Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car Paint Defect!

Options
  • 24-08-2008 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Guys, I picked up a brand new car on Friday and we went away for the weekend----say no more about the weather.Anyway I decided to wash and polish it after we got back only to discover a bad paint job on one front wing. It is like it was painted/laquered over dirt. It is very rough and very noticable up close and to run your hand over it.
    I dont want a new wing or a repaint on a 2 day old car.
    WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS---CAN I REJECT THE CAR. I have no problem getting the same again as I love it???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

1) bring it back to the garage and ask their opinion on it. They may come clean and say it was damaged in their care, they may investigate and find it was damaged in transit. They may deny all, in which case you leave (camly and collectedly, making no threats and no scene) and move to number 2

2) conatact an independent assessor. If you can't fine one, people here will have details of one for you. Get the assessor to examine the car and do a report for you. Either approach the garage with the assessor's findings or ask them to approach the garage on your behalf (although they're assessors, not mediators, so don't rely on their help). If the assessor agrees the car was definitely damaged and the garage continue to deny all assistance

3) contact a solicitor

In the meantime (after the assessor has verified in their report that the car is definitley repaired) you should contact either the SIMI or the consumer association and see what the garage's liability for repairing/replacing the car is. You may not have grounds to insist on a new car (almost definitely not).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

It may have been repainted or it may be industrial fallout bonded to the paintwork. Rail dust, metal shavings and so on.

When cars are transported or stored in compounds or sitting out in the open for long periods, they can acquire all sorts of crap. This isn't always removed by dealer valetors before delivery. It should be spotless and defect free of course but alas. Many PDI treatments are done in a rush so it is normal if unacceptable for cars to have transport wrap residue, transit wax and contaminants still on the paint. If that is all it is, a fallout wash or a degreaser and clay bar will leave panels as smooth as glass.

If you can see dirt actually under the clear coat, well then it may have been repainted. Look behind the panel and at the edges for sign of overspray or where clear coat layer ends. See if it doesn't blend in seemlessly behind the panel and you would have a good indication if it has been repainted. A paint depth guage will tell the truth, no hiding there for the dealer.

You will just have to get on their case tomorrow morning and bring the car to them for inspection. See what they have to say. Unfortunately once you take the car out I'd say your rights are compromised somewhat, so a grey area. You just have to fight your corner and take no guff. Cars get damaged in transit, I see unregistered cars at my local bodyshop quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭johnf2020

I have examined the car again. I have worked i the trade so I have an idea what to look for---it is definetely a bad factory finish. There is no paint/masking lines or residue.
    It wasn't parked up as its a brand new car to the market--so new that my insurace company didn't have it on their data base.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Is it a new Nissan Tiida by any chance of a mile ? I've noticed on a lot of them the paint seems to be very poor in parts..

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

If you want to pop over to us we can do a full, detailed paint inspection. Including depth readings. Consider it if the garage don't take any action.

It could be a case of the car being damaged in transit and repainted badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If it's a Beemer, the dealer will more than likely have it sorted within a few days. A friend's mother had a really bad patch of paint on her E92 and the dealer sorted it quick smart.

Advertisement