Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

total n00b looking for info...

• 24-08-2008 9:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

So i'm a total n00b when it comes to anything other than a basic phone.

When i get back to Ireland next month i'll be looking for a phone and a payment plan.

I'd like to get a blackberry or something similar which will allow me to send/receive emails and basic web browsing (like boards)... For instance a friend of mine has one and he gets an alert when he receives an email, i thought that was cool to have that kind of thing available to you 24/7

Just some questions...

What's it like browsing on one of these things, on my old nokia i could go on boards and stuff but it was soo slow and the screen was so small that it was an annoyance more than anything. Is it fast and is everything accessible?

What is the cost? Do you pay to check emails and stuff? Me = clueless. :o

What phone would you recommend? doesn't have to be a blackberry. and...

What contract would you recommend, i don't really use a phone all that much so i don't think i'd want to pay more than 30-40 euro a month.

Could i get a phone cheaper here in Canada and be able to use it in Ireland?

Thanks!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

you can get an lg viewty on 3 for €79 and a €29pm price plan that should cover all your data, texts and voice.....if you want something simple you can pick up the nokia 3120 for free....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

You can get a Blackberry 8110 (with built in GPS) from O2 for €49 on a new connection
    Choose the 12 month O2 Clear 50 tariff and Blackberry tariff and your bill will be €34.99 a month. This includes 50 "any network" minutes and 50 sms and unlimited email and web browsing. See here http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/BlackBerry+offer/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thanks for the responses guys.

What about the an iphone 3G? It looks feckin awesome and it seems a lot more user friendly than most.

Trouble is it seems to be out of stock everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Thanks for the responses guys.

What about the an iphone 3G? It looks feckin awesome and it seems a lot more user friendly than most.

Trouble is it seems to be out of stock everywhere.

iPhone = Disaster, avoid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

The good news is that resolution, screen sizes and speed have all improved. The N95 8GB would be a good place to start,
    All of the networks have some sort of data add-on for about 10-15 euros a month, with 3 being the best value for PAYG. There's a sticky above with details.

• Advertisement
Advertisement