Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIAB settlement time frame

Options
  • 24-08-2008 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Just wondering from people who've had the pleasure... i was involved in a motor accident, and settled with the personal injuries board. They said they sent out their letter detailing how much i was awarded to my solicitor and they claim its all up to her to finish the process. Does anyone know how long it will now take? The solicitor will have to get in touch with the other drivers insurance company but I'm wondering will this be another month or two month wait, or a matter of a week or two? I know, I'm optimistic...

Cheers all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Usually insurance companies are very quick at paying out settlement sums so hopefully you won't have too long to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

You shouldn't seek legal advice.

However this question seems to be more about how long insurance companies in practice take to pay on a PIAB determination as opposed to asking questions about the legal rights and/or duties of various parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JD24

Once the Assessment has been accepted by both parties PIAB will send an "Order to Pay" to the Insurance Company and then close their file. The Insurance Company will then send on the cheque to your Solicitor. Depending on the insurance company, this could be a matter of weeks or months. Ring your solicitor for an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

PIAB should have sent you a copy of the letter they sent your solicitor also. For them to proceed with the 'Order to pay', you need to sign the acceptance letter which would have been sent to your solicitor. If your solicitor hasn't mentioned this to you contact them and ask about it as I believe the offer does expire after a specified term. This would have been detailed in the letter you should have received a copy of also.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JD24

ger101 wrote: »
    settled with the personal injuries board.

I assume this to mean that you have in fact seen the letter from PIAB with the assessment details and accepted the assessment.....

PIAB does send a letter to both you and your Solicitor. If you have not seen this, get on to your Solicitor as you have only 28 days from the date of receipt of the letter to either accept or reject the assessment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement