Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

updating and syncing iPhone on different computer

• 24-08-2008 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

The computer that I registered my iPhone with, the computer with all my music and Store purchases etc, died about 3 months ago.

I've only recently replaced it with a new system. I downloaded iTunes to the new PC tonight because I wanted to get the latest software update for the phone, as I haven't been able to update it in months.

When I connected the phone to iTunes and tried to download the update, it told me that by updating on this computer I will lose all of my music files, and that if I wanted to keep the music I'd need to update on the computer the iPhone is normally synced with (which, as said, is impossible because it's dead).

This seems insane. This means I'll need to spend hours building up my music library on the new PC, and when I update the iPhone i'll lose all the albums i had bought from the iTunes Store, but foolishly never backed up onto CD.

Is there any way to create a back-up of the content currently on the phone, so that I can update it and then re-load it with all my music??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

As far as I know, you select Advanced and Consolidate Library and it backs them all up to a new location on that PC, but maybe somebody can verify this

I also think you have to go into Store-Authorize Computer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Which is why the iPhone is a disaster, who do Apple think they are imposing these restrictions on owners of the iBrick, I mean you have paid through the nose then they shaft you once more with restrictive update / backup policies, what a load of rubbish TBH

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

does ephod not work?

http://www.ephpod.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

for tracks purchased on iTunes, you just need to authorize your new computer and it will allow you to transfer your purchased tracks from the phone to the computer. You can have up to 5 authorized comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1420

The link above explains about adding authorization to play music purchased from itunes

• Advertisement
Advertisement