Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RDF

• 24-08-2008 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

Anyone here a member of the RDF ?? I know there used to be a sticky thread for it in this forum. I am thinking about signing up, but it would require me to radically change my lifestyle so I want to get a few peoples oppinions/ talk to a few people about it before i sign up.

So is anyone a member, or has anyone tried out for it and found it was not to their liking ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 collywolly123

i would like to join aswell, seems to be a pretty big crowd that are going at the moment...
    I think the new year starts in october around the first and second week:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Anyone here a member of the RDF ?? I know there used to be a sticky thread for it in this forum. I am thinking about signing up, but it would require me to radically change my lifestyle so I want to get a few peoples oppinions/ talk to a few people about it before i sign up.

So is anyone a member, or has anyone tried out for it and found it was not to their liking ??

Here's some useful information!

http://www.1bderdf.com
    http://www.military.ie

A lot of people join and expect to be running around with a gun like they've seen on the TV within weeks. It just isnt like that. Its a progression of training over 4 - 5 years before you're a very well trained reserve soldier. The standard of training varies from unit to unit, often based on distance from a barracks. Waterford's closest barracks is Kilkenny so that means that recruits can't expect to be doing highly exciting stuff every wednesday night. There's a lot of stuff that simply has to be learned in a classroom.

It requires a lot of patience as the instructors will do their best to train recruits as thoroughly as possible within the constraints of distance and facilities.

Thats the negatives! The positives... check the websites above. Over time, recruits are promoted and do advanced tactics, fieldcraft, etc etc.

I'll post up here when the training will be starting again (Its not on for the next few weeks in Waterford) and its best that people who are interested come and have a chat with us face to face.

I've got a huge amount from being a member of the RDF. I've pushed myself at times physically and mentally beyond what I thought I was capable of and come out the other side. I really recommend it to patient, motivated people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Thanks Trotter, I have been looking at those sites for the last few days now, getting alot of info from them.

I read that there was a 7 - 12 week wait for security clearance among other things before you get accepted in, so would it be best to sign up asap, or is it ok to wait the few weeks you suggested ??
    A lot of people join and expect to be running around with a gun like they've seen on the TV within weeks. It just isnt like that. Its a progression of training over 4 - 5 years before you're a very well trained reserve soldier.

Lol I completely understand that, thats not a problem for me at all.
    The standard of training varies from unit to unit, often based on distance from a barracks. Waterford's closest barracks is Kilkenny so that means that recruits can't expect to be doing highly exciting stuff every wednesday night. There's a lot of stuff that simply has to be learned in a classroom.
    So since we are quite a bit away from our closest barricks does that mean that the standard of our training would not be particularly high ? Soes that also mean that we will have to treck to Killkenny some Wednesdays ??

Isn't the Naval Reserve HQ down here ?? Would it not make sense to use their facilities ??

Just in general would Waterford's researve be one of the more active reserves or the less active ones ??

I hope you don't mind me asking but would you be one of the instrutors Trotter ?? Just ignore the question if you would prefer not to answer.

So since we are quite a bit away from our closest barricks does that mean that the standard of our training would not be particularly high ? Soes that also mean that we will have to treck to Killkenny some Wednesdays ??

Isn't the Naval Reserve HQ down here ?? Would it not make sense to use their facilities ??

Just in general would Waterford's researve be one of the more active reserves or the less active ones ??

No I wouldn't say the standard of training is any less because we use lots of different training methods. Yes we do travel to KK from time to time, and beyond. The army's structure means that you tend to travel all over the country at times, but initially, mainly Kilkenny. Its less than an hour up so its not a big deal at all. We travel together on military transport and thats where half the craic is.. getting to know the lads/ladies in the unit with you.

The Navy use the same facilities as us. While they're excellent at what they do, they do have easier access to a key area of their training... Water :)

Waterford is part of the 33rd battalion which is very active. There's quiet times and busy times, and I'm hoping to see a lot of new faces this year.

Ah thats good to hear I was dreading having to figure out how to get to KK :P .

Would you be able to go through how an average wednesday night would go ??

• Advertisement

Ah thats good to hear I was dreading having to figure out how to get to KK :P .

Would you be able to go through how an average wednesday night would go ??

Drop up when it kicks off and we'll go through the standard stuff with ya k?

Alright, thanks for the info man, its been helpfull!

Don't forget to let us know here when you are starting everything up again! I don't want to miss it.

