Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports clubs that welcome new members

• 24-08-2008 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Is anyone here a member of a sports club that welcomes new adult members?

For over a year I've been looking to start a new team sport from scratch and I've just found it impossible to do. Each club seems to be a closed shop in terms of encouragement of newbie adult members.

Tag rugby was brilliant and myself and a bunch of friends had great craic while it lasted.. but now its over!

I'd love to hear from Waterford boardees who know their club welcomes and not just tolerates new members.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I know this will probably get a few scoffs, but the mens hockey team used to be quite welcoming. There were a bunch there that were kind of elitest and all about the win, but one of the main trainers there was really nice and really did his best to include everyone. I know the mens side of the team called it a day a few years ago due to low numbers, but i think I heard something about them reforming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I know this will probably get a few scoffs, but the mens hockey team used to be quite welcoming. There were a bunch there that were kind of elitest and all about the win, but one of the main trainers there was really nice and really did his best to include everyone. I know the mens side of the team called it a day a few years ago due to low numbers, but i think I heard something about them reforming.

Are you involved yourself??

Not anymore, I quite when I was about 16 cause I had to start playing with the mens team at that stage, and I was just not up to their standard at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 NickyK

Don't know if it would be your thing but Billy o Sullivans kick boxing gym always welcomes new members. Tue and Thurs 8 until 9-45. 7 euro a session. Excellent training, keep fit and self defence.

Billy is a great guy, did a bit with him in school .

• Advertisement

Cheers, its more of a new team sport I'm after. I've heard great things about the martial arts options in Waterford. Its not really my thing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'd love to get into hockey but surprised there's no team in Waterford. I'm back playing volleyball tonight or Wednesday night, hopefully within a year I'll be back on the Irish squad.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

The Comeragh Cycling Club is always open to new members. Join the message board and I'll chat with you from there. Check out www.comeraghcc.com.

I know the Athletics club (www.waterfordac.com) and the Triathlon club (www.waterford-triathlon.com) welcome new members too. Don't forget the winter running legaue is starting in a couple of months, always a huge turnout.

Sorry, I noticed you mentioned teams. The above aren't exactly team sports. Check out this list for contacts.

http://www.waterfordsportspartnership.ie/csv.cgi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

does anyone know if the aol basketball club is for adults as well as children?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

shapez wrote: »
    The Comeragh Cycling Club is always open to new members. Join the message board and I'll chat with you from there. Check out www.comeraghcc.com.

+1 for a cycling clun, although it's not really a team sport ..

have you ever thought of badminton - there's a good club there in lady lane and another out at the brasscock, technically I know it's only doubles you can play but it is good fun.

• Advertisement

I've played badminton a good bit before. Its great craic alright. I think I'll just miss the team training part of the tag rugby, but Im certainly not fit/strong/big enough for regular rugby :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Hi OP
    just got a info leafet to my young club about "Rag-ball " which are looking to start a league soon in Waterford , its Tag- Rugby and Soccer Teams . This may be something you could look into, There may be teams looking for players

INFORMATION

info@rag-ball.com.
    www.rag-ball.com

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Rockman, I think that will be held in the Kingfisher Club. I was asked to play in a tag rugby team there so it should be interesting after playing in Waterford RFC this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Trotter if you enjoyed Badminton you should come back, It's great on a wednesday night we have a laugh.

wasn't there a 5 a side soccer league looking for people to join during the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

My husband plays badminton in the Brasscock. They're a very friendly bunch and have a good social side as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

St pauls have a junior hurling team which train in the Mt sion hurling pitch and they only started up and are looking for members.There also not taking it to serious so its enjoyable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ilonaB

I would love to play badminton but hqve some trouble in finding a club that takes new members. Anybody some sugestions. I live in Firhouse but anything on the south-side of the city is welcome.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Tallaght Rugby club are running Tag Rugby for the summer on Thursday nights in assocation with www.irfu.ie

New members are always welcome, no matter what level you are at for Rugby Union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Tallaght is a bit of a "commute" from Waterford though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Didn't realise you were in Waterford!! Just a bit of a drive :):):)

Well for anyone else in the local area we always welcome new members for Tag Rugby or Rugby Union.

Hope you find a team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement