Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on sharing broadband connection,

Options
  • 24-08-2008 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Folks,
    A friend of mine lives in the country. Most of the houses on his particular road cannot get ADSL broadband because the telephone lines are shared amongst many households. One of the exceptions on the road is his mother who according to the Eircom test page could get broadband.

My friend thinks that it would be a good idea to get broadband into his mother's house and then share the connection to his house. The distance between his house and his mothers is around 300 meters. The possibilities are extended WiFi or physically running an Ethernet cable between the two houses.

From my limited knowledge of broadband and networks I can think of a number of issues with this proposal:
    1. The WiFi solution would require wireless routers beyond the standard domestic issue. Expense might be an issue.
    2. 300 meters of ethernet cable is a lot of cable and again expense would be an issue as well signal quality over such a distance.
    3. Presumably the terms and conditions that Eircom specify in their customer agreement include a limit of one connection per household.

Thus, my question to the forum is straightforward: do you have any experiences or technical insights that would be useful to my friend?
    Thank you,
    Gruntler
    P.S. I am not my friend. I have a functioning broadband connection via wireless. :-}

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭nohopengn

If the distance between the houses is 300m, running ethernet cable is not really an option - ethernet cable has a limit of approx 90-100m before a repeater is needed.

Is the house with the BB connection at a higher or lower elevation than your friends house? This will make a big differance as to which solution may work best.

One option, as you yourself pointed out would be to try and share the BB via WiFi.
    You have a few options:
    1) setup a point to point link, more details can be found here: http://wifi-modification.blogspot.com/2007/04/making-point-to-point-wireless-links.html
    2) Try using high-powered devices (AP/Router & Client device)
    3) Using a mimo Router with external antenna and at your friends house be sure to use a MIMO client adapter (make sure the AP & Client adapter are the same make).

With regard to eircom, they don' restrict you to one connection per house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gruntler

Thank you nohopengn,
    The house which would have the BB connection is slightly higher than my friend's house but the topography of the land means that there is only line of sight from the upper floor of each of the two houses.

I looked at the link you provided and it is very informative. My knowledge of networking is pretty crude but I guess the arrangement would be as follows:

In the mother's house a ADSL Modem from Eircom connecting to a wireless router connected to an antenna such as the wireless antenna mentioned in the article which broadcasts to a WiFi enabled computer in my friend's house.

The problem now is the topography: does my friend need additional equipment beyond the standard WiFi connector to recieve the boosted signal?

Thanks
    Gruntler.

Advertisement