway. Why try and stop it?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

and anyone who replies to this thread in an-attempted humourous fashion will obviously then get a "see what i mean" reply.

anyone who replies in all seriousness then is just as pedantic as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Boards like this give users anonymity. They can create a whole new persona for themselves and pretend to be someone else in order to impress people they've never met (and probably never will).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Why would I be serious on the internet? Seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

I think it may have to do with the fact that peoples lives are so complicated and stressful that on the internet they can be who they want and do what they want, and say what they want with pretty much no repercussions

or it could be that this is after hours, a zaney and fun place, where people come to make comments about each others ma's and such

oh and if you want a serious answer to this question AH definately aint the place for it

EDIT: YOUR MA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Do you not have friends or something? Most times i'm sharing a few drinks it tends to be an flurry of attempted/(see failed <usually me>) and successful humour. There's forums for serious discussion. After Hours isn't one of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Are you a priest?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭KBarry

Did you hear the one about the two priests......?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I think most people are just bored off their faces. No point making too much effort unless something genuinely interesting to you crops up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I think people want to be liked and they use humour? Even over this vast space called the internet!

So what you're saying is that the vast majority of us seek approval from peers. Interesting.
    dsmythy wrote: »
    There's forums for serious discussion. After Hours isn't one of them.

Bingo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Repentant

So much humour...so little time...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,487 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

OP, dont click here or you might get upset

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

in b4 internet=serious business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Repentant

antodeco wrote: »

I didn't click on it. Thanks for the warning. I am un upest :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Because serious posts on the internet generally lead to 20-page threads of people arguing and quoting each other ad nauseum.

This doesn't happen in real life because on the internet stupid people can use wiki to pretend to be smart and try to grind out the 'win', which can take anything from several hours to several days.

Making serious posts is a commitment to spending an unhealthy amount of time in front of your computer, tapping away on your keyboard and defending your position, even if the other person is a total retard and unfit to lace your brain-boots. Not everybody has that kind of time to spare.

antodeco wrote: »

Should have used this one. Humour can be a serious business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

internet - serious business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Phlann wrote: »
    Because serious posts on the internet generally lead to 20-page threads of people arguing and quoting each other ad nauseum.

This doesn't happen in real life because on the internet stupid people can use wiki to pretend to be smart and try to grind out the 'win', which can take anything from several hours to several days.

Making serious posts is a commitment to spending an unhealthy amount of time in front of your computer, tapping away on your keyboard and defending your position, even if the other person is a total retard and unfit to lace your brain-boots. Not everybody has that kind of time to spare.
    What he said. It makes me laugh to see people having epic arguments online, especially in AH. Life's too short to waste your time endlessly rebutting the arguments of morons, convincing raving loonies to see reason or coaxing naive dreamers out of their ivory towers. Fuck 'em, it's crueller and more amusing to leave them in their ignorance. :pac:

There's forums for serious discussion. After Hours isn't one of them.

Yep! I tailor my responses to be relevant to the forum and the context of the discussion.
    Sometimes, a serious topic need lightening up; just a little bit, but without coming across as a troll.

I'm just waiting for someone to comment on the OP's female Parant!

zuroph wrote: »
    in b4 internet=serious business
    magick wrote: »
    internet - serious business
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

zuroph wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

What are you complaining about? You could of ended up in after it!

What are you complaining about? You could of ended up in after it!
    i know, i'd av had to failpost my way out of the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

chin_grin wrote: »
    Turn that furrowed brow upside down chum, why so serious? Life's short, being serious sucks, there you go.

complete utter fail for not breaking into a verse of classic python:

Some things in life are bad,
    They can really make you mad,
    Other things just make you swear and curse,
    When you're chewing life's gristle,
    Don't grumble,
    Give a whistle
    And this'll help things turn out for the best.
    And...

Always look on the bright side of life.
    [whistle]
    Always look on the light side of life.
    [whistle]

If life seems jolly rotten,
    There's something you've forgotten,
    And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
    When you're feeling in the dumps,
    Don't be silly chumps.
    Just purse your lips and whistle.
    That's the thing.
    And...

[whistle]
    Always look on the right side of life,
    [whistle]

For life is quite absurd
    And death's the final word.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.
    Forget about your sin.
    Give the audience a grin.
    Enjoy it. It's your last chance, anyhow.
    So,...

Always look on the bright side of death,
    [whistle]
    Just before you draw your terminal breath.
    [whistle]

Life's a piece of ****,
    When you look at it.
    Life's a laugh and death's a joke it's true.
    You'll see it's all a show.
    Keep 'em laughing as you go.
    Just remember that the last laugh is on you.
    And...

Always look on the right side of life.
    [whistle]

Always look on the bright side of life!
    [whistle]
    [whistle]
    [whistle]
    [whistle]
    [whistle]
    [whistle]
    [whistle]
    [whistle]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Having read this site for a while there seems to be lots of people trying to be funny but who seem to fail?
    Everyone on afterhours is hilarious... FACT.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Nobody fails here, we all succeed on different levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

I for one welcome our Funny interweb overlords. :pac:

http://420.thrashbarg.net/dont_worry_mam_were_from_the_internet_cosplay.jpg tbh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Why is it so many people try and moan rather than accept?
    Is it a human condition? Having complained on this site for a while there seems to be lots of people being funny but who don't seem to bitch with me?

Why is that so? I think people want to be liked and they use humour? I certainly don't. Even over this vast space interconnected computer networks linked worldwide using TCP/IP and packet switching, called the internet!

Vast space be bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

If AH became a place for ontopic debates about politics and religion I would be out of here, pure and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

In the majority of circumstances in which i could find myself i would much rather be funny than serious.

Advertisement