Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chemicals in drink

• 24-08-2008 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

I often hear people they've switched from Bud and carlsberg because of all the chemicals, to Heineken and Coors because they're made with little or no chemicals.

So firstly, apart from C and H, what other beers have no chemicals as such and

secondly, why doesn't Diageo come up with a way to make Bud and Carl WITHOUT as many chemicals.

mal.
    Tagged:

Comments

malene wrote: »

secondly, why doesn't Diageo come up with a way to make Bud and Carl WITHOUT as many chemicals.

mal.

It probably wouldn't matter if they did, bud and carlsberg would still be tasteless crap. Try hoegaarden,leffe,duvel,erdinger,paulaner or schofferhofer instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Go for German beers, under their beer purity law you can only include water, hops, barley-malt and either yeast or sugar to ferment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

taram wrote: »
    Go for German beers, under their beer purity law you can only include water, hops, barley-malt and either yeast or sugar to ferment.

Bingo was just about to say the same thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I often hear people they've switched from Bud and carlsberg because of all the chemicals, to Heineken and Coors because they're made with little or no chemicals.
    I very much doubt that production methods at Heineken Ireland are any better than Diageo's. Have these people told where they read that Heineken and Coors were made with "little or no chemicals"? 'Cos you won't find it on the packaging anywhere.
    So firstly, apart from C and H, what other beers have no chemicals as such
    One good rule, for bottled or canned beer, is never drink any of them that don't give you a full list of ingredients on the packaging. As other people have said, German law means beer made in Germany can only contain the basic ingredients (note that this doesn't go for German beer made elsewhere, like Dundalk-brewed Warsteiner, though it may well have ingredients or a purity promise on it anyway). But for non-German draught beer, your only option is the craft ones: Porterhouse, Franciscan Well, Galway Hooker and Carlow Brewing are all additive free.
    Because the shelf-life wouldn't be as long. Because the head wouldn't look as nice. Because there's a danger that some pints might be slightly different from others. Because it would make them less money, basically. They can still get rich without the custom of people like you and me who care about what's in the beer they're drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 stillhere08

BeerNut wrote: »
    But for non-German draught beer, your only option is the craft ones: Porterhouse, Franciscan Well, Galway Hooker and Carlow Brewing are all additive free.

Does this mean that for e.g. draught Guinness, Beamish contain lots of chemicals

I would recommend the Carlow O Haras stout btw

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Does this mean that for e.g. draught Guinness, Beamish contain lots of chemicals
    I'd imagine so. Though since they point-blank refuse to tell us what's in their beer and there's no legal obligation for them to do so, I couldn't say which ones. But there's a raft of preservatives and foam enhancers and stabilisers and the like that would be normal in any industrially-produced Irish beer.

Advertisement