Lol you guys are going to laugh your asses off when I walk in the door. I doubt you get many like me in too often :P :D .

Alright, thanks for the info man, its been helpfull!

Don't forget to let us know here when you are starting everything up again! I don't want to miss it.

Lol you guys are going to laugh your asses off when I walk in the door. I doubt you get many like me in too often :P :D .

Hmmmmm why??? :D

If you resemble Jeff Lebowski, I'd visit a barber before you arrive!!

Oh and on your question about applying to join now.. You could try and drop into the barracks around 11am some weekday morning and if the PDF staff are there, they might be able to start the process. I'd say though to hang on until you know what its all about when you come up on a wednesday night.

Bring 2 passport photos and your birth cert.

Trotter wrote: »
    Hmmmmm why??? :D

If you resemble Jeff Lebowski, I'd visit a barber before you arrive!!

You hit the nail on the head :D. I have not had my hair cut in about 5/6 years, but also I am carrying a little more weight then he ( Lebowski ) would have been ;) . As I said if I go ahead with this it will require a radical change to my lifestyle, which is why I want to get as much info as I can before I make my choice.

Oh and on your question about applying to join now.. You could try and drop into the barracks around 11am some weekday morning and if the PDF staff are there, they might be able to start the process. I'd say though to hang on until you know what its all about when you come up on a wednesday night.

Bring 2 passport photos and your birth cert.

Alright I will just leave it till you mention that they are taking in more recruits.

You hit the nail on the head :D. I have not had my hair cut in about 5/6 years,

Oh God....
    but also I am carrying a little more weight then he ( Lebowski ) would have been ;) . As I said if I go ahead with this it will require a radical change to my lifestyle, which is why I want to get as much info as I can before I make my choice.

Fair play to you so.. 99% of the fitness involved comes from your own habits at home.. i.e. at the moment, you won't be trained in fitness by the army. You'll need to work on that yourself.

Having said that, its common for lads in the RDF to meet up outside of training times to run etc. Its not official army business but we do train independently ourselves. Its certainly an excellent motivator for you to get yourself in shape though!

• Advertisement

Trotter wrote: »
    Oh God....

Heheh, told you you wouldn't have seen the like of me before :P :D .

Fair play to you so.. 99% of the fitness involved comes from your own habits at home.. i.e. at the moment, you won't be trained in fitness by the army. You'll need to work on that yourself.

Having said that, its common for lads in the RDF to meet up outside of training times to run etc. Its not official army business but we do train independently ourselves. Its certainly an excellent motivator for you to get yourself in shape though!

Yeah I was expecting to have to do the majority of it on my own. I am never going to be a fitness freak, but I do want to get to the stage where I could do most of whatever tasks would be required of us at camp without dieing :P. I found some info on the 1st bderfd site about training schedules etc so I might try and follow that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

In those excitin ads on tv they should show the irish navy arrestin some poor chap for overfishin. Or the army standing outside banks :p

This might interest you.. Its aimed at people intending to go for the fulltime officer cadets, but the testing methods are generic across the defence forces.. i.e. thats the kind of sit up you need to be able to do.. etc.

Fitness

Anyways I'll post back here when I know what date we're starting again.

Get a haircut :P

Thanks for the link, hopefully it should be of some use !!!

I'll get the hair cut once I have been there and decided whether or not I want to go ahead with it :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

dont surrender to THE MAN christoph :P

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

Im a member in Waterford 33rd batt its very good and enjoyable esp when we got to carrickbyrne which before the summer was every week.

Im not going to lie but the hardest bit is waiting for the paperwork.Also there soundest bunch of lads and you'll definatly enjoy it recommend it to anybody.

Trotter are you in the 33rd if so wonder who you are:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Ive been in the RDF (in McKee barracks) for the last 2 years but seen as Im moving to Waterford I'll be putting in for a transfere to the 33rd Infantry.

Right lads and ladies, we're back in business. Wednesday nights from 8pm in the Barracks. Recruits should bring 2 passport photos and birthcert.

We're hoping to put together a good sized group of recruits and train them together over the next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭greenarrow

Anyone who may be interested in joining the RDF might also be interested in checking out this site:

www.bebo.com/62LSBMedCoy

On the page it has a great deal of information about what members of the RDF Medical Corps actually do. With a very informative photostream and blogs about some of the training that they actually do.
    And as all recruits do the same training that all RDF recruits do, it makes a bit of sense to join a unit where you can learn something that you can apply andtake out of the army with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Infantry all the way :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